Aug 22, 2011, 10:00 PM EST
Cory Sullivan never officially announced his retirement after the Phillies let him go from Triple-A earlier this year, but he’s done as an active player and is looking for a front-office job, the Denver Post’s Troy Renck reports.
Sullivan, a six-year major league veteran, hit .271/.327/.381 in 1,127 at-bats, most of them coming with the Rockies. He was Colorado’s primary center fielder for much of 2005 and ’06 — his claim to fame came on Apr. 9, 2006, when he became the first player since 1951 to triple twice in an inning – but then the Rockies traded for Willy Taveras to start over him in 2007.
Sullivan always had more of a fourth outfielder’s skill set anyway. However, he had a surprisingly hard time finding work as a reserve. After spending most of 2008 in the minors with the Rockies, he did play fairly well for the Mets in 2009, hitting .250/.338/.382 in 157 at-bats. Still, he again struggled to find work afterwards and that he hit just .188 in 64 at-bats for the Astros in 2010 pretty much ended his career.
So now, having just turned 32, Sullivan is looking to break into some team’s scouting department, with higher aspirations along the way. Former teammates Troy Tulowitzki and Chris Iannetta both believe he has what it takes to advance.
“He was brutally honest. And he knows the game,’’ Tulo said. “He’s had success, and he’s failed. He’s been in different situations. Those things can only help you, in my opinion, if you go into the front office.’’
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 67
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 25
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 66
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners 256
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (257)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (101)
- Robinson Cano signing only bad if the Mariners stop now (93)