HBT Weekend Wrapup

Aug 22, 2011, 8:20 AM EDT

midnightcowboy

I think half the time I write that as “Weekend Wrapup” and half the time I write it as “Weekend Wrap.”  Eh, consistency is overrated.

• That A.J. Burnett-Joe Girardi business from Saturday night.  True Fact: I landed in New York at about 9:30 AM yesterday morning. My cab driver, however, already had detailed inside information about all of this from “a guy who knows a guy who [he] used to work for who works for the Yankees now.” From nine hours earlier. When the Yankees were in Minnesota. He says the media got it all wrong and that “there’s a whole f**kin’ bigger story there that the Yankees ain’t gonna tell nobody.” But my cab driver knew it. OK.
  • Chipper Jones is coming back next year. Bloggers: set your macros for “day-to-day with ____ soreness.”
  • K-Rod is open to returning to the Mets next year. The Mets could not be reached for comment because they knocked their phones off the hook while convulsing from the most violent laughing fit in recorded history.
  • Brian Cashman doesn’t want to be the Cubs’ GM.  Or the Orioles or anyone else’s for that matter. Because while he appreciates that folks like to write stories about him going various places, he is not, in fact, certifiably insane.
  • The Yankees could maybe be interested in Rich Harden. I suppose “Harden beating the Red Sox in Game four of the ALCS after the Sox passed on him due to his medicals back in July” would make for interesting off-season fodder in Boston.
  • I can’t decide if 2011 will be known as the “The Year of Appendectomies” or “The Year of Oblique Strains.”
  • Give ‘em enough rope
  • Jeff Jered Weaver signed a big contract extension. Some folks are saying that he cost himself many millions by signing now instead of when he hits free agency after 2012. That’s probably true. It’s also true that to get those extra millions he’d likely have to at least entertain the notion of going to New York, the city that helped chew up and spit out his older brother, and to bypass the chance to stay in beautiful Southern California and the pitcher-friendly AL West for a sum that will set him and his descendants up for several generations. So no, I’m not gonna get on the guy for this.
  • The Pirates locked up young talent. Kind of a new approach for them. No, not the spending money part. The having young talent part.

Into the week we go. And if I seem more chipper than usual this week, realize that my kids go back to school tomorrow. And, for the first time they’re both gone all day, five days a week.  Don’t get me wrong — I love my kids and love havin’ ‘em around — but now I can blog pants-free while listening to The Dead Kennedys cranked up to 11. At least until about 3:45pm when they get off the bus.

The kids I mean. Not the Dead Kennedys. They would have no business riding a school bus in my neighborhood.

1. Alex K - Aug 22, 2011 at 8:47 AM

Umm…not to pick nits or anything, but didn’t Jared Weaver sign the contract?

• dodger88 - Aug 22, 2011 at 8:53 AM

Considering the Angels traded for Vernon Wells, I wouldn’t put signing Jeff Weaver past them.

• Alex K - Aug 22, 2011 at 8:57 AM

• heyblueyoustink - Aug 22, 2011 at 8:59 AM

See what happens when you blog pantsless Craig?

No Holidays in Cambodia today buddy boy.

2. bcopus - Aug 22, 2011 at 8:56 AM

Most radios go to 10 Craig. You’re lucky- yours goes 1 louder.

• bigxrob - Aug 22, 2011 at 9:07 AM

Craig can also blog at 110 % capacity

• phukyouk - Aug 22, 2011 at 9:24 AM

“That’s impossible, no one can give more than one hundred percent, by definition that is the most anyone can give”

• cur68 - Aug 22, 2011 at 10:17 AM

Agree 10000%. LOL.

• phukyouk - Aug 22, 2011 at 10:48 AM

seriously? a thumbs down to the greatest simpsons episode EVER???? and it works so well into this blog.

• Old Gator - Aug 22, 2011 at 4:12 PM

Not true. One may give in excess of one’s total mass by extruding a small percentage of one’s astral self into three dimensional spacetime.

• yankeesfanlen - Aug 22, 2011 at 4:16 PM

Yeah, Gate, I do that all the time after too many gin & tonics at the beach.

3. jimatkins - Aug 22, 2011 at 9:43 AM

Many years ago, I got to meet Jello Biafra. Brush with greatness.

4. Sportsdrenched - Aug 22, 2011 at 9:54 AM

I bet your cab driver listens to a lot of “Coast to Coast” on his night shift. Because he thinks it’s actual news, not because it’s funny.

5. yankeesfanlen - Aug 22, 2011 at 10:20 AM

NYC mistake #2 – Listening to a hack. That’s what iPods are for. Also, don’t look for that “Midnight Cowboy” neighborhood. It’s been gentrified for years.

6. cur68 - Aug 22, 2011 at 10:24 AM

Yankees getting Harden would be just about as clever a move as they could make with the given talent available. He looks pretty good. Mixes his + fastball with lively looking breaking stuff and changes speed exceptionally well. Pitching against the Jays he seemed able to throw anything for a strike and make off plate pitches seem so tempting that some pretty good hitters were flailing like AA batters. Now if he can keep all the pieces of his throwing arm together for a change, that would be worth watching. Always like to see another Beaver Wrangler on The Universe.

7. drewmunny - Aug 22, 2011 at 7:16 PM

A bus? Don’t be silly, The Dead Kennedys wouldn’t ride the bus through your neighborhood. They’re much too busy downtown in the police truck. Gosh. I thought everyone knew that…..

Three legends off to Cooperstown