Aug 22, 2011, 9:43 PM EST
The odds of seeing Jose Contreras pitch for the Phillies again this season just took a real hit.
Phillies pitching coach Rich Dubee told Todd Zolecki of MLB.com that Contreras had his bullpen session cut short earlier today because his elbow was “barking.” He was originally scheduled to throw a bullpen session over the weekend, but the Phillies pushed him back after Dubee determined that “he wasn’t ready.”
Contreras hasn’t pitched since June 19 due to a strained right forearm. The veteran right-hander has a 3.86 ERA, five saves and a 13/8 K/BB ratio over 14 innings prior to the injury.
While Contreras is now scheduled to see a doctor for further evaluation, the news is more encouraging for Joe Blanton. He threw off a mound earlier today with no issues and could still return in September as a reliever. The 30-year-old right-hander hasn’t pitched since May 14 due to elbow inflammation.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 82
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (161)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)