Aug 22, 2011, 7:33 PM EDT
The Mets have lost three in a row and nine out of 11 to fall six games under the .500 mark, but they are close to getting a much-needed boost for their lineup.
According to Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com, Jose Reyes is set to begin a minor league rehab assignment Thursday with Double-A Binghamton.
Reyes, who hasn’t played since aggravating his left hamstring on August 7, ran the bases for the first time before tonight’s game against the Phillies and plans to do so again tomorrow.
“Less tomorrow because I’m getting close to playing in the game,” Reyes said about the intensity of Tuesday’s activity. “I’m not going to go crazy, because the last five days I’ve been running a lot.”
Anthony DiComo of MLB.com reports that the Mets are penciling Reyes in for three or four games in the minors, which means he could return as soon as Sunday against the Braves.
Reyes, an impending free agent, is batting .336/.377/.507 with five homers, 37 RBI, 34 stolen base and an .884 OPS over 462 plate appearances this season.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 37
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 58
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (114)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (97)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional