Aug 22, 2011, 7:33 PM EDT
The Mets have lost three in a row and nine out of 11 to fall six games under the .500 mark, but they are close to getting a much-needed boost for their lineup.
According to Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com, Jose Reyes is set to begin a minor league rehab assignment Thursday with Double-A Binghamton.
Reyes, who hasn’t played since aggravating his left hamstring on August 7, ran the bases for the first time before tonight’s game against the Phillies and plans to do so again tomorrow.
“Less tomorrow because I’m getting close to playing in the game,” Reyes said about the intensity of Tuesday’s activity. “I’m not going to go crazy, because the last five days I’ve been running a lot.”
Anthony DiComo of MLB.com reports that the Mets are penciling Reyes in for three or four games in the minors, which means he could return as soon as Sunday against the Braves.
Reyes, an impending free agent, is batting .336/.377/.507 with five homers, 37 RBI, 34 stolen base and an .884 OPS over 462 plate appearances this season.
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 7
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 12
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 133
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 101
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (132)
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)