Aug 22, 2011, 7:33 PM EDT
The Mets have lost three in a row and nine out of 11 to fall six games under the .500 mark, but they are close to getting a much-needed boost for their lineup.
According to Adam Rubin of ESPNNewYork.com, Jose Reyes is set to begin a minor league rehab assignment Thursday with Double-A Binghamton.
Reyes, who hasn’t played since aggravating his left hamstring on August 7, ran the bases for the first time before tonight’s game against the Phillies and plans to do so again tomorrow.
“Less tomorrow because I’m getting close to playing in the game,” Reyes said about the intensity of Tuesday’s activity. “I’m not going to go crazy, because the last five days I’ve been running a lot.”
Anthony DiComo of MLB.com reports that the Mets are penciling Reyes in for three or four games in the minors, which means he could return as soon as Sunday against the Braves.
Reyes, an impending free agent, is batting .336/.377/.507 with five homers, 37 RBI, 34 stolen base and an .884 OPS over 462 plate appearances this season.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 49
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 24
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)