Aug 22, 2011, 3:15 PM EDT
Josh Beckett wasn’t going anywhere anyway, but now he’s officially able to block any future attempts the Red Sox might make to trade him.
Rob Bradford of WEEI.com notes that Beckett recently gained his 10-and-5 rights, which means he’s accumulated 10 total seasons of service time in the majors, including five consecutive seasons with the same team.
That comes with trade veto rights, although Beckett doesn’t seem particularly worried about ever having to use them:
Obviously I’m not going to use it this year. I don’t think any of that stuff comes into play right now, and it might be in a few years. More than anything right now what it means is that it’s a pride, or status, thing. It shows that I’ve stuck it out. It’s tough to do. It’s pretty cool to have.
Beckett has been traded once, going from the Marlins to the Red Sox in November of 2005 along with Mike Lowell for a package that included Hanley Ramirez and Anibal Sanchez. He’s signed through 2014 as part of a four-year, $68 million extension and Beckett has bounced back from a career-worst 2010 season to throw 157 innings with a career-best 2.57 ERA.
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with apparent side injury 5
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 2
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 6
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 4
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 7
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 29
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (88)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)