Aug 22, 2011, 3:15 PM EST
Josh Beckett wasn’t going anywhere anyway, but now he’s officially able to block any future attempts the Red Sox might make to trade him.
Rob Bradford of WEEI.com notes that Beckett recently gained his 10-and-5 rights, which means he’s accumulated 10 total seasons of service time in the majors, including five consecutive seasons with the same team.
That comes with trade veto rights, although Beckett doesn’t seem particularly worried about ever having to use them:
Obviously I’m not going to use it this year. I don’t think any of that stuff comes into play right now, and it might be in a few years. More than anything right now what it means is that it’s a pride, or status, thing. It shows that I’ve stuck it out. It’s tough to do. It’s pretty cool to have.
Beckett has been traded once, going from the Marlins to the Red Sox in November of 2005 along with Mike Lowell for a package that included Hanley Ramirez and Anibal Sanchez. He’s signed through 2014 as part of a four-year, $68 million extension and Beckett has bounced back from a career-worst 2010 season to throw 157 innings with a career-best 2.57 ERA.
- Blue Jays acquire Josh Donaldson in a trade with the Athletics 40
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 164
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (164)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)