Aug 22, 2011, 1:13 PM EDT
Casey Blake‘s latest injury is a pinched nerve in his neck, which has caused him to miss four straight games, and the 37-year-old is thinking ahead to how it could impact his health long after retiring from baseball.
“Obviously, this neck thing is pretty serious,” Blake told Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times. “I want to be able to move my neck when I’m 50.
Blake has played just 58 of 126 games this season, posting a career-worst .704 OPS and spending three different stints on the disabled list.
He’ll be a free agent this offseason once the Dodgers decline their $6 million team option and Hernandez reports that Blake may be reconsidering retirement after previously saying he planned to play somewhere in 2012 because “doctors have warned him that his condition could worsen if he continues to play.”
- Mets acquire Addison Reed from the Diamondbacks 1
- Vin Scully says 2016 will be his last season of broadcasting 11
- Edwin Encarnacion slugs three home runs as Blue Jays thrash Tigers 9
- Mark Teixeira says he’s having “serious pain” when he tries to run 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 22
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 43
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 11
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 77
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (263)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)