Aug 22, 2011, 3:51 PM EDT
Polanco hasn’t played since August 6 because of a hip injury and hasn’t played well since April because of assorted health problems, but his return allows the Phillies to avoid starting both Wilson Valdez and Michael Martinez in the same infield.
Of course, as bad as Valdez and Martinez have been offensively–each posting a sub-.600 OPS in part-time roles–Polanco hit just .223 with a .544 OPS in his last 63 games prior to landing on the DL. Philadelphia can coast into the playoffs, but whether or not the Phillies can get Polanco reasonably healthy and productive will be key down the stretch.
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 6
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 77
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 79
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (80)