Aug 22, 2011, 3:51 PM EDT
Polanco hasn’t played since August 6 because of a hip injury and hasn’t played well since April because of assorted health problems, but his return allows the Phillies to avoid starting both Wilson Valdez and Michael Martinez in the same infield.
Of course, as bad as Valdez and Martinez have been offensively–each posting a sub-.600 OPS in part-time roles–Polanco hit just .223 with a .544 OPS in his last 63 games prior to landing on the DL. Philadelphia can coast into the playoffs, but whether or not the Phillies can get Polanco reasonably healthy and productive will be key down the stretch.
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 4
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 15
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 48
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 49
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)