Aug 22, 2011, 3:51 PM EDT
Polanco hasn’t played since August 6 because of a hip injury and hasn’t played well since April because of assorted health problems, but his return allows the Phillies to avoid starting both Wilson Valdez and Michael Martinez in the same infield.
Of course, as bad as Valdez and Martinez have been offensively–each posting a sub-.600 OPS in part-time roles–Polanco hit just .223 with a .544 OPS in his last 63 games prior to landing on the DL. Philadelphia can coast into the playoffs, but whether or not the Phillies can get Polanco reasonably healthy and productive will be key down the stretch.
- Giants manager Bruce Bochy doesn’t expect Matt Cain to pitch again this year 3
- Matt Harvey throws off mound for first time since Tommy John surgery 2
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 38
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 46
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (201)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)