Phillies lose Jimmy Rollins, but activate Placido Polanco

Aug 22, 2011, 3:51 PM EDT

Philadelphia Phillies v Arizona Diamondbacks Getty Images

Jimmy Rollins was placed on the disabled list with a strained groin, but the Phillies have replaced him on the roster by activating Placido Polanco from the DL.

Polanco hasn’t played since August 6 because of a hip injury and hasn’t played well since April because of assorted health problems, but his return allows the Phillies to avoid starting both Wilson Valdez and Michael Martinez in the same infield.

Of course, as bad as Valdez and Martinez have been offensively–each posting a sub-.600 OPS in part-time roles–Polanco hit just .223 with a .544 OPS in his last 63 games prior to landing on the DL. Philadelphia can coast into the playoffs, but whether or not the Phillies can get Polanco reasonably healthy and productive will be key down the stretch.

107 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. halladaysbiceps - Aug 22, 2011 at 3:54 PM

Good call, good doctor. You said it. Polanco for Rollins. Any news on the waiver front recently about that bat off the bench that the Phillies are looking for?

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 22, 2011 at 3:58 PM

Not that I know of. They did release Cust and Heilman from the Iron Pigs. Gelb or Murphy reported that they are going to give Brandon Moss a chance in September. We shall see though.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 22, 2011 at 4:01 PM

Yeah. Remember I was crucified for saying that Jack Cust wasn’t going to sniff the Phillies MLB roster this year? Everyone said that he was the bench help the Phillies needed and told me that I didn’t know what I was talking about. And they cut him just the other day.

• SmackSaw - Aug 22, 2011 at 4:14 PM

HB,

I was one of the first to say Cust was going to stick. You’re right. I still wish the Phils would get Thome.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 22, 2011 at 4:18 PM

Ok. SmackSaw. That’s cool. I can talk baseball with you, as long as you don’t insult me, like you did last week. I responded by calling you an A-hole. I apologize for that.

2. drmonkeyarmy - Aug 22, 2011 at 3:56 PM

Not trying to be picky Aaron, but isn’t the double play duo traditionally the SS and 2B? As I am sure you know, Polanco while previously a 2B has been playing exclusively 3B for the Phillies.

• Chris Fiorentino - Aug 22, 2011 at 3:57 PM

Yeah, I think Aaron got confused and thought Polanco was still playing second base.

• Utley's Hair - Aug 22, 2011 at 4:03 PM

It’s from those years when he was in Detroit playing Aaron’s Twinkies 19 times a year.

3. Jonny 5 - Aug 22, 2011 at 4:08 PM

Valdez is in charge of DP’S now, offense and defense.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 22, 2011 at 4:11 PM

The Sabermetric stat is VaDP, courtesy of Chris F. Get it right!!! :)

4. Chris Fiorentino - Aug 22, 2011 at 4:14 PM

Anyone else think Mayberry should lead off and Victorino should stay in the 2 hole? Victorino hits 60 points higher batting second, as opposed to leading off, and I’d hate to see him lose the aggressiveness that has led to him being so much better this year.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 22, 2011 at 4:21 PM

Good point. I can see Charlie doing that. Especially with Polanco yet again coming off the DL. Better to place Polanco in the bottom of the order, where he won’t be required to do as much. Besides, Mayberry can get on base at a high clip and can also give you Jimmy Rollins type power, meaning that he can leadoff the game and make it 1-0 real quick.

I like it.

• Chris Fiorentino - Aug 22, 2011 at 4:25 PM

I just can’t stand Shane leading off. If he does tonight, look for between 2 to 3 pop outs because he tries too hard. He has 138 PAs leading off and is hitting .273. Batting 2nd he has 185 and he is batting .333. The guy is obviously more comfortable hitting second.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 22, 2011 at 4:30 PM

I agree, Chris. He even seemed to do better in the 5th hole than leading off. There is something to be said about added pressue leading off. Maybe he tries too hard when leading off because he feels the pressure to fill Jimmy Rollins’ shoes.

• Utley's Hair - Aug 22, 2011 at 4:33 PM

But I thought there were no higher-pressure situations in baseball…or protection in the lineup…I’m just utterly confused….

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 22, 2011 at 4:42 PM

No high pressure situations in baseball? Hair, are you becoming a Sabermatician? :)

• Chris Fiorentino - Aug 22, 2011 at 4:45 PM

Yes, UH. And pitching in the 6th inning is as stressful as the 9th inning. And Ryan Howard is the 7th best player on the team too…wait…I just checked my Excel Spreadsheet and Howard has moved up to 6th now that Rollins has hit the DL. Ladies and Gentlemen, Ryan Howard is now the 6th best player on the Phillies. Woo Hoo!!!!!!

• Utley's Hair - Aug 22, 2011 at 4:51 PM

Wait, Chris. Polanco is back—doesn’t that somehow move Howard down to eighth or something?

• Jonny 5 - Aug 22, 2011 at 4:29 PM

That’s a tough one. Mayberry isn’t all about obp either to be sticking him in lead off, and probably worse off in #1 than Shane. I have a feeling Shane will be there.

• Utley's Hair - Aug 22, 2011 at 4:32 PM

I get the feeling that the Hawaiian will step up no matter what happens. But I think he’ll be not-first-pitch-swinging in leadoff.

• Chris Fiorentino - Aug 22, 2011 at 4:33 PM

Yeah J5…I wasn’t saying do it because Mayberry is better. Just saying it because I think if you put Victorino first, you weaken his bat. I’d rather leadoff Polanco than Victorino right now. Shane is raking batting second.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 22, 2011 at 4:41 PM

Chris,

I see your point, but I would never bat Polanco 1st under any circumstance. He’s a station to station guy. He can’t run.

5. Utley's Hair - Aug 22, 2011 at 4:14 PM

Uh-oh…another Philleies thread!!!! What is this blog becoming?!?

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 22, 2011 at 4:22 PM

A Phangasm?

6. drmonkeyarmy - Aug 22, 2011 at 4:35 PM

Charlie’s official line-up for tonight is as follows:
    Victorino, Polanco, Utley, Howard, Pence, Mayberry, Ruiz, Valdez, Lee

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 22, 2011 at 4:36 PM

Interesting that Mayberry Jr. gets the start against the right hander.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 22, 2011 at 4:40 PM

That is interesting. Streaky Ibanez has been in his funk again for awhile. Just dropped 2 out of 3 against the Nats. Maybe Charlie has seen enough in the short-term.

• FC - Aug 22, 2011 at 4:48 PM

Ibanez hit safely once yesterday and got on base with a walk scoring twice. He did go 0 for 4 his previous Nat’s game but previous to that one went 2 for 3 against Arizona with 1 R and a pair of doubles, 1 RBI. Lately he hasn’t been that funky… Maybe Charlie figures this would be his “OFF” game LOL

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 22, 2011 at 4:53 PM

FC,

You are correct. He hasn’t been all that bad. And I’m a big defender of his. I guess I have not noticed him that much because when he’s going good, his power numbers go off the chart. He hits his homeruns and doubles in streaks, which he hasn’t been doing much of late.

• Chris Fiorentino - Aug 22, 2011 at 4:43 PM

Victorino’s line has already been posted…

1-5 3 pop outs, K, single, stolen base and run scored.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 22, 2011 at 4:46 PM

Is that known as the VicFout/AB Saber stat?

7. FC - Aug 22, 2011 at 4:51 PM

Off-Topic (But still Phillies Topic): Has anyone else seen that Toyota Banner on the Philly.com site? The one where it says what’s dropping faster: Jayson Werth’s Average or Toyota’s Monthly Leases? Everybody Philly seems to pile on the Guy. I Wonder if you’re allowed to do advertising in that fashion.

• Utley's Hair - Aug 22, 2011 at 4:54 PM

As long as he isn’t endorsed by Toyota, why wouldn’t it be allowed? Whether it’s in good taste or not, I can’t see why it wouldn’t be allowed.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 22, 2011 at 4:55 PM

I did notice that. Pretty funny. It’s not slander or libel, so this type of advertising is legal.

• FC - Aug 22, 2011 at 5:04 PM

I don’t disapprove, I think it’s funny as heck. I was just wondering aloud. Jayson’s stats are cringe-Werthy (hah!) although on the plus side he has already passed his 2010 SB total!

• Utley's Hair - Aug 22, 2011 at 5:10 PM

Is his post-out saunter back to the dugout getting longer?

8. drmonkeyarmy - Aug 22, 2011 at 5:31 PM

I’m going to do another game discussion type thing on this here thread, assuming there isn’t another Phillies thread in the next 90 minutes. As usual, I would love for other Phillies phans to participate as it is a good adjunct to the game.

• FC - Aug 22, 2011 at 6:14 PM

Great! I’m going home right now and won’t be home for another hour at least so don’t be surprised if you don’t see me post until late in the game.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 22, 2011 at 6:39 PM

Doctor,

The Bicepts abides and will be here.

9. drmonkeyarmy - Aug 22, 2011 at 7:06 PM

Thankfully there will be no rain this evening and Cliff Lee is taking the mound. We will see if he has his mojo working early tonight.

10. drmonkeyarmy - Aug 22, 2011 at 7:08 PM

Angel Pagan looks menacing. He has a crazy look in his eyes.

11. drmonkeyarmy - Aug 22, 2011 at 7:10 PM

According to Wheels, the wind is blowing out to right field on this fine evening. Polanco looks vibrant out at third base. The absence of Rollins already taking a toll as Valdez boots a routine ground ball. Hopefully Lee can work around that.

12. drmonkeyarmy - Aug 22, 2011 at 7:12 PM

The home plate umpire has a delayed call on strikes, it is obnoxious. Nice play by Victorino tracking down that ball. It is easy to overlook what an outstanding CF he is. He just makes it look so easy.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 22, 2011 at 7:14 PM

2 great plays by Victorino saves Lee big trouble. The boot by Valdez will affect his VaDP, unfortunately.

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 22, 2011 at 7:22 PM

The second one was exceptional. He covered a ton of ground to get there.

13. drmonkeyarmy - Aug 22, 2011 at 7:21 PM

Polanco with the first hit of the game in typical Polanco fashion. He seems to be moving well though. Wheels just informed us that Chipper Jones named one of his kids after Shea Stadium. Fountain of information is Chris Wheeler. And Howard strike out on a high change-up. Inning over.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 22, 2011 at 7:24 PM

I have decided tonight to take a break from McCarthy and Wheeler in favor of Franzke and Anderson. Tonight is a radio night. I just want to listen.

14. drmonkeyarmy - Aug 22, 2011 at 7:25 PM

Now the camera is showing Pelfrey chomp on an enormous amount of sun flower seeds. I think even Chapman would be impressed by that amount of seeds.

15. drmonkeyarmy - Aug 22, 2011 at 7:27 PM

And the DP gets Lee out of the inning. Valdez to a knee to take the grounder. He isn’t exactly inspiring confidence out there right now.

16. drmonkeyarmy - Aug 22, 2011 at 7:34 PM

Pence with a single to start the inning. They have an intern in the booth but didn’t give her a microphone so you couldn’t hear her. Great job production team. Damn, Dillon Gee has the stupidest looking facial hair. Well, Ibanez was scratched from the line-up with a sore groin. The groin injuries seem to be going around these days. Wheels is yammering some nonsense right now. 1 on 1 out for Chooch.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 22, 2011 at 7:36 PM

Groin injuries abound. Were the Phillies participants in some wild DC orgy that we are unaware of?

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 22, 2011 at 7:44 PM

Doubt it. Don’t think they do such things now that Pat “The Bat” has moved on.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 22, 2011 at 7:48 PM

Good point. If Pat “The Machine” Burrell was still on the team, my accusation may have held water.

17. halladaysbiceps - Aug 22, 2011 at 7:38 PM

Wilson Valdez’ VaDP just went up with that RBI single. Also, Cliff Lee with a follow up hit.

18. drmonkeyarmy - Aug 22, 2011 at 7:41 PM

Valdez with a RBI single down the first base line. It looks like something is bothering Valdez…left calf maybe, but he seems to be moving ok as Lee gets a single. 2 on, 2 out for the Flyin’ Hawaiian. Triple by Shane drives in 2.

19. halladaysbiceps - Aug 22, 2011 at 7:46 PM

More drama with Lee not touching third. Franzke at first thought Lee clearly did not touch the base. But, after replay, he said he did. No more base touching drama ala Dom Brown.

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 22, 2011 at 7:52 PM

Yeah, he clearly caught the corner of the base. Was a bit awkward, but he got it.

20. drmonkeyarmy - Aug 22, 2011 at 7:55 PM

After 3 innings…it is 3-0 Phillies. Lee looks decent out there. I don’t think he has hit his stride yet in the game.

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 22, 2011 at 7:57 PM

Rather going into the bottom of the third.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 22, 2011 at 7:57 PM

Wade Lee is just getting started. Agreed. He will hit his stride and start mowing down Mutts.

21. drmonkeyarmy - Aug 22, 2011 at 7:58 PM

Wow!! What a catch by the SS Tejada. Then slams into the tarp. That is a highlight real catch right there.

22. drmonkeyarmy - Aug 22, 2011 at 8:04 PM

Mayberry Jr. with a missile for a 2 run HR. Chooch follows up with a double on the next pitch.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 22, 2011 at 8:12 PM

Jr. making a case to take Raul’s job.

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 22, 2011 at 8:17 PM

He should absolutely have the job. I know you like Ibanez and so do I, but Jr. is a better player at this point. Ibanez is way too streaky and an extreme liability on defense.

23. halladaysbiceps - Aug 22, 2011 at 8:06 PM

Give it to those Mutt bastards!!! 5-0. NY, you ran into the wrong team right now.

24. drmonkeyarmy - Aug 22, 2011 at 8:18 PM

Great catch by Howard to end the inning. Running, over the shoulder sliding grab.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 22, 2011 at 8:19 PM

Yes it was, Doctor. Enjoying a nice cold Budweiser right now as I listen to the game. How about you?

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 22, 2011 at 8:23 PM

Well, the future Mrs. MonkeyArmy is out to dinner with her sister and friends so I am by my lonesome. I don’t drink, so I have some Sprite and Chicken Lo Mein while sitting on my couch.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 22, 2011 at 8:40 PM

Congratulations, Doctor, with your engagement. My girlfriend just bought new curtins for the bedroom, so she’s ironing them right now. She’s leaving me alone to my Phillies. She’s in heaven, and so am I.

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 22, 2011 at 8:50 PM

Thanks. Been for like a year already. We have lived together for 2 years now.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 22, 2011 at 8:56 PM

I will be replying on the second page now. I just wanted to say that maybe over the course of time I would like to meet up with you, maybe at a Phils game or someting, wives/girlfriends in tow. It would be pretty good. Besides Chris F., you are the most knowledgeable Phillies fan that I have ever conversed with here.

25. FC - Aug 22, 2011 at 8:28 PM

I’m around, afraid I missed much of the action, followed it with my cell phone.

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 22, 2011 at 8:31 PM

Phillies have hit the ball hard….Mayberry Jr. HR was a rocket shot. Lee looks decent. Just finding his groove it seems.

Pujols deal still worth it to Angels?
  1. I. Davis (4028)