Aug 22, 2011, 3:51 PM EDT
Polanco hasn’t played since August 6 because of a hip injury and hasn’t played well since April because of assorted health problems, but his return allows the Phillies to avoid starting both Wilson Valdez and Michael Martinez in the same infield.
Of course, as bad as Valdez and Martinez have been offensively–each posting a sub-.600 OPS in part-time roles–Polanco hit just .223 with a .544 OPS in his last 63 games prior to landing on the DL. Philadelphia can coast into the playoffs, but whether or not the Phillies can get Polanco reasonably healthy and productive will be key down the stretch.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)