Aug 22, 2011, 10:47 AM EDT
St. Louis was without Dave Duncan all weekend after the pitching coach left the team due to an undisclosed personal matter.
Duncan’s son, Cleveland bench player Shelley Duncan, also left the Indians for the same reason.
Bullpen coach Derek Lilliquist filled in for Duncan as pitching coach as the Cardinals lost two of three games to the Cubs, but the pitching staff was hardly to blame while allowing a total of just 10 runs in the three-game series.
Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post Dispatch reports that the Cardinals are unsure when Duncan will be back with the team.
UPDATE: The team announced that Duncan’s wife underwent a “major surgery” and he’ll be gone “for an indeterminate amount of time.”
- Christian Vazquez to undergo Tommy John surgery 9
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 29
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 47
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)