Aug 22, 2011, 10:47 AM EDT
St. Louis was without Dave Duncan all weekend after the pitching coach left the team due to an undisclosed personal matter.
Duncan’s son, Cleveland bench player Shelley Duncan, also left the Indians for the same reason.
Bullpen coach Derek Lilliquist filled in for Duncan as pitching coach as the Cardinals lost two of three games to the Cubs, but the pitching staff was hardly to blame while allowing a total of just 10 runs in the three-game series.
Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post Dispatch reports that the Cardinals are unsure when Duncan will be back with the team.
UPDATE: The team announced that Duncan’s wife underwent a “major surgery” and he’ll be gone “for an indeterminate amount of time.”
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (136)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)