Aug 22, 2011, 10:47 AM EDT
St. Louis was without Dave Duncan all weekend after the pitching coach left the team due to an undisclosed personal matter.
Duncan’s son, Cleveland bench player Shelley Duncan, also left the Indians for the same reason.
Bullpen coach Derek Lilliquist filled in for Duncan as pitching coach as the Cardinals lost two of three games to the Cubs, but the pitching staff was hardly to blame while allowing a total of just 10 runs in the three-game series.
Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post Dispatch reports that the Cardinals are unsure when Duncan will be back with the team.
UPDATE: The team announced that Duncan’s wife underwent a “major surgery” and he’ll be gone “for an indeterminate amount of time.”
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 27
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 20
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 28
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 5
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 23
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (103)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)