Aug 22, 2011, 10:47 AM EDT
St. Louis was without Dave Duncan all weekend after the pitching coach left the team due to an undisclosed personal matter.
Duncan’s son, Cleveland bench player Shelley Duncan, also left the Indians for the same reason.
Bullpen coach Derek Lilliquist filled in for Duncan as pitching coach as the Cardinals lost two of three games to the Cubs, but the pitching staff was hardly to blame while allowing a total of just 10 runs in the three-game series.
Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post Dispatch reports that the Cardinals are unsure when Duncan will be back with the team.
UPDATE: The team announced that Duncan’s wife underwent a “major surgery” and he’ll be gone “for an indeterminate amount of time.”
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 33
- Albert Pujols becomes 26th member of 500 home run club 31
- MLB suspends Martin Maldonado, Carlos Gomez, Travis Snider, and Russell Martin for Easter brawl 45
- “Respect the Game?” Phooey. 105
- The MLBPA is serious about investigating leaks to reporters regarding Stephen Drew, Kendrys Morales 32