Aug 22, 2011, 9:58 AM EDT
Baiting Philly fans is, like, 40% of my job description, but I could jaw at ‘em for a month and not do it quite as elegantly as Davey Johnson did after yesterday’s Nats-Phillies game:
“You gotta sit back down,” chuckling Nats Manager Davey Johnson said of all those invading fans who had to flop back in their seats en masse when Ian Desmond hit the most difficult kind of comeback homer that’s possible in baseball — down to your last strike, nobody on base.
That comes from Tom Boswell’s latest column about the weekend series in Washington in which all of the Phillies fans that come down and fill the park left sad after two of the three games. Oh, and Johnson added this, which probably makes Boston fans a bit sad too:
“Kind of reminded me a little of ’86 [in the World Series] when the Red Sox were up on the front step [to celebrate] and then they started creeping back.”
Davey Johnson: master troll. As if I didn’t love him already.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (90)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (89)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (82)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (78)