Aug 22, 2011, 10:15 AM EST
Andy Martino of the New York Daily News reports that manager Terry Collins recently asked Mike Pelfrey if he’d be willing to serve as the Mets’ closer next season and the 27-year-old right-hander agreed, but general manager Sandy Alderson shot down the idea before it gained much traction.
Collins declined to discuss the situation and Martino writes that a move to the bullpen “almost certainly will not happen,” but the fact that it was discussed is interesting given Pelfrey’s struggles this season.
On the surface Pelfrey has declined sharply, going from 15-9 with a 3.66 ERA last season to 6-10 with a 4.61 ERA this year, but his strikeout and walks rates remain nearly identical. The big difference has been serving up 19 homers in 154 innings after allowing a total of just 12 homers in 204 innings last season.
New York’s bullpen needs plenty of help for 2012 and beyond, but the Mets aren’t exactly overflowing with rotation depth either and Pelfrey’s complete lack of experience as a reliever means he’s no sure thing to thrive in the bullpen anyway. Moving him from a 200-inning role to a 70-inning role doesn’t make a ton of sense.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 40
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 19
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 2
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 359
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (360)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (76)