Aug 22, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT
Andy Martino of the New York Daily News reports that manager Terry Collins recently asked Mike Pelfrey if he’d be willing to serve as the Mets’ closer next season and the 27-year-old right-hander agreed, but general manager Sandy Alderson shot down the idea before it gained much traction.
Collins declined to discuss the situation and Martino writes that a move to the bullpen “almost certainly will not happen,” but the fact that it was discussed is interesting given Pelfrey’s struggles this season.
On the surface Pelfrey has declined sharply, going from 15-9 with a 3.66 ERA last season to 6-10 with a 4.61 ERA this year, but his strikeout and walks rates remain nearly identical. The big difference has been serving up 19 homers in 154 innings after allowing a total of just 12 homers in 204 innings last season.
New York’s bullpen needs plenty of help for 2012 and beyond, but the Mets aren’t exactly overflowing with rotation depth either and Pelfrey’s complete lack of experience as a reliever means he’s no sure thing to thrive in the bullpen anyway. Moving him from a 200-inning role to a 70-inning role doesn’t make a ton of sense.
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)