Aug 22, 2011, 6:27 PM EDT
Upon reviewing the tape from Sunday night’s game against the Cardinals, manager Mike Quade has decided to give shortstop Starlin Castro a “mental day off” against the Braves on Monday.
In truth, it’s a benching.
Castro has been accused of a lack of focus several times during his age-21 season, and ESPN focused on it a couple of times last night, once pointing out how he had his back turned as James Russell was delivering a pitch.
“I was really disappointed and surprised, very surprised,” Quade said after watching the video of the game. “But it’s something from Day 1 focus-wise. It’s something, to be honest with you, that he has to work on. With his talent, that’s the toughest challenge for him.
“It’s simply not acceptable, not good. He feels terrible. I talked to him today, and we are giving him a day. After seeing last night, you have to make his concentration a priority. Getting him to concentrate pitch to pitch. He can do it, and we think he will. And we’ll make sure that happens.”
Castro figures to be back at shortstop tomorrow, and he’ll remain the Cubs’ shortstop long after Quade is gone as the team’s manager. Still, it seems like the right call from Quade here. For all of his talent, Castro still needs to have a few lessons pounded into his head.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 1
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 32
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 44
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 128
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)