Aug 22, 2011, 12:12 PM EST
Jered Weaver‘s new five-year, $85 million extension with the Angels has set the market for young aces nearing free agency and Matt Gelb of the Philadelphia Inquirer speculates that that Phillies may try to sign Cole Hamels to a similar contract.
Weaver is a year older than Hamels, but in terms of service time they’re identical. Hamels, like Weaver, is eligible for free agency after the 2012 season.
They also have identical 3.39 career ERAs, with Weaver logging 1,084 innings compared to 1,117 innings for Hamels. Since the beginning of last season Weaver has thrown 413 innings with a 2.60 ERA, while Hamels has thrown 381 innings with a 2.86 ERA.
Gelb notes that Hamels has the edge in terms of postseason performance and his higher 2011 salary could push the baseline of a potential deal up slightly compared to Weaver, but if the Phillies want to lock up their elite young starter $85 million for five seasons is a good place to kick off negotiations.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)