Aug 23, 2011, 9:32 AM EST
Gentlemen: start your references to this being a microcosm for the Mets’ season … now!
Angel Pagan was due up in the fifth inning of last night’s Mets-Phillies game and … was nowhere to be found. Seems that nature called. I like the way Andy Martino put it in the Daily News: “Turns out, the center fielder felt a rumble at the end of the fourth. It arrived suddenly, and with great force.” Mmmm, vivid!
Here’s Terry Collins’ version of it:
“(Pagan) came in, sitting on the bench, and all of a sudden didn’t feel good and went to the bathroom,” the manager said. “Didn’t even have time to tell me he was sick.”
Pagan finally made it to bat, grounded out and then was pulled from the game by Collins. Because while there’s no law that says you can’t get a case of Montezuma’s revenge during a ballgame, you had darn well better tell your manager about it when it happens.
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 21
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 51
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 40
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (131)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)