Aug 23, 2011, 9:32 AM EST
Gentlemen: start your references to this being a microcosm for the Mets’ season … now!
Angel Pagan was due up in the fifth inning of last night’s Mets-Phillies game and … was nowhere to be found. Seems that nature called. I like the way Andy Martino put it in the Daily News: “Turns out, the center fielder felt a rumble at the end of the fourth. It arrived suddenly, and with great force.” Mmmm, vivid!
Here’s Terry Collins’ version of it:
“(Pagan) came in, sitting on the bench, and all of a sudden didn’t feel good and went to the bathroom,” the manager said. “Didn’t even have time to tell me he was sick.”
Pagan finally made it to bat, grounded out and then was pulled from the game by Collins. Because while there’s no law that says you can’t get a case of Montezuma’s revenge during a ballgame, you had darn well better tell your manager about it when it happens.
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 65
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 121
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 79
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 156
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history 124
- Biggest deal in baseball history: Giancarlo Stanton close to 13-year, $325 million contract with Marlins (182)
- So Curt Schilling spent his evening arguing against the theory of evolution (165)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (156)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)