Aug 23, 2011, 9:32 AM EST
Gentlemen: start your references to this being a microcosm for the Mets’ season … now!
Angel Pagan was due up in the fifth inning of last night’s Mets-Phillies game and … was nowhere to be found. Seems that nature called. I like the way Andy Martino put it in the Daily News: “Turns out, the center fielder felt a rumble at the end of the fourth. It arrived suddenly, and with great force.” Mmmm, vivid!
Here’s Terry Collins’ version of it:
“(Pagan) came in, sitting on the bench, and all of a sudden didn’t feel good and went to the bathroom,” the manager said. “Didn’t even have time to tell me he was sick.”
Pagan finally made it to bat, grounded out and then was pulled from the game by Collins. Because while there’s no law that says you can’t get a case of Montezuma’s revenge during a ballgame, you had darn well better tell your manager about it when it happens.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 7
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 53
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 139
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 24
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 35
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (139)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)