Aug 23, 2011, 11:00 AM EST
Brian Cashman is not going to put his life on the line for A.J. Burnett. As the New York Post reports this morning, Burnett only has one more guaranteed start, and that’s this Friday against the Orioles. The next time he starts after that the rosters will be expanded and the Yankees, who have a couple of pretty decent starter prospects down on the farm, may sit Burnett for a while.
But at the same time, Cashman is not going to throw Burnett under the bus. As Marc Carig reports in the Star-Ledger, Cashman admits that Burnett has been bad, saying that he’s been “pedestrian at best.” He also said that the whole A.J.-cussing-out-Girardi thing was both misinterpreted and overblown, and that in his mind, it’s far preferable to a guy having no cares in the world out there:
“I’ve got CC Sabathia cussing in his glove, I’ve got Paul O’Neill, who for a huge run here, was kicking water coolers. It’s not an issue. It’s just silliness. I’ve got other guys on our team doing the same stuff,” Cashman said. “I like seeing passion. I don’t want a guy walking off the mound singing ‘Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah’ and having a skip to his step after a performance like that.”
Good point from Cashman who, as he has increasingly done over the past year or two, puts it quite amusingly as well.
Fact is, if a guy sucks in New York and he’s calm about it, he doesn’t care and has no fire. If a guy sucks in New York and he rants and raves, he has lost his cool. You can’t win in New York. Unless, of course, you’re winning, in which case you can do whatever the hell you want to.
- The Phillies have told teams they’d trade Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels 26
- Mark Prior’s retirement reminds us that young pitchers will break your heart 11
- Roy Halladay is retiring 53
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 48
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 61
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)