Brian Cashman: “I don’t want a guy walking off the mound singing ‘Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah’”

Aug 23, 2011, 11:00 AM EDT

Tampa Bay Rays v New York Yankees Getty Images

Brian Cashman is not going to put his life on the line for A.J. Burnett. As the New York Post reports this morning, Burnett only has one more guaranteed start, and that’s this Friday against the Orioles. The next time he starts after that the rosters will be expanded and the Yankees, who have a couple of pretty decent starter prospects down on the farm, may sit Burnett for a while.

But at the same time, Cashman is not going to throw Burnett under the bus. As Marc Carig reports in the Star-Ledger, Cashman admits that Burnett has been bad, saying that he’s been “pedestrian at best.” He also said that the whole A.J.-cussing-out-Girardi thing was both misinterpreted and overblown, and that in his mind, it’s far preferable to a guy having no cares in the world out there:

“I’ve got CC Sabathia cussing in his glove, I’ve got Paul O’Neill, who for a huge run here, was kicking water coolers. It’s not an issue. It’s just silliness. I’ve got other guys on our team doing the same stuff,” Cashman said. “I like seeing passion. I don’t want a guy walking off the mound singing ‘Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah’ and having a skip to his step after a performance like that.”

Good point from Cashman who, as he has increasingly done over the past year or two, puts it quite amusingly as well.

Fact is, if a guy sucks in New York and he’s calm about it, he doesn’t care and has no fire. If a guy sucks in New York and he rants and raves, he has lost his cool.  You can’t win in New York.  Unless, of course, you’re winning, in which case you can do whatever the hell you want to.

1. nolanwiffle - Aug 23, 2011 at 11:05 AM

So Uncle Remus will not be a September call up by the Yankees?

• Old Gator - Aug 23, 2011 at 11:40 AM

No, but it’s nice to see Cashman turning the press room into the laughin’ place.

• nolanwiffle - Aug 23, 2011 at 11:59 AM

There’s gotta be a Vida Blue(bird) on my shoulder joke in here somewhere…..am I wrong?

2. yankeesfanlen - Aug 23, 2011 at 11:11 AM

Isn’t it nice having a $16.5M/yr pitcher you can just ignore? I think so.
    Keep up the good work Brian, this IS the way we run the Universe.

• FC - Aug 23, 2011 at 3:06 PM

He who controls the Spice controls the Universe!

3. seanmk - Aug 23, 2011 at 11:25 AM

replace “new york” with any large market city and you get the same results really.

4. humanexcrement - Aug 23, 2011 at 11:31 AM

If Burnett gets knocked around by the Orioles (which he will) I’d say the jury is in on the guy.

• yankeesgameday - Aug 23, 2011 at 12:13 PM

No, the real problem with burnett is that he’ll go out and throw 7.1 shut out innings with something like 2 hits and 7 Ks against baltimore. It’s those kinds of off the chart games that need with everyone’s heads in ny. But its all about consistency with him. We need to know what to expect every game. Not untouchable one day, then 8 find the next.

5. humanexcrement - Aug 23, 2011 at 11:45 AM

The difference is that Paul O’Neill was good. He threw a fit like Rain Man missing an episode of the people’s court if he struck out after going 4-4 with a home run in the first 8 innings. It was the product of a guy who pushed himself as hard as he could and always expected more of himself. Imagine what a guy like ARod or Hanley Ramirez could do with that kind of spirit. And it worked. I can deal with that craziness if it works for a player. Burnett has been terrible this year, so maybe a change of attitude could be in order.

• ditto65 - Aug 23, 2011 at 12:05 PM

What do you know about AlexRodriguez’s work ethic? I have read a lot of dirt about this guy, but I never heard that he was lazy, didn’t pressure himself to perform.

If I may borrow from Len, “LEAVE A-ROD ALONE!”

• bklynbaseball - Aug 23, 2011 at 1:45 PM

Amen, Ditto. I swear, all this A-Rod hate is getting pretty freakin’ old. Jealousy is such an ugly trait.

6. aceshigh11 - Aug 23, 2011 at 11:45 AM

Let’s see who gets cut from the AL East contenders first:

A.J. Burnout or John Lackluster.

• seanmk - Aug 23, 2011 at 12:49 PM

john lackey is second in wins on the red sox though and has more then josh beckett! the wins statistic everybody

• aceshigh11 - Aug 23, 2011 at 1:35 PM

Wins are quite deceptive…c’mon, you know that!

Lackey’s ERA is over 6 fer Chrissake! He’s just been lucky to be blessed with good run support.

The fact that he has 11 wins is a testament to the Sox’ offense (not lately, but earlier in the season).

• Kevin S. - Aug 23, 2011 at 1:40 PM

Yeah, I think he was mocking it.

• humanexcrement - Aug 23, 2011 at 1:24 PM

I don’t think anybody paid much attention to John Lackey until that good playoff start against the Yankees in the 09 ALCS. After that he was an A-list free agent. If not for that, I doubt he would have gotten the contract he did.

7. pisano - Aug 23, 2011 at 12:05 PM

A.J. has been horrible for the last two years and it isn’t going to get any better for him. I still say take him out of the rotation and only use him for long relief or mop up in blowout games. In the winter the Yankees should try to trade him to a National league team(God knows an AL team won’t touch him) and if they have to eat alot of his contract, so be it. This circus with him has got to end. Lets face it they screwed themselves with signing him just as Boston did with that other loser John (no upper lip) Lackey. It happens, but you can’t keep running these bums out there thinking their going to heal themselves.

8. drewmunny - Aug 23, 2011 at 1:40 PM

A.J. Burnett, no, he’s not the pitcher he once (emphasis on ONCE) was. As a die-hard Yankees fan, I can tell you that we all collectively groan when he takes the mound. It is time to eat the contract, let him go. Yeah, he’ll have a good outing or two, but his overall inability to right the ship once he’s been rocked is inexcusable at this level and at his pay. Reminds me of myself on 99.9% of my golf outings – once its off the fairway or in the sand, I’m f**ked. Can’t get my head right no matter how hard I try or want to. Sound familiar there, A.J.? For all the press we’ve all seen and read this year regarding the Yankkes and their “questionable rotation,” we all, for the most part, know what the biggest question is – how many runs will he give up tonight?

9. rollinghighwayblues - Aug 23, 2011 at 1:41 PM

Something tells me Lackey is going to wilt in the Texas heat tonight when he faces the Rangers lineup. I picture him sweating profusely, throwing balls down the chute and throwing tantrums all over the infield as balls bang off the walls. Please prove me wrong, Mr. Lackey, otherwise I will be throwing a remote through my Samsung.

10. caeser12 - Aug 23, 2011 at 3:02 PM

And I don’t want a guy on the mound pitching like “Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah”. Enough with all of the excuses for this guy. A.J. does not, I repeat DOES NOT, have good stuff, if he did we would see some of it. You know who else had good stuff, Kyle “Bootney” Farnsworth, Carl Pavano, Jeff Weaver. These are the Yankees, not Seattle, Baltimore, or the Cubs. WE (fans) don’t have the “let’s go to the ballpark and get drunk” attitude as most do, we come to see OUR team win. And A.J. is just not doing that for them. The guy can’t pitch FOR the Yankees, maybe against them like most, but definitely not for them. The bullpen is not the answer, the minors (yea right), and eating all that money is hard, but someone, a grown-up somewhere, has to say what we can all see with our own two (and sometimes 4) eyes, the guy CAN’T pitch! Period. Go Yanks!

Final take away from World Series