Aug 23, 2011, 2:00 PM EDT
Look, I know it’s a long season and that you have to come up with new stuff to write about all of the time, but does anyone besides me have problems with a story which suggests that the backup catcher is the key to everything? In this case, Brian Schneider of the Phillies:
With expectations set at a World Series championship, victories are what matter in Philadelphia, and when Schneider is behind the plate the Phillies win at an incredible rate. In his 26 starts this season, the Phillies are 23-3; 24-3 if you add their win against the Arizona Diamondbacks on April 27 in which Schneider entered the game in the first inning.
This after several paragraphs talking about how much Schneider has struggled individually and how, over the course of his career, he’s never been on teams that had much success. “At first glance, Schneider’s numbers are pedestrian at best, anemic at worst,” the article says. It doesn’t talk about second or third glances, which pretty much confirm it.
I’m sure Schneider is a great guy. I’m happy for the fact that he is on a team that has a great chance to with the World Series. But isn’t it possible to say that and leave it at that rather than to suggest that he brings some special something that helps a team that is already loaded with superstars be better?
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 11
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 96
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 37
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 43
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 16
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (97)