Aug 23, 2011, 2:00 PM EST
Look, I know it’s a long season and that you have to come up with new stuff to write about all of the time, but does anyone besides me have problems with a story which suggests that the backup catcher is the key to everything? In this case, Brian Schneider of the Phillies:
With expectations set at a World Series championship, victories are what matter in Philadelphia, and when Schneider is behind the plate the Phillies win at an incredible rate. In his 26 starts this season, the Phillies are 23-3; 24-3 if you add their win against the Arizona Diamondbacks on April 27 in which Schneider entered the game in the first inning.
This after several paragraphs talking about how much Schneider has struggled individually and how, over the course of his career, he’s never been on teams that had much success. “At first glance, Schneider’s numbers are pedestrian at best, anemic at worst,” the article says. It doesn’t talk about second or third glances, which pretty much confirm it.
I’m sure Schneider is a great guy. I’m happy for the fact that he is on a team that has a great chance to with the World Series. But isn’t it possible to say that and leave it at that rather than to suggest that he brings some special something that helps a team that is already loaded with superstars be better?
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 15
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 142
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 25
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 38
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (142)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)