Brian Schneider is why the Phillies win so much? Um, OK.

Aug 23, 2011, 2:00 PM EDT

Brian Schneider, Ryan Madson

Look, I know it’s a long season and that you have to come up with new stuff to write about all of the time, but does anyone besides me have problems with a story which suggests that the backup catcher is the key to everything? In this case, Brian Schneider of the Phillies:

With expectations set at a World Series championship, victories are what matter in Philadelphia, and when Schneider is behind the plate the Phillies win at an incredible rate. In his 26 starts this season, the Phillies are 23-3; 24-3 if you add their win against the Arizona Diamondbacks on April 27 in which Schneider entered the game in the first inning.

This after several paragraphs talking about how much Schneider has struggled individually and how, over the course of his career, he’s never been on teams that had much success. “At first glance, Schneider’s numbers are pedestrian at best, anemic at worst,” the article says. It doesn’t talk about second or third glances, which pretty much confirm it.

I’m sure Schneider is a great guy. I’m happy for the fact that he is on a team that has a great chance to with the World Series. But isn’t it possible to say that and leave it at that rather than to suggest that he brings some special something that helps a team that is already loaded with superstars be better?

1. ditto65 - Aug 23, 2011 at 2:04 PM

I thought they won because of their Phan base.

2. FC - Aug 23, 2011 at 2:09 PM

Aaaand you’re paying attention to this why? LOL. I’ve always found the whole catcher thing to be slightly bogus. I mean, yes there are examples of some pitchers who seem to gel better with particular catchers resulting in better game calling and results but you can’t discern that from ERA or Catcher ERA or even worse Catcher W-L which is even less meaningful than pitcher W-L.

3. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Aug 23, 2011 at 2:20 PM

Did yall Phillies fans in Philly feel that VA quake this afternoon??? 5.8 they are a sayin’

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Aug 23, 2011 at 2:21 PM

In Philadelphia, HunterPence3 tweeted, “Wow Earthquake just shook the entire locker room!”…I guess yall did feel it…and it was a 5.9

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 23, 2011 at 2:27 PM

Yeah. I felt it. Just a couple of miles outside of Philly. Floor shook for about 20 secs. Never felt anything like this in my life on the east coast. No damage. All good.

• ditto65 - Aug 23, 2011 at 2:29 PM

Felt it in Reading Area – Apparently the Penn Street Bridge cracked.

• bleedgreen - Aug 23, 2011 at 3:42 PM

The Penn Street Bridge has been cracked for YEARS. At least now they have a reason to repave that warped, buckled POS. I’m from/grew up in Reading/Exeter.

And I’m in Wayne PA now and it shook a good bit here.

• ditto65 - Aug 23, 2011 at 6:01 PM

Greew up/live in these parts as well. I guess I should have clarified that the Penn Street Bridge was a good thirty years past its prime before the quake hit. ;-)

• Alex K - Aug 23, 2011 at 2:29 PM

There was a 5.5 earthquake in Colorado today, also. Strange.

• FC - Aug 23, 2011 at 2:37 PM

That was Pagan going to the Bathroom again…

• FC - Aug 23, 2011 at 2:39 PM

On a serious note I felt that… all the way out here in Toronto!

• Ace - Aug 23, 2011 at 2:40 PM

We definitely felt it up here in NYC. Office buildings were actually swaying around a little bit, but I don’t think there was any damage.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Aug 23, 2011 at 2:52 PM

Holy crap is that what that was? Here in NC, house was shaking like a train ran past it.

4. halladaysbiceps - Aug 23, 2011 at 2:29 PM

His contributions to the Phillies this year are immeasurable. However, Brian Schneider does have a rather low VaDP, so this does not suprise me.

5. Alex K - Aug 23, 2011 at 2:31 PM

The Cubs have a fluky record with Koyie Hill catching. That doesn’t mean I like to see Mr. Hill behind the plate.

6. xmatt0926x - Aug 23, 2011 at 3:02 PM

That was indeed crazy. It’s odd watching your walls and furniture move around. I felt it for a good 10 seconds here in south Jersey. It could be Gods way of finally striking Craig back for his relentless Philly fan baiting, but I may be wrong on that.

7. cur68 - Aug 23, 2011 at 4:27 PM

IMO if the Phanatic was catching those games there would be no difference in the wins as compared to when Brian Schneider was catching. It’s the ace rotation’s defence holding off hitters, with that mediocre 1st baseman’s offence cashing in all those high on-base guys, that accounts for the wins.

8. Jonny 5 - Aug 23, 2011 at 4:37 PM

This is the second time I’ve read such crap about Brian S. It’s just one of those stats that makes you scratch your head. It isn’t because he’s behind the plate. It’s just a coincidence. They happen, even in baseball.

9. bigleagues - Aug 23, 2011 at 4:44 PM

Hey, it would be on thing if he was Halladay, Lee or Hamels personal Catcher . . . but he has been forced to turn water into wine with the likes of Blanton, Oswalt and Worley as well.

So clearly, Schneider must have some unforeseen, immeasurable skill that has provided his team with an .852 Winning Percentage in games that he starts vs. the games that he sits- in which the Phils have just a .590 Winning Percentage.

Clearly.

10. drmonkeyarmy - Aug 23, 2011 at 4:55 PM

Well, we will see if the trend continues. The line-up for tonight:
    Victorino, Polanco, Utley, Pence, Mayberry Jr., Francisco, Valdez, Schneider, Vanimal.

11. spol85 - Aug 23, 2011 at 4:58 PM

Don’t the NY papers have anything better to write about then the backup catcher from Philly? How does the writer even come up with the idea to write such a piece and then for the editor to approve and publish it? Isnt there something a little more interesting going on in NY?

• bigleagues - Aug 23, 2011 at 6:47 PM

This morning they didn’t.

This afternoon they did.

Please see: DSK, Quake and Libya

• Utley's Hair - Aug 23, 2011 at 7:47 PM

Even though it is the New York Times, I’m not exactly sure that the sports section has a whole lot about Libya.

• bigleagues - Aug 23, 2011 at 8:58 PM

12. Mark McHugh - Sep 1, 2011 at 10:21 PM

Craig,

Winning isn’t everything, it’s the ONLY thing.

The phils win when Schneider plays. You must admit the stats are impressive – does anyone else have comparable stats?

A managerial overanalysis epidemic