Aug 23, 2011, 10:47 AM EDT
Cole Hamels and Jered Weaver are about as close as two pitchers get in terms of age, service time, and performance, leading to some natural speculation that Weaver’s five-year, $85 million extension with the Angels would clear the path for Hamels to sign a similar deal with the Phillies.
That may happen eventually, but Hamels is under the Phillies’ control through 2012 and for now at least isn’t thinking about his contract status. Hamels made it clear that he’d like to remain in Philadelphia, but also told Todd Zolecki of MLB.com:
I just want to play. That’s why I have an agent. He’ll take care of the rest. If I go out and play and I’m comfortable, good things will happen. That’s all I can affect. It’s a situation where it’s your choice and when the time comes people make choices. I think I’m more focused on trying to win a World Series right now with these guys. That’s been the only thing on my mind this year.
All of which is exactly what he should say, but when it does come time to talk extension the Weaver deal will almost surely serve as the starting point.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 9
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 5
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 32
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 242
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 96
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (242)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)