Aug 23, 2011, 10:47 AM EDT
Cole Hamels and Jered Weaver are about as close as two pitchers get in terms of age, service time, and performance, leading to some natural speculation that Weaver’s five-year, $85 million extension with the Angels would clear the path for Hamels to sign a similar deal with the Phillies.
That may happen eventually, but Hamels is under the Phillies’ control through 2012 and for now at least isn’t thinking about his contract status. Hamels made it clear that he’d like to remain in Philadelphia, but also told Todd Zolecki of MLB.com:
I just want to play. That’s why I have an agent. He’ll take care of the rest. If I go out and play and I’m comfortable, good things will happen. That’s all I can affect. It’s a situation where it’s your choice and when the time comes people make choices. I think I’m more focused on trying to win a World Series right now with these guys. That’s been the only thing on my mind this year.
All of which is exactly what he should say, but when it does come time to talk extension the Weaver deal will almost surely serve as the starting point.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 42
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 36
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 87
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 17
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 21
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)