Aug 23, 2011, 10:47 AM EDT
Cole Hamels and Jered Weaver are about as close as two pitchers get in terms of age, service time, and performance, leading to some natural speculation that Weaver’s five-year, $85 million extension with the Angels would clear the path for Hamels to sign a similar deal with the Phillies.
That may happen eventually, but Hamels is under the Phillies’ control through 2012 and for now at least isn’t thinking about his contract status. Hamels made it clear that he’d like to remain in Philadelphia, but also told Todd Zolecki of MLB.com:
I just want to play. That’s why I have an agent. He’ll take care of the rest. If I go out and play and I’m comfortable, good things will happen. That’s all I can affect. It’s a situation where it’s your choice and when the time comes people make choices. I think I’m more focused on trying to win a World Series right now with these guys. That’s been the only thing on my mind this year.
All of which is exactly what he should say, but when it does come time to talk extension the Weaver deal will almost surely serve as the starting point.
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 6
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 54
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 40
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)