Cole Hamels downplays talk of Jered Weaver-like extension

Aug 23, 2011, 10:47 AM EDT

Oakland Athletics v Philadelphia Phillies Getty Images

Cole Hamels and Jered Weaver are about as close as two pitchers get in terms of age, service time, and performance, leading to some natural speculation that Weaver’s five-year, $85 million extension with the Angels would clear the path for Hamels to sign a similar deal with the Phillies.

That may happen eventually, but Hamels is under the Phillies’ control through 2012 and for now at least isn’t thinking about his contract status. Hamels made it clear that he’d like to remain in Philadelphia, but also told Todd Zolecki of MLB.com:

I just want to play. That’s why I have an agent. He’ll take care of the rest. If I go out and play and I’m comfortable, good things will happen. That’s all I can affect. It’s a situation where it’s your choice and when the time comes people make choices. I think I’m more focused on trying to win a World Series right now with these guys. That’s been the only thing on my mind this year.

All of which is exactly what he should say, but when it does come time to talk extension the Weaver deal will almost surely serve as the starting point.

1. halladaysbiceps - Aug 23, 2011 at 10:51 AM

Cole in the offseason will sign a 5 year, 100 million dollar contract with the Phillies. Bank it.

• heyblueyoustink - Aug 23, 2011 at 11:00 AM

Nah, why pay him? He’s soft, not a Philly guy, remember? ;-)

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 23, 2011 at 11:04 AM

LOL!! Yeah, I know. The media here in Philly in the past has called him soft because he’s a well spoken, good looking, California surfer dude. This couldn’t be further from the truth. This guy is a competitor. When he’s on that mound, he will do everything he can to beat you. I’ll take Hamels over anyone in the league not named Halladay.

• heyblueyoustink - Aug 23, 2011 at 11:26 AM

I wouldn’t pin that one on the media, they may put the microphone out there, but the perception definitely comes from that hand full of cretans who actually believe in that, speak it when it’s to their advantage, and then disappear when he’s tearing up the league.

2. seanmk - Aug 23, 2011 at 10:53 AM

most likely it would have to be higher dollar amount to start at because of playoff experience but subtract for being in the NL instead of the AL, though the AL west isn’t exactly murderers row, plus hamels has a higher salary figure to begin with.

3. Chris Fiorentino - Aug 23, 2011 at 10:58 AM

As i read on a previous post, the Phillies print money in the basement of Citizen’s Bank Park. They won’t let Hamels get away. I expect it to be somewhere between what Weaver got an what bicepts wrote above…maybe 5/$95 million. He’s well worth it.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 23, 2011 at 11:01 AM

If the Phillies don’t sign Cole Carlton to a long-term deal, the fan base would crucify them. It’s not happening. Between fan attendance and jersey/everything Phillies sales, the Phillies are more solvent than the US Treasury.

4. halladaysbiceps - Aug 23, 2011 at 11:09 AM

Different Phillies topic: I brought this up late yesterday. Not sure if many Phillies fans saw this. “Busta” Olney is so scared that the Phillies will get Thome, he put out the following tweet:

Buster_ESPN Buster Olney

• seanmk - Aug 23, 2011 at 11:28 AM

not sure how that is “scared” the phillies will get thome. it’s pretty unlikely, heck the white sox very well could put a claim in with adam dunn being so bad. he has to go through all the AL teams then all the NL teams to get tot he phillies. you’re telling me no one is going to claim him/you WOULDN’T want the twins to circumvent the system so he could go to philly? #firstplaceteamproblems

• bleedgreen - Aug 23, 2011 at 11:32 AM

They’re saying that Minn will straight up release him so he can go sign with Philly, some say with the expectation that after the end of this year, he’d go right back to Minn if he wants to keep playing. They’re doing it as a purely classy move to let the guy get his ring with his mentor.

• Jonny 5 - Aug 23, 2011 at 12:12 PM

It doesn’t matter who claims him Seanmk, he has a full no trade clause, so in reality if he wants to go to Philly to chase a ring, he will. All he needs to do is turn down everyone who claims him until the Phills come up. I think that’s how it could go down. Anyone can correct me if I’m wrong.

• seanmk - Aug 23, 2011 at 12:55 PM

incorrect jonny5 that’s not how waivers works. if a team claims him he either goes to that team or stays with the twins. it’s just like jonny damon last year when he was on the tigers and the red soxs put a claim in on him. Damon did not accept it because of his no trade and could not go anywhere, that’s why the scenario is being thrown out today that if thome’s claimed, denies, and the twins grants unconditional release other teams would be outraged.

Imagine if the phillies somehow were able to claim jason giambi from the rockies, but instead the rockies released him so he could go to the yankees instead, how mad would that make you?

• seanmk - Aug 23, 2011 at 1:19 PM

exactly one year ago, a mike florio post even

• bleedgreen - Aug 23, 2011 at 11:31 AM

I look at it as, who gives a crap if they get a 40yo bench player/pinch hitter? This is purely sentimental to let him come home and win a world series with Cholly. Thats ALL it is. He doesn’t even have to contribute. This isn’t like the Cards releasing Pujols to come play in Philly. This is a guy that may have 1 year left in him, if that. He’s not a world beater, he might be Matt Stairs for 1 AB in the playoffs when the Phils need it, but he won’t be a consistent contributor. And thats fine. I want him here just as much as any Philly fan wants him here. Not because he’ll instantly be a 9WAR, but because I want to see the guy get a ring, and I want to see him go out in a blaze of glory with Uncle Cholly.

• Chris Fiorentino - Aug 23, 2011 at 11:49 AM

“Can promise this: If Twins were to work around waiver system to give Thome a chance to sign with PHI, other teams would contest the move.”

Wah Wah Wah. If anybody contested the move, they would immediately be put on the “Pussies for all time” list in my book. The Twins can do whatever they want. If somebody wants the guy, then claim him and offer a TON of prospects and make it something that it really is not. Otherwise, STFU.

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (3202)