Aug 23, 2011, 3:30 PM EDT
It’s being reported — sorry, not sure who got it first; the earthquake has rendered Twitter almost unreadable — that the Diamondbacks have traded Kelly Johnson to Toronto for Aaron Hill and John McDonald.
Johnson is a year removed from a 26-homer, .284/.370/.496 season, though he’s struggling mightily this year. There’s still power — 18 homers — but he’s been all or nothin’ in that regard. And he is neither getting on base nor, apparently, impressing Kirk Gibson all that much. Meanwhile, Hill, a former All-Star with big power of his own, is himself struggling for the second year in a row. McDonald is basically a throw-in, but he’ll provide some middle infield depth that isn’t Willie Bloomquist.
Hill is subject to club options at $8 million, $8 million and $10 million over the next three years, respectively. Unless he shows that he’s able to hit again, and fast, however, you have to think that the Dbacks will just say forget it and decline them. Then again, they may just want him for a potential down-the-stretch power boost that a change of scenery will give him. As for the Jays, they just seem to be tired of the guy.
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 93
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 66
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 51
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 104
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (104)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (95)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)