Aug 23, 2011, 8:17 PM EDT
Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News reports that the Giants have activated Carlos Beltran from the disabled list. No word yet on the corresponding roster move, but Nate Schierholtz is unavailable tonight due to ongoing soreness in his right foot while Jonathan Sanchez still can’t throw off a mound due to a left ankle sprain.
Beltran hasn’t played since since August 7 due to a strained right hand. He was cleared to return after taking batting practice from both sides of the plate before tonight’s game, but is not in the starting lineup.
The Giants acquired Beltran from the Mets last month in exchange for prospect right-hander Zach Wheeler. The 34-year-old outfielder is batting just .244/.261/.356 with one double, two triples and a .616 OPS over 46 plate appearances since joining San Francisco. The Giants are 8-16 since the trade.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 43
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 43
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 141
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (143)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)