Aug 23, 2011, 8:17 PM EDT
Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News reports that the Giants have activated Carlos Beltran from the disabled list. No word yet on the corresponding roster move, but Nate Schierholtz is unavailable tonight due to ongoing soreness in his right foot while Jonathan Sanchez still can’t throw off a mound due to a left ankle sprain.
Beltran hasn’t played since since August 7 due to a strained right hand. He was cleared to return after taking batting practice from both sides of the plate before tonight’s game, but is not in the starting lineup.
The Giants acquired Beltran from the Mets last month in exchange for prospect right-hander Zach Wheeler. The 34-year-old outfielder is batting just .244/.261/.356 with one double, two triples and a .616 OPS over 46 plate appearances since joining San Francisco. The Giants are 8-16 since the trade.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 3
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)