Aug 23, 2011, 8:17 PM EDT
Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News reports that the Giants have activated Carlos Beltran from the disabled list. No word yet on the corresponding roster move, but Nate Schierholtz is unavailable tonight due to ongoing soreness in his right foot while Jonathan Sanchez still can’t throw off a mound due to a left ankle sprain.
Beltran hasn’t played since since August 7 due to a strained right hand. He was cleared to return after taking batting practice from both sides of the plate before tonight’s game, but is not in the starting lineup.
The Giants acquired Beltran from the Mets last month in exchange for prospect right-hander Zach Wheeler. The 34-year-old outfielder is batting just .244/.261/.356 with one double, two triples and a .616 OPS over 46 plate appearances since joining San Francisco. The Giants are 8-16 since the trade.
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 23
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 4
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 7
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 29
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 32
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 20
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)