Aug 23, 2011, 8:17 PM EDT
Andrew Baggarly of the San Jose Mercury News reports that the Giants have activated Carlos Beltran from the disabled list. No word yet on the corresponding roster move, but Nate Schierholtz is unavailable tonight due to ongoing soreness in his right foot while Jonathan Sanchez still can’t throw off a mound due to a left ankle sprain.
Beltran hasn’t played since since August 7 due to a strained right hand. He was cleared to return after taking batting practice from both sides of the plate before tonight’s game, but is not in the starting lineup.
The Giants acquired Beltran from the Mets last month in exchange for prospect right-hander Zach Wheeler. The 34-year-old outfielder is batting just .244/.261/.356 with one double, two triples and a .616 OPS over 46 plate appearances since joining San Francisco. The Giants are 8-16 since the trade.
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 8
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 14
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 31
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (88)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)