Hey, how about that earthquake?

Aug 23, 2011, 2:30 PM EDT

Earthquake

Fun thing about being on Twitter all day is that when something happens you get hundreds of people rushing to make all of the jokes and the profound observations as soon as humanly possible. And so it was with that earthquake that just hit the east coast.  Within five minutes we had:

• 1,245 “hey, did everyone feel that earthquake?” tweets;
  • Many “we felt it [insert increasingly distant places from the coast]” tweets;
  • Countless “you guys are total wusses” tweets from the west coast;
  • Many un-tweeted but certainly thought “don’t bitch next time it dips below 60 degrees, Californians” sentiments;
  • A handful of remembrances of the 1989 World Series quake from old baseball writers; and
  • Our own D.J. Short lamenting that the quake has disrupted his trip to Chick-Fil-A.  Never forget.

Anyway, this has nothin’ to do with baseball, but I don’t have coworkers here with whom I can waste my day, so let’s use the comments thread to remember The Great East Coast Quake of 2011.

1. yankeesfanlen - Aug 23, 2011 at 2:34 PM

Earthquakes and pies are forbidden by ordinance in Bergen County.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Aug 23, 2011 at 2:36 PM

with all do respect, go f@ck yourself.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Aug 23, 2011 at 2:56 PM

not one thumbs up? thought len would at the very least :(

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 23, 2011 at 2:58 PM

I just gave you one, El Bravo. Seems like I’m doing all sorts of favors for you today. I must re-examine this habit that I have been getting into of late in helping Braves fans out.

• yankeesfanlen - Aug 23, 2011 at 2:36 PM

Oh, and so was Charlton Heston.

• Vincent - Aug 23, 2011 at 3:00 PM

As a matter of fact, pie is not forbidden by ordinance in Bergen County… it’s only frowned upon… and it’s delicious.

• cur68 - Aug 23, 2011 at 3:36 PM

Vincent (if that is in fact your real name): remain where you are. Representatives of The Axis of Cake will be along to remove you for re-education shortly. Until then touch no one.

2. stoankold - Aug 23, 2011 at 2:35 PM

• Vincent - Aug 23, 2011 at 3:03 PM

The post was made July 16, 2010….. please tell me I’m not the only one that noticed that.

3. halladaysbiceps - Aug 23, 2011 at 2:35 PM

Yeah. Felt the floor shake for 20-30 secs. No damage. I’m a couple of miles outside of Philly. All is well.

I have lived on the east coast my whole life and never felt an earthquake before. Crazy stuff. It was sort of like a vibration on the floor. It felt like I was standing on a Shake Weight or something. Wierd.

• bigleagues - Aug 23, 2011 at 4:22 PM

As is always the case with these sorts of things . . . 20-30 seconds was, in reality, more like 10-15 seconds.

4. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Aug 23, 2011 at 2:37 PM

Us mid-westerners are beginning to feel a bit left out.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 23, 2011 at 2:41 PM

I get you mid-westerners into the earthquake spirit by singing the following song:

I feel the earth move under my feet
      I feel the sky tumbling down
      ……

• thefalcon123 - Aug 23, 2011 at 2:43 PM

You’ll have your fun someday…

• joeyhepatitis - Aug 23, 2011 at 2:47 PM

Apparently, some friends in Milwaukee felt aftershocks

• amr5026 - Aug 23, 2011 at 2:47 PM

There was an earthquake in Colorado this morning. Worse they’ve had in 40 years. Though, I do understand that’s not really the “mid-west”

• jerseydevi1 - Aug 23, 2011 at 3:01 PM

Yeah, but y’all get the fun of tornadoes.

I guess we get Hurricanes here in VA, too. Like this weekend. That will be fun.

5. halladaysbiceps - Aug 23, 2011 at 2:42 PM

I just thought of something. Who would win in a fight? An earthquake or Chuck Norris?

• cur68 - Aug 23, 2011 at 3:41 PM

Trick question. Jose Bautista would appear out of nowhere and pwn them both.

6. drunkenhooliganism - Aug 23, 2011 at 2:47 PM

I may have the definitive first world problem, the earthquake knocked two wine glasses off of my wine rack.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 23, 2011 at 2:49 PM

It good that it was only two wine glasses and not two bottles of wine. Now, that would be a tragedy.

• drunkenhooliganism - Aug 23, 2011 at 2:58 PM

Agreed.

• Alex K - Aug 23, 2011 at 3:08 PM

The definitive first world problem would be that it knocked something in your garage into your BMW and dented it, so now you have to drive the Lexus because it doesn’t have any dents.

7. jimbo1949 - Aug 23, 2011 at 2:49 PM

Just to bring this back to baseball: I was watching the Seattle & Cleveland game on TV in NC, while my chair was shaking the announcers were commenting about the broadcast booth moving.

8. macjacmccoy - Aug 23, 2011 at 2:50 PM

Listen to CNN talking about why earth quake on East Coast feels worse and goes out further then ones on the West Coast. Geologists are saying that the Earth underneath the West Coast is a lot softer then the Earth under the East Coast. East Coast is all Bed Rock unlike the West Coast. They are saying its like the difference between Jello on the west and a stone on the east. The west is more fungible while the East is rigid.

I dunno Im just repeating what Im hearing. It makes senses though If you put you hand on a towel and hit a corner of it your going to feel the vibration less then you would if you put you hand on a piece of wood and hit the corner of it.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 23, 2011 at 2:53 PM

Sounds like more East Coast biased reporting by the media.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Aug 23, 2011 at 2:58 PM

cepts, that was a good one, sir. got a chuckle out of me for sure. the facts above are all true and well established if you watch the doomsday earthquake shows…

• macjacmccoy - Aug 23, 2011 at 3:06 PM

Is CNN and MSNBC East Coast Based? Anyway as far as I know East Coast Bias is a myth Im from the East and only left the East coast once so all I know is how things are reported in the East. The west coast probably bases everything that’s going on in the world off of their own experiences and spend more time talking and reporting about whats going on in the west coast then in the east coast. I dont call that Bias I call that the news. It just sounds like more west coast complaining and defensiveness to me.

The West Coast are the us (Philly fans) of the United States.

• bigleagues - Aug 23, 2011 at 4:58 PM

What’s East Coast bias?

Sincerely,
        Someone in New England

9. pkers - Aug 23, 2011 at 2:50 PM

Strangely, in CNN’s report on the earthquake, they talk about tweets indicating how far up and down the coast it was felt, and they single out Hunter Pence’s tweet as an example.
    So, I’ve felt earthquakes in L.A., S.F., CT, and Uganda. I’m an earthquake magnet!

• macjacmccoy - Aug 23, 2011 at 2:52 PM

f’n uganda

10. kopy - Aug 23, 2011 at 2:56 PM

Your observation about work is correct, Craig. I was smack in the middle of a fairly important discussion with my boss that I now question will ever be continued. If only I was being yelled at, that would be the greatest story I’d have. “So there I was, getting my ass chewed out, and all of a sudden…”

11. illcomm - Aug 23, 2011 at 2:56 PM

well Craig….glad to hear your a Twitter reporter on earthquakes now…the cubs and Indians felt the quake during the third inning of their game today…so it does have something to do with baseball…

• ljl2 - Aug 23, 2011 at 3:04 PM

Not to mention the Indians’ play by play guys were discussing the press box shaking for a minute during an inning before knowing what actually happened.

• Alex K - Aug 23, 2011 at 3:05 PM

The Cubs were playing the Indians? Weird.

• Vincent - Aug 23, 2011 at 3:32 PM

at first glace, the mariners do kind of look like the cubs….

• nolanwiffle - Aug 23, 2011 at 3:39 PM

But you can’t get an ice cold Old Style at Safeco Field.

12. nolanwiffle - Aug 23, 2011 at 3:07 PM

I did the Angel Pagan Shuffle all the way to the john…..quite a frightening experience.

13. FC - Aug 23, 2011 at 3:09 PM

EAST COAST BIAS!!!!!

• FC - Aug 23, 2011 at 3:10 PM

Damn! Biceps beat me to it!

• cur68 - Aug 23, 2011 at 3:48 PM

Well, he is “halladay’sbiceps. Most MLB teams generally get beat by that so you’re in good company. Now, while I do believe Halladay’sRotatorCuff and Halladay’sUlnarCollateralLigament might have more to do with beating everyone, those guys never post here, so his biceps will have to get the “W” for the purposes of HBT.

14. shaggylocks - Aug 23, 2011 at 3:14 PM

Was that an earthquake? I thought that was Sam Fuld making a martini. You see, Sam Fuld doesn’t shake his martinis, he just stands still and lets the earth… oh, wait, sorry, I thought it was still April. Nevermind, as you were.

15. tuftsb - Aug 23, 2011 at 3:30 PM

The Brewers game may be called off, as it is still too dangerous to get too close to Prince Fielder until his stomach stops moving.

• phukyouk - Aug 23, 2011 at 3:45 PM

I bring you love…

• bigleagues - Aug 23, 2011 at 4:23 PM

hey, what code do you use to embed video here?

• cur68 - Aug 23, 2011 at 4:31 PM

‘leagues: Just place the url for the youtube video in your comment on its own. It appears as a URL when you place it and then as a video when you post it.

• bigleagues - Aug 23, 2011 at 4:55 PM

HUH. I tried that once and just the link showed up. I will try it again sometime.
        Thank you!

• cur68 - Aug 23, 2011 at 5:15 PM

Only works like that for youtube, I think.

• macjacmccoy - Aug 23, 2011 at 9:27 PM

I am Smart S-M-R-T

16. phukyouk - Aug 23, 2011 at 3:32 PM

there was an earthquake? I just assumed that it was AJ blowing up agian

17. ndangur - Aug 23, 2011 at 4:10 PM

I’m in Tripoli and I felt it here…oh, wait, nevermind…..

• bigleagues - Aug 23, 2011 at 4:26 PM

Right here with you . . . Tripoli events far more earth shaking than our East Coast quake.

With QuackyDaffy gone, Libya now has for the first time in my lifetime a real opportunity to be the most powerful and influential country in Africa.

18. Jonny 5 - Aug 23, 2011 at 4:24 PM

I was on the third floor of 150 year old building taking a class when the great east coast earthquake of 2011 hit. We was shake rattle rollin’ baby…. And I didn’t mind a bit.

• cur68 - Aug 23, 2011 at 4:40 PM

I was on a beach in Guam when we had a Big One: about a 7 I think. Anyhow, ever seen 2 dozen attractive tourist girls in bikinis get a good a shake? Now THAT I didn’t mind.

19. SmackSaw - Aug 23, 2011 at 4:34 PM

I live within proximity of Camp Pendelton Marine Base. 6.0 temblors go on all day.

20. Old Gator - Aug 23, 2011 at 7:40 PM

Looks like – fingers crossed – Irene will do no worse than sideswipe Macondo and moon us on the way north. You guys up the coast, an Andrew veteran wishes to inform you all that I’m afraid you ain’t seen nothin’ yet. Craig, get your ass home before Thursday.

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3883)