Aug 23, 2011, 5:17 PM EST
His return timetable depends on what doctors find once he’s under the knife, but even a minor surgery would make Contreras a question mark heading into next season at age 40.
He pitched well enough last season that the Phillies gave Contreras a two-year, $5.5 million deal, but he broke down after just 14 innings this season and hasn’t pitched since June 19.
Contreras is under contract for $2.5 million in 2012 with a $2.5 million option or $500,000 buyout for 2013.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 32
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 146
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 376
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (377)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)