Aug 23, 2011, 5:17 PM EDT
His return timetable depends on what doctors find once he’s under the knife, but even a minor surgery would make Contreras a question mark heading into next season at age 40.
He pitched well enough last season that the Phillies gave Contreras a two-year, $5.5 million deal, but he broke down after just 14 innings this season and hasn’t pitched since June 19.
Contreras is under contract for $2.5 million in 2012 with a $2.5 million option or $500,000 buyout for 2013.
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 5
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 14
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 40
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 11
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)