Aug 23, 2011, 5:17 PM EDT
His return timetable depends on what doctors find once he’s under the knife, but even a minor surgery would make Contreras a question mark heading into next season at age 40.
He pitched well enough last season that the Phillies gave Contreras a two-year, $5.5 million deal, but he broke down after just 14 innings this season and hasn’t pitched since June 19.
Contreras is under contract for $2.5 million in 2012 with a $2.5 million option or $500,000 buyout for 2013.
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 9
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 1
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 30
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Numbers game: Tigers fall victim to baseball’s speed obsession 45
- Twins prospect Byron Buxton done for season after concussion 3
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. 74
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)