Aug 23, 2011, 7:14 PM EDT
If figured that Logan Morrison’s exile would be a short one, and according to MLB.com’s Joe Frisaro, the Marlins will recall him Wednesday, meaning his stint with Triple-A New Orleans will have lasted the minimum 10 days.
(Only in cases of an injury requiring a DL stint to a major leaguer are teams able to recall players within a 10-day window following a demotion.)
When the move happened, the best guess seemed to be that Morrison would rejoin the Marlins on Sept. 1, giving him an 18-day stay in the minors. That the Marlins are making the move already could be an indication that the two sides came to an undisclosed agreement. There was talk last week of Morrison filing a grievance, arguing that his demotion had no real merit to it. Perhaps he agreed to forgo such an action in return for the Marlins agreeing to recall him as soon as the 10 days were up.
Morrison, who was hitting .249/.327/.464 with 17 homers and 60 RBI in 95 games before being sent down, is just 4-for-24 through six games with New Orleans, so it’s not as though he’s forced the team to bring him back with his production. Three of his four hits have gone for extra bases (one homer, two doubles), but even that has only led to a .597 OPS.
Still, the saga is coming to an end anyway. Morrison isn’t much of a left fielder and he really should be a little more careful on Twitter, but there’s really no arguing that he doesn’t belong in the majors. Time will tell if he and the Marlins can co-exist or if he becomes a mighty fine piece of trade bait next summer.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 114
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 64
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (135)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)