Aug 23, 2011, 7:14 PM EST
If figured that Logan Morrison’s exile would be a short one, and according to MLB.com’s Joe Frisaro, the Marlins will recall him Wednesday, meaning his stint with Triple-A New Orleans will have lasted the minimum 10 days.
(Only in cases of an injury requiring a DL stint to a major leaguer are teams able to recall players within a 10-day window following a demotion.)
When the move happened, the best guess seemed to be that Morrison would rejoin the Marlins on Sept. 1, giving him an 18-day stay in the minors. That the Marlins are making the move already could be an indication that the two sides came to an undisclosed agreement. There was talk last week of Morrison filing a grievance, arguing that his demotion had no real merit to it. Perhaps he agreed to forgo such an action in return for the Marlins agreeing to recall him as soon as the 10 days were up.
Morrison, who was hitting .249/.327/.464 with 17 homers and 60 RBI in 95 games before being sent down, is just 4-for-24 through six games with New Orleans, so it’s not as though he’s forced the team to bring him back with his production. Three of his four hits have gone for extra bases (one homer, two doubles), but even that has only led to a .597 OPS.
Still, the saga is coming to an end anyway. Morrison isn’t much of a left fielder and he really should be a little more careful on Twitter, but there’s really no arguing that he doesn’t belong in the majors. Time will tell if he and the Marlins can co-exist or if he becomes a mighty fine piece of trade bait next summer.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)