Aug 23, 2011, 6:57 PM EDT
Good thing I already have a macro for this one…
Right-hander Mark Prior was scratched from his scheduled appearance with the GCL Yankees on Tuesday because of shoulder discomfort.
Prior had made six appearances in the Rookie league over the past 2 1/2 weeks, allowing one run and two hits in six innings. He struck out 12 and walked two in that span. Unfortunately, his shoulder has once again let him down.
Even though his velocity isn’t what it was, Prior has shown major league ability while on the mound this season. Of course, he’s pitched just 12 innings after missing most of the first half with a groin injury. Plus, he hasn’t tried working on back-to-back days and he’s gone multiple innings just once, so he hasn’t undergone any of the tests he’d need to pass in order to actually land a spot on a major league roster.
Hopefully, Prior decides to keep at it next year, because he is closer to pulling off a successful comeback now than he has been at any point in the last five years. That doesn’t mean it will happen, but it’d be nice to at least see him come back and contribute as a middle reliever or a setup man.
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 1
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 8
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 14
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (88)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)