Aug 23, 2011, 6:57 PM EDT
Good thing I already have a macro for this one…
Right-hander Mark Prior was scratched from his scheduled appearance with the GCL Yankees on Tuesday because of shoulder discomfort.
Prior had made six appearances in the Rookie league over the past 2 1/2 weeks, allowing one run and two hits in six innings. He struck out 12 and walked two in that span. Unfortunately, his shoulder has once again let him down.
Even though his velocity isn’t what it was, Prior has shown major league ability while on the mound this season. Of course, he’s pitched just 12 innings after missing most of the first half with a groin injury. Plus, he hasn’t tried working on back-to-back days and he’s gone multiple innings just once, so he hasn’t undergone any of the tests he’d need to pass in order to actually land a spot on a major league roster.
Hopefully, Prior decides to keep at it next year, because he is closer to pulling off a successful comeback now than he has been at any point in the last five years. That doesn’t mean it will happen, but it’d be nice to at least see him come back and contribute as a middle reliever or a setup man.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 12
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 69
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 13
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 112
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (112)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)