Aug 23, 2011, 10:47 PM EST
The Mets have dropped five in a row and 11 out of 13 to fall eight games under the .500 mark. And there’s a chance things could get even uglier in the days ahead.
According to Adam Rubin of ESPN New York, Mets manager Terry Collins said following tonight’s loss that left-hander Jon Niese and Scott Hairston are both headed to the disabled list with rib cage injuries.
Niese was smoked for a season-high eight runs on 10 hits over four innings in a loss to the Phillies tonight. He had his start pushed back a day after tweaking his right side on a swing last week and apparently isn’t feeling any better. The 24-year-old left-hander has a 4.40 ERA this season, including a 5.67 ERA since the All-Star break. If we’re talking about an oblique injury, it’s possible he could be done for the year.
Not only will the Mets need to replace Niese in the starting rotation next week, but they’ll need a second starter to pitch in Monday’s doubleheader against the Marlins. According to Rubin, they’ll likely pick two from a group that includes Miguel Batista, Pat Misch and Chris Schwinden. Yeesh.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 82
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (161)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)