Mets expected to place Jon Niese and Scott Hairston on DL with rib cage injuries

Aug 23, 2011, 10:47 PM EDT

New York Mets v Philadelphia Phillies Getty Images

According to Adam Rubin of ESPN New York, Mets manager Terry Collins said following tonight’s loss that left-hander Jon Niese and Scott Hairston are both headed to the disabled list with rib cage injuries.

Niese was smoked for a season-high eight runs on 10 hits over four innings in a loss to the Phillies tonight. He had his start pushed back a day after tweaking his right side on a swing last week and apparently isn’t feeling any better. The 24-year-old left-hander has a 4.40 ERA this season, including a 5.67 ERA since the All-Star break. If we’re talking about an oblique injury, it’s possible he could be done for the year.

Not only will the Mets need to replace Niese in the starting rotation next week, but they’ll need a second starter to pitch in Monday’s doubleheader against the Marlins. According to Rubin, they’ll likely pick two from a group that includes Miguel Batista, Pat Misch and Chris Schwinden. Yeesh.

1. Chris Fiorentino - Aug 23, 2011 at 11:16 PM

“The Mets have dropped five in a row and 11 out of 13 to fall eight games under the .500 mark. And there’s a chance things could get even uglier in the days ahead.”

Uglier how? Losing 12 of the next 13?? Once again, the Mutts have been bitten by a combination of being dogs and injuries. It can’t get much uglier.

• D.J. Short - Aug 23, 2011 at 11:18 PM

You obviously aren’t a Mets fan. Ha.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 23, 2011 at 11:28 PM

D.J. Question, because I forget. Are you a Mets fan? Just curious. Not burying you if you are. Just curious.

• Chris Fiorentino - Aug 23, 2011 at 11:32 PM

LOL No, I guess you don’t read the comments around here during the day. And bicepts…yeah, DJ is a Mets fan…a die-hard Mets fan.

• D.J. Short - Aug 23, 2011 at 11:37 PM

Yes, big-time Mets fan here.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 23, 2011 at 11:55 PM

D.J., let me ask you another question if you are still up. What one thing most would you like to see the Mets do in the offseason? Would it be re-signing Reyes or pursuing a stud starting pitcher? One or the other.

• D.J. Short - Aug 24, 2011 at 12:25 AM

I think keeping Reyes will be the priority, though Alderson will certainly have a limit. There aren’t many quality arms available in free agency this winter, so I doubt we’ll see much activity there. Maybe a buy-low type like a Capuano or Chris Young again. Nothing big. I suspect they will focus on improving the bullpen.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 23, 2011 at 11:31 PM

Gotta love how the Mutts played tonight, Chris. It was so amusing that Justin Turner was caught by cameras laughing and such after he threw out Schneider in the 3rd or 4th inning after trailing 4-0. That team stinks.

• phillyphever - Aug 23, 2011 at 11:36 PM

You’re being too kind to the Mets there.

• Chris Fiorentino - Aug 23, 2011 at 11:45 PM

I can understand that injuries have really killed them once again this year. But there is just an atmosphere of canine-ness around that team. I really thought Collins would help, but he is really a mush-mouth and doesn’t seem to command any more respect than Manuel did. Alderson is probably going to help, but he needs to bring in a no-nonsense manager…something that Collins just is not.

He also needs to let Wright go somewhere but keep Reyes. Both are dogs, but at least Reyes gives you some energy. Wright is like a wet blanket.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 23, 2011 at 11:56 PM

Chris, in your estimation, what happened to Wright? I would love your opinion here.

• Chris Fiorentino - Aug 24, 2011 at 12:15 AM

A combination of injuries and I just don’t think he likes playing with the team he is on. I think Wright would do very well with a change of scenery.

2. halladaysbiceps - Aug 24, 2011 at 12:07 AM

Here’s another thing, D.J. When I say “Mutts”, it because of the Mets-Phillies, Philly-New York rivalry. It’s the same thing when NY fans call the Phillies the “Sillies”, or something to that effect. I respect you as a professional writter to the nth degree, just like Craig, who is a Braves fan. So, I hope you don’t take offense and just take it as city to city poking.

I would, as a Philly guy; I would love to see the Mets competitive again, as they are Philly’s natural rival. The Braves nor the Giants do nothing for us, D.J.

• D.J. Short - Aug 24, 2011 at 12:27 AM

No offense taken. Yeah, the rivalry between the Mets and Phillies was a lot of fun from 2006 through mid-2009. A lot of juice to it because of the proximity between the cities. Definitely miss the intensity of those matchups.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 24, 2011 at 1:19 AM

Thanks for responding to my questions, D.J. I appreciate it. I really do. Win or lose the rest of the way for the Phillies, they are the greatest team in my lifetime (and I go back to the late 70’s, early eighties). This is our era. I imagine it won’t last forever and it will eventually be the Mets era like the mid eighties at some point. Good luck to the Mets in the future, D.J.

P.S. To any Phillies fans that think I’m being too nice, lets face it, D.J. is a good writer and gives us good incite into the game of baseball. D.J. is a big fan of his team, and I can’t rip him for that.

• D.J. Short - Aug 24, 2011 at 8:28 AM

Thanks!

• FC - Aug 24, 2011 at 10:14 AM

A Mets-Phillies rivalry would be nice. I’d like to notice that 2006-2009ish has been the only time frame both teams have good. The rest of the time either the Mets sucked and the Phillies soared or the Phillies sucked and the Mets soared.

That said getting that spark going again would be nice, at least until MLB and Pittsburgh reverse the abominable decision to move the Pirates to the NL Central, talk about a rivalry loss! That was THE rivalry of the 70’s.

3. FC - Aug 24, 2011 at 10:11 AM

city to city poking

Yeah the Phillies have been poking the Mets a lot lately.

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (2960)