Aug 23, 2011, 10:47 PM EDT
The Mets have dropped five in a row and 11 out of 13 to fall eight games under the .500 mark. And there’s a chance things could get even uglier in the days ahead.
According to Adam Rubin of ESPN New York, Mets manager Terry Collins said following tonight’s loss that left-hander Jon Niese and Scott Hairston are both headed to the disabled list with rib cage injuries.
Niese was smoked for a season-high eight runs on 10 hits over four innings in a loss to the Phillies tonight. He had his start pushed back a day after tweaking his right side on a swing last week and apparently isn’t feeling any better. The 24-year-old left-hander has a 4.40 ERA this season, including a 5.67 ERA since the All-Star break. If we’re talking about an oblique injury, it’s possible he could be done for the year.
Not only will the Mets need to replace Niese in the starting rotation next week, but they’ll need a second starter to pitch in Monday’s doubleheader against the Marlins. According to Rubin, they’ll likely pick two from a group that includes Miguel Batista, Pat Misch and Chris Schwinden. Yeesh.
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 33
- Masahiro Tanaka injured: Yankees ace to undergo an MRI exam on his right arm 59
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing 99
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 64
- Cardinals “looking for offense” … not Jake Peavy 30
- 2014 Home Run Derby participants … 28
- Billy Beane: The age of “baseball insiders” vs. “baseball outsiders” will soon be over 58
- Cardinals reportedly making a strong push to acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 49
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (126)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (101)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)