Aug 23, 2011, 4:17 PM EDT
News that the Rockies claimed Wandy Rodriguez off waivers and will have until Thursday afternoon to potentially work out a trade with the Astros for him has me wondering if the 32-year-old left-hander is underrated.
For the past week or so various prominent media members have been acting as if Rodriguez’s contract is a Vernon Wells-like albatross that no team in its right mind would possibly touch, but is it really that bad?
He’s owed $10 million in 2012 and $13 million in 2013, with a $13 million team option or $2.5 million buyout for 2014 that becomes a player option if he’s traded. So if the Astros simply decide to let the Rockies claim him for nothing it’s essentially a two-year, $25.5 million contract and if instead the two sides work out a trade that gets him to Colorado it’s a three-year, $37 million deal.
That’s certainly no bargain, but this offseason Jorge De La Rosa signed a two-year, $21.5 million deal while Carl Pavano and Jake Westbrook each got $16 million for two years. Rodriguez is slightly more expensive than those three veteran starters, but he’s also a better pitcher. In fact, among the 83 different MLB pitchers with at least 400 innings since 2009 he ranks 18th in ERA and 20th in xFIP. In other words, he’s been a low-end No. 1 starter or a top-notch No. 2 starter, posting ERAs of 3.02, 3.60, and 3.31 during that time.
Rodriguez has never had elite raw stuff and there’s clearly a widely held perception that he’s nowhere near as good as his numbers, yet his performance has consistently placed him among the top 20 or 25 starters in baseball and even a three-year, $37 million commitment doesn’t seem all that crazy in that context. Whether or not Rodriguez is capable of thriving while calling Coors Field home is another issue altogether, but in terms of his track record and contract it sure seems like perception has trumped performance in Rodriguez’s case.
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 5
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 98
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 54
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 18
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (112)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (79)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- PHT: Avs name Hall of Famer Roy as head coach
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead