Aug 23, 2011, 3:15 PM EDT
Contenders interested in adding another left-handed reliever to the bullpen mix may take a look at Joe Beimel, who was designated for assignment by the Pirates.
Beimel had a sub-4.00 ERA every season from 2005 to 2010, but his ERA stands at 5.33 after serving up a homer to right-handed slugger Ryan Braun yesterday and he hasn’t even been effective versus left-handed hitters this year.
His velocity is also down slightly, although Beimel never succeeded because of impressive raw stuff and his pre-2011 track record means the 34-year-old will likely draw interest from another team if the Pirates release him.
He’s owed about $400,000 for the remainder of the season.
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 9
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 23
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 14
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- HBT Daily: They’ve dropped six straight, but the Pirates may be the Wild Card favorites 2
- The Diamondbacks plan to bring back Kirk Gibson for some reason 30
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 32
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (125)
- Jayson Werth clocked at 105 m.p.h. in a 55 zone, is charged with reckless driving (88)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Baseball is dying, you guys (78)
- A vote for Tom Werner for commissioner is a vote to return to the dark ages (78)