Aug 23, 2011, 3:15 PM EDT
Contenders interested in adding another left-handed reliever to the bullpen mix may take a look at Joe Beimel, who was designated for assignment by the Pirates.
Beimel had a sub-4.00 ERA every season from 2005 to 2010, but his ERA stands at 5.33 after serving up a homer to right-handed slugger Ryan Braun yesterday and he hasn’t even been effective versus left-handed hitters this year.
His velocity is also down slightly, although Beimel never succeeded because of impressive raw stuff and his pre-2011 track record means the 34-year-old will likely draw interest from another team if the Pirates release him.
He’s owed about $400,000 for the remainder of the season.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (135)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)