Aug 23, 2011, 3:15 PM EDT
Contenders interested in adding another left-handed reliever to the bullpen mix may take a look at Joe Beimel, who was designated for assignment by the Pirates.
Beimel had a sub-4.00 ERA every season from 2005 to 2010, but his ERA stands at 5.33 after serving up a homer to right-handed slugger Ryan Braun yesterday and he hasn’t even been effective versus left-handed hitters this year.
His velocity is also down slightly, although Beimel never succeeded because of impressive raw stuff and his pre-2011 track record means the 34-year-old will likely draw interest from another team if the Pirates release him.
He’s owed about $400,000 for the remainder of the season.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (84)