Aug 23, 2011, 4:46 PM EST
Kevin Kouzmanoff has been stuck in the minors since the A’s demoted the struggling third baseman to Triple-A in mid-June and today they traded him (and some cash) to the Rockies for a player to be named later.
Kouzmanoff and his $4.75 million salary went unclaimed on waivers back in June, allowing the A’s to outright him off the 40-man roster, so it’s safe to say that the player to be named later won’t be anything special.
In fact, according to Jane Lee of MLB.com the deal won’t even get him back to the majors right away, as Colorado plans to assign him to their Triple-A team.
Kouzmanoff is under team control for next season, but there’s little chance of the Rockies actually offering him arbitration because that would essentially lock them into a one-year deal worth at least $4.5 million. Presumably they’ll call him up once rosters expand on September 1 and then possibly try to negotiate a lower salary for next season, with Kouzmanoff serving as merely a fallback option at third base heading into the offseason.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 77
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 34
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (135)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)