Aug 23, 2011, 4:00 PM EDT
Last night Indians’ closer Chris Perez blew a tie game in the ninth when he lost control and started getting all plunky. Today, probably not fully trusting his closer — or maybe just wanting to save him for the nightcap of today’s double header — Manny Acta sent Justin Masterson out for the ninth inning with a 4-3 lead even though he was already over 100 pitches.
Masterson gave up two singles and Acta said, screw it, let’s go to the closer. The closer, however, went to a full count on rookie Trayvon Robinson before allowing a two-run double. Blown save. I, and I’m guessing the beat writers in attendance, started writing their “Perez is the goat again” stories.
But in the bottom of the ninth, the Tribe quickly put runners on the corners against Brandon League on a double and an error, which brought Shin-Soo Choo to the plate. First pitch: Choo hits a long homer to left. Ballgame. Indians beat the M’s 7-5.
So, this game had an earthquake shake the press box, two blown saves and a dramatic walkoff bomb. Not a bad day at the old ballpark.
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 32
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 44
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 128
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)