Aug 23, 2011, 4:00 PM EDT
Last night Indians’ closer Chris Perez blew a tie game in the ninth when he lost control and started getting all plunky. Today, probably not fully trusting his closer — or maybe just wanting to save him for the nightcap of today’s double header — Manny Acta sent Justin Masterson out for the ninth inning with a 4-3 lead even though he was already over 100 pitches.
Masterson gave up two singles and Acta said, screw it, let’s go to the closer. The closer, however, went to a full count on rookie Trayvon Robinson before allowing a two-run double. Blown save. I, and I’m guessing the beat writers in attendance, started writing their “Perez is the goat again” stories.
But in the bottom of the ninth, the Tribe quickly put runners on the corners against Brandon League on a double and an error, which brought Shin-Soo Choo to the plate. First pitch: Choo hits a long homer to left. Ballgame. Indians beat the M’s 7-5.
So, this game had an earthquake shake the press box, two blown saves and a dramatic walkoff bomb. Not a bad day at the old ballpark.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 22
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (219)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (95)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (85)