The Astros have already been eliminated

Aug 23, 2011, 9:12 AM EDT

Houston Astros v Colorado Rockies Getty Images

All but eight teams get eliminated eventually, but it’s probably worth noting that the Astros were the first. They’re 34 games back of the Brewers, who only have 32 games left to play.  Seems pretty early for elimination, but that’s the 2011 Astros for you.

Next up on the elimination list is Baltimore, who – thanks to MLB.com’s handy elimination column on their standings — we see are nine games from playoff death.

(thanks to reader deepstblu for pointing out the elimination standings thing)

1. halladaysbiceps - Aug 23, 2011 at 9:21 AM

Ed Wade, pat yourself on the back for destrroying the Astros franchise.

2. veryindifferent - Aug 23, 2011 at 9:27 AM

I’ll confess the 4 game winning streak gave me some hope, but they just put themselves too far behind too early to ever really have a chance. But I really think they might have made it until August 27th or so if Hunter Pence hadn’t been traded.

• Chris Fiorentino - Aug 23, 2011 at 9:31 AM

Once Ed Wade is gone and they have new ownership and a new front office, I think things will be fine with the Astros. They have a pretty good minor league system now that they got a ton of prospects for Pence and Bourne. Provided the next GM is a good hire, they should be relevant again in a couple years.

3. Max Power - Aug 23, 2011 at 9:33 AM

In the long run, we’re all eliminated.

• Old Gator - Aug 23, 2011 at 9:49 AM

At my age, elimination is a subject of inexhaustible interest. In fact, it’s Tuesday, which means I have to make sure the chute cover is open so the truck can back up to it for my monthly Metamucil delivery.

• stevejeltzjehricurl - Aug 23, 2011 at 10:20 AM

Be careful with the Metamucil, Gator. I hear that’s what led to Angel Pagan’s early departure from last night’s Mets-Phillies game.

• Old Gator - Aug 23, 2011 at 11:48 AM

It’s his own fault for chugging the stuff that many hours before bedtime.

4. Old Gator - Aug 23, 2011 at 9:53 AM

The occult number for the Feesh is eleven. The way they’re playing, if the Feelies snap out of it and get hot again, this will all be over in a week and the Purple Heart squad, at the very least, can go home and start running that brush through their barrel and start thinking eight-pointers or playing with their lures in the bathtub to see which ones wiggle and sparkle best and start thinking walleye. Me, I’m going to start confabulating my reading leest for the weenter.

5. yankeesfanlen - Aug 23, 2011 at 9:56 AM

According to the MLB explanation for calculating the elimination number, it’s either a win by the leader or a loss by the trailing team.
    Universe goes to Baltimore for FIVE games this weekend. Hmmm….carry the three, divide by strange attractor.

6. stublues33 - Aug 23, 2011 at 10:01 AM

It would be useful to show an elimination number for the wildcard. Wish my Nats had a more likley chance at that. Their problem is less with their own play and more with the consistency of the Braves. They (Atlanta) have not had a 10 game span where they’ve done worse than loosing one more game than they’ve won since April 21. Would like to see a strong finish for the Nats and a better record then the NL west winner.

7. yankeesfanlen - Aug 23, 2011 at 10:11 AM

Actually, you can do that yourself. Just use the leader in the wild card race instead of the division leader.

8. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Aug 23, 2011 at 10:19 AM

Damn Astros are ruining the Cubs chances in the race to the bottom competition. C’mon Chicago! It’s not too late to be the last of the six!!!!

• kopy - Aug 23, 2011 at 10:26 AM

So I just heard yesterday that they’re going to stop selling Old Style at Wrigley. I just don’t know what to think anymore…

• yankeesfanlen - Aug 23, 2011 at 10:37 AM

That is terrible!

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Aug 23, 2011 at 12:05 PM

Hmmmm, this is terrible or amazing. I guess it’s sad b/c it’s been a mutual deal for 60+ years. It is pretty f@cking terrible beer though, but then again, Wrigley doesn’t have many better options.

9. churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Aug 23, 2011 at 10:47 AM

So does this mean my pick of the Astros winning the NL Central can no longer happen?

– Steve Berthiaume

Why is Wren out and Gonzalez is not?
  1. R. Castillo (2599)