Aug 23, 2011, 3:02 PM EST
UPDATE II: Now Rosenthal is saying that the Rockies have claimed Rodriguez. If they and the Astros are to get a deal done, they have to do it by Thursday at noon.
UPDATE: Rosenthal reports that, contra Olney, it was not the Nationals who claimed Rodriguez. The team is still unknown. So we have it: MYSTERY TEAM!
3:02 PM: Ken Rosenthal reported a few minutes ago that Astros starter Wandy Rodriguez was claimed on waivers, but by whom it was unknown. Just as I was getting all excited to do a post about a “mystery team,” Buster Olney reported that it was probably the Washington Nationals claiming him.
The Nationals could certainly convince themselves that they’ll be in contention over the next couple of years, so it may very well convince them to take on Rodriguez and the $36 million he’s owed between now and 2014. The Astros, of course, aren’t just gonna let him go without getting something in return, one presumes, so it’s not just a matter of letting Rodriguez walk.
But unlike a lot of guys who are put on waivers, it’s not nuts to think that Rodriguez could be moved.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)