Aug 23, 2011, 3:02 PM EDT
UPDATE II: Now Rosenthal is saying that the Rockies have claimed Rodriguez. If they and the Astros are to get a deal done, they have to do it by Thursday at noon.
UPDATE: Rosenthal reports that, contra Olney, it was not the Nationals who claimed Rodriguez. The team is still unknown. So we have it: MYSTERY TEAM!
3:02 PM: Ken Rosenthal reported a few minutes ago that Astros starter Wandy Rodriguez was claimed on waivers, but by whom it was unknown. Just as I was getting all excited to do a post about a “mystery team,” Buster Olney reported that it was probably the Washington Nationals claiming him.
The Nationals could certainly convince themselves that they’ll be in contention over the next couple of years, so it may very well convince them to take on Rodriguez and the $36 million he’s owed between now and 2014. The Astros, of course, aren’t just gonna let him go without getting something in return, one presumes, so it’s not just a matter of letting Rodriguez walk.
But unlike a lot of guys who are put on waivers, it’s not nuts to think that Rodriguez could be moved.
- How’d he do that? Magician Maddux fooled hitters all the way to Hall 8
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 46
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 35
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 14
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 193
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 22
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 36
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (193)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)