Aug 23, 2011, 3:02 PM EST
UPDATE II: Now Rosenthal is saying that the Rockies have claimed Rodriguez. If they and the Astros are to get a deal done, they have to do it by Thursday at noon.
UPDATE: Rosenthal reports that, contra Olney, it was not the Nationals who claimed Rodriguez. The team is still unknown. So we have it: MYSTERY TEAM!
3:02 PM: Ken Rosenthal reported a few minutes ago that Astros starter Wandy Rodriguez was claimed on waivers, but by whom it was unknown. Just as I was getting all excited to do a post about a “mystery team,” Buster Olney reported that it was probably the Washington Nationals claiming him.
The Nationals could certainly convince themselves that they’ll be in contention over the next couple of years, so it may very well convince them to take on Rodriguez and the $36 million he’s owed between now and 2014. The Astros, of course, aren’t just gonna let him go without getting something in return, one presumes, so it’s not just a matter of letting Rodriguez walk.
But unlike a lot of guys who are put on waivers, it’s not nuts to think that Rodriguez could be moved.
- The Phillies have told teams they’d trade Cliff Lee and Cole Hamels 13
- Mark Prior’s retirement reminds us that young pitchers will break your heart 5
- Roy Halladay is retiring 53
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 48
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 61
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)