Aug 23, 2011, 3:02 PM EDT
UPDATE II: Now Rosenthal is saying that the Rockies have claimed Rodriguez. If they and the Astros are to get a deal done, they have to do it by Thursday at noon.
UPDATE: Rosenthal reports that, contra Olney, it was not the Nationals who claimed Rodriguez. The team is still unknown. So we have it: MYSTERY TEAM!
3:02 PM: Ken Rosenthal reported a few minutes ago that Astros starter Wandy Rodriguez was claimed on waivers, but by whom it was unknown. Just as I was getting all excited to do a post about a “mystery team,” Buster Olney reported that it was probably the Washington Nationals claiming him.
The Nationals could certainly convince themselves that they’ll be in contention over the next couple of years, so it may very well convince them to take on Rodriguez and the $36 million he’s owed between now and 2014. The Astros, of course, aren’t just gonna let him go without getting something in return, one presumes, so it’s not just a matter of letting Rodriguez walk.
But unlike a lot of guys who are put on waivers, it’s not nuts to think that Rodriguez could be moved.
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 3
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 209
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 47
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 91
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (211)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (121)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)