And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights

Aug 24, 2011, 5:34 AM EDT

Oakland Athletics v New York Yankees Getty Images

Athletics 6, Yankees 5: The Yankees were down 6-0 entering the bottom of the eighth whenNick Swisher hit a three-run homer. In the ninth Jorge Posada added another one, and then Robinson Cano walked with the bases loaded to male it 6-5. The bases still juiced with two out when Andrew Bailey induced a harmless fly ball to Swisher. Game over. Close but no cigar, Bombers. Until that Swisher homer, Brandon McCarthy was takin’ care of business.

Indians 7, Mariners 5, Mariners 12, Indians 7: Hit the front of this one up yesterday (short version: Choo!).  The nightcap: revenge of the M’s.  In between the games I did a radio spot on an Ohio station during which the hosts voiced optimism about the Indians’ chances given the dramatic game one win. Me: not feelin’ it.

Tigers 2, Rays 1: One of the reasons I’m not feelin’ it: Detroit is starting to get good pitching performances from guys not named Justin Verlander. Brad Penny here: 6 IP, 8 H, 1 ER.

Phillies 9, Mets 4: Vance Worley may have shut the Mets down while striking out nine over seven innings, but really, the win has to go to Brian Scheneider. Sure, he may have gone 0 for 4 with a couple of strikeouts, but I read all about it yesterday. He’s the key, dude.

Royals 6, Blue Jays 4: Brandon Morrow fooled no one, allowing six runs on eleven hits in four and two-thirds. My main man Frenchie went 4 for 5. Eric Hosmer was 3 for 5 with a homer.

Diamondbacks 2, Nationals 0: Ian Kennedy got his 16th win after throwing seven shutout innings helping the Dbacks snap a six-game skid. This one got a bit chippy with plunkings. Justin Upton, who has been hit A LOT by the Nationals, had to leave the game after getting hit by Jordan Zimmermann. Kennedy subsequently had one get away from him (I presume he’d say that anyway) while facing Michael Morse.

Padres 7, Giants 5: San Francisco fails to keep pace with Arizona. Fifth straight win for the Padres. Three errors for the Giants. And on one play Aubrey Huff and Cody Ross collided while going after a foul ball. This being the Giants, miraculously, no one was decapitated or impaled.

Brewers 11, Pirates 4: Nyjer Morgan gets the cover of Sports Illustrated and he goes 4 for 6 with a double and two RBI. It was a good day to be Tony Plush.

Dodgers 13, Cardinals 2: It’s not like Clayton Kershaw needed all of that support, but hey, whatever. Rod Barajas with two homers. Tony La Russa protested this game on account of the rule that says ["mmfhmmnfggss ....."].  Really, he just mumbled that under his breath, hoping he could at least get a hearing with Joe Torre out of it.

Reds 8, Marlins 6: Johnny Cueto walked six guys in five innings and put the Reds in a hole, but Cincy battled back, rallying against the Marlins pen. Yonder Alonso lies the castle of my faddah … oh, wait. I keep wanting to say that. What I meant to say was Yonder Alonso went 3 for 4 and drove in four.

Orioles 8, Twins 1: Three hits each for J.J. Hardy, Vlad Guerrero and Mark Reynolds. Alfredo Simon, who spent the winter and then spring training in a jail cell, tied the Twins up like nobody’s business (8 IP, 3 H, 1 ER, 8K).

Red Sox 11, Rangers 5: Two homers for Adrian Gonzalez. John Lackey now has 12 wins, which is more than Josh Beckett has and is only one behind Jon Lester. And wins make a pitcher better, right?

Angels 5, White Sox 4: Another dramatic win for the Halos, this one on a walkoff RBI single for Peter Bourjos, who smacked one through a drawn-in infield. It’s the Angels’ fifth straight win, the third coming on their last at bat.

Rockies 8, Astros 6: Seth Smith hit a 478-foot home run. Jonathan Herrera hit one that lined just over the fence. They each counted for two runs, because them’s the rules. Astros reliever Wesley Wright did that pitch-to-one-guy, move out to right field, pitch-to-another guy thing. Clevah.

UPDATE: If there was any doubt that I am NOT a Braves homer — at least not an irrational, unfair one — I forgot to put the Braves game in the recap when I first published it:

Braves 5, Cubs 4: Jason Heyward went 3 for 4 with a grand slam.  OK Fredi, ya still gonna bench him if Jose Constanza is available tonight?

1. drmonkeyarmy - Aug 24, 2011 at 6:26 AM

Did LaRussa allow a relief pitcher to bat with the bases loaded in the bottom of the 4th? Granted he was down 8-0, but isn’t that throwing in the towel a bit early?

• paperlions - Aug 24, 2011 at 7:00 AM

Yes, he did, and yes, it is. The crowd booed loudly (at least, it was loud for a StL style boo). I have never left a game early, ever. But if I was at that game, I might have got up and left right then. If the manager makes it clear that he doesn’t care about winning that early in a game, I don’t think I would bother staying for another 2 hours….there are other things to do with my time than spend it drinking $9 beers watching a team and manager that has given up.

• kiwicricket - Aug 24, 2011 at 7:48 AM

Yep. Poor form.

2. kiwicricket - Aug 24, 2011 at 7:28 AM

Juan Pierre really does have a Lettuce Arm. Bourjos scoring from first on a soft single to Left was ridiculous.

3. Chris Fiorentino - Aug 24, 2011 at 7:28 AM

The Vanimal pitches another great game, with a career high 9 strikeouts. Amazing how many men he gets looking. Also amazing is how little David Wright seems to want to be there right now. I’d be shocked if he was there next year.

And of course, the day after I say the Rays are still in it, they get beat at home AGAIN while the Red Sox find their bats and crush the Rangers. A couple more days like that, and the Red Sox playoff chances will be back in lock status.

Finally, when Tyler Colvin and his stellar .142 batting average is the guy you are bringing in to pinch hit in the bottom of the 9th down a run with a man on base…well…you might as well have just given up. That had to be the on of the worst at bats I have ever seen. I didn’t even see an at bat that horrible in the freaking Little League World Series. I know Kimbrel is a beast, but he looked like Sandy Koufax pitching to me right there.

• kiwicricket - Aug 24, 2011 at 7:59 AM

Will Philly shut down Vancy-pants at some point??

• bigxrob - Aug 24, 2011 at 8:13 AM

Just looked at his innings pitched
        2008 – 69
        2009 – 153
        2010 – 171
        2011 – 148

Not sure they will need to. 5 more starts at 7 innings per would seem reasonable.

• Chris Fiorentino - Aug 24, 2011 at 9:47 AM

Like Rob says…the Vanimal will be fine the rest of the regular season. I doubt he sees much in the playoffs though as he won’t be used in pressure relief situations and, barring an injury, he won’t get a start either. Unless somebody gets rocked early, he will probably see little/no action come the postseason.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 24, 2011 at 9:50 AM

With the Phillies thrashing of the Mutts the last two nights, who thinks the Mutts will pack it in this afternoon against Kendrick and receive another dose of Phillies medicine? If Mr. Lucky is back in the lineup today, I suspect he has some Mutts punishment to deliver of his own.

On a separate note, in the beginning of yesterday’s game, they said that Roy Halladay was in the outfield of Citizens Bank Park working out during the earthquake. They said he was doing pushups at the time the earthquake occured. I was thinking that it was his biceps that caused the earth to move. Anyways, people were evacuating CBP after the quake happened. Not Roy, though. He kept on working out. What a beast!!!

• Chris Fiorentino - Aug 24, 2011 at 10:16 AM

Today is one of those days where I see KK getting absolutely hammered. Mutts will show they have some pride, but the Phillies will also continue their offensive onslaught and win an 11-9 game like the Brewers did the other night.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 24, 2011 at 10:25 AM

LOL!!! You used the two words Mutts and pride in the same sentence.

You may be right about Kendrick today. But, he’s pitched pretty good this year. He’s nowhere near as shaky as he was last year. Don’t be suprised if he throws zeros up on the scoreboard today.

4. scapistron - Aug 24, 2011 at 8:04 AM

How do Yankee fans feel about Ian Kennedy pitching well down in Arizona? Yes it is the NL, and yes it is the west.

• paperlions - Aug 24, 2011 at 8:32 AM

I’m sure they are very happy for him.

• vintage1496 - Aug 24, 2011 at 9:04 AM

I’m sure they’re even happier for Curtis Granderson, one of the guys they got for Kennedy.

• yankeefanincolo - Aug 24, 2011 at 9:31 AM

Too bad it wasn’t Joba they traded instead of Kennedy!

• yankeesfanlen - Aug 24, 2011 at 9:47 AM

colo= My sentiments EXACTLY, ‘cept we couldn’t really wait at the time for Kennedy to come around.

• vintage1496 - Aug 24, 2011 at 10:00 AM

Yea I’m not sure anyone saw him performing as well as he is in Arizona. But as stated above, it IS the NL, and it IS the west.

• paperlions - Aug 24, 2011 at 10:32 AM

He is also pitching in an extreme hitters park with thin/dry air that makes it harder to get breaking pitching to break, and he’s still doing well. The guy knows how to pitch, locate, change speeds, and work hitters.

5. Jonny 5 - Aug 24, 2011 at 8:49 AM

Vance Worley, batting- 2 hits, 2 runs, 1 RBI. And then there’s the pitching- 7 innings pitched, 5 hits, 1 earned run, 1 walk, 9 k’s. John Jr. hits a bomb, Ben F had 3 hits, Victorino who’s a Hawaiian hit a bomb. Basically everyone was badass last night besides Utley and some other guy who basically guarantees wins, Brian Schneider. Thank goodness he was playing so they could win again…..

• Sportsdrenched - Aug 24, 2011 at 9:40 AM

Since Worley was getting it done at the plate, what would be his NL Pitcher +/-, run differental thing?

6. clydeserra - Aug 24, 2011 at 9:12 AM

Robinson Cano “walked” with the bases loaded. The 3-2 pitch could not have been better.

“@fastballs
    Mike Fast
    Duringn 2010-2011, there were 1,283 pitches taken by a LHB within one inch of the 3-2 pitch to Cano. 74% of those were called strikes.” http://twitter.com/#!/fastballs/status/106187936256630784

Granderson also had the same fate. Really embarrassing game for Cederstrom.

• paperlions - Aug 24, 2011 at 9:32 AM

Yeah, the 6th pitch to Granderson was easily a strike and the last pitch to Cano wasn’t really close either, a clear strike (according to pitch FX). In those situations, an umpire needs to call pitches just like the rest of the game, you can’t be afraid to punch a guy out on a called strike, which appears to have been the case here.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Aug 24, 2011 at 9:47 AM

But the 4th pitch to granderson wasn’t a strike either. So it should have been 3-1 when he threw the 5th pitch that granderson fouled off. If he doesn’t swing (2-2 instead of 3-1) he walks.

Looks like outside pitches got a lot of called strikes, but pitchers weren’t getting the bottom of the zone for strikes:

• clydeserra - Aug 24, 2011 at 2:19 PM

I agree that Cederstrom was horrible and it hurt the Yankees as well as helping them, but there is a HUGE difference between calling a third strike and not calling a 2-1 a strike. A pitcher will likely throw a different pitch in a 3-1 count than a 2-2 count. We can’t say what would have happened.

7. Sportsdrenched - Aug 24, 2011 at 9:41 AM

Pateintly waiting for the Canadians to chime in about the awesomeness of Bruce Chen.

• proudlycanadian - Aug 24, 2011 at 9:58 AM

Nah! Chen gave up 3 runs. We do wonder about the Jeckel and Hyde performances by Morrow.

• Sportsdrenched - Aug 24, 2011 at 10:04 AM

Jeckel & Hyde, wait till you see Luke Hochaver pitch. He switches from inning to inning.

When I heard Brandon Morrow was starting I thought of this guy:

Last nights Royals line-up had all of 2 hits against Morrow till the game started.

• cur68 - Aug 24, 2011 at 11:07 AM

Us Canadians claim that the Royals were stealing signs. I’m not gonna say from the center field bleachers using some complicated signal system, but definitely from 2nd. Whatever they were up to, good for them: it sure worked a sh!t-tonne.

With fielding errors and near misses on corralling ground balls, it was closer than you might think, pitching-wise. The difference? Chen had better command than Morrow, his team showed better D, and, as for offence, Frenchie basically carried the team (how ’bout that Mr. Calcaterra!). That team has some serious talent going into next season especially as its anchored by the veteran presence of . . . wait for it . . . wait for it . . . one Jeff Francoeur (you feelin’ me on this one Craig? “That guy’s pretty good” C’mon, you can say it…).

T’was actually a pleasure to watch Chen @ work. He put on a clinic of pitch-speed changes, location changes, arm angle changes, and selection. Was it him or was Brian Schneider, the Ultimate Winner, behind the plate? Credit where it’s due, the Royal’s rook catcher, Salvador Perez, was real good; he handled his catching duties like a veteran, was productive at the plate and gave every impression that he could do it day in day out.

As for the BeaverMen, what struck me was how much better Mike McCoy was @ 2nd than Aaron Hill had been. He laid out to knock down at least one ball that Hill wouldn’t even have touched IMO. Today should see the debut of Kelly Johnson. Them’s some bigger spikes to fill than he might have thought.

8. APBA Guy - Aug 24, 2011 at 11:28 AM

Naturally I saw the Yankees/A’s game a bit differently. I saw Brandon Allen hit two homeruns, the first was the longest hit by an A’s hitter this year, a shot to the upper deck in in right that reminded me of Reggie’s blast at Detroit in the All-star game many, many years ago. With an OPS over 1.000 for the A’s in 21 games, he is the embodiment of small sample sizes, but the hope is that at last the A’s have found someone in the farm system who can hit, if only in streaks.

Now I watch a fair number of Yankee games, certainly nothing like uyf or Len, and the Yankees only worry from this game that I could see was the nagging fear that this could be the game that is “it” for Colon, meaning his streak of good results finally ends. He’s had bad games before and turned it around, usually against teams like the A’s. We’ll see.

Speaking of nagging fears, Andrew Bailey doesn’t look quite right to me. Maybe it was throwing against a really intimidating lineup like the Yanks, but he just doesn’t have the same life on the FB as we are used to seeing.

Just got back from visiting the old folks in FL, where nephew #2 accepted a baseball scholarship to last year’s Div 2 WS winner. My brother is 2 for 2 in getting the nephews baseball scholarships. One more to go. But this one has me a little nervous. The school is in Pensacola, home of Dr. Andrews. And while I was in FL I visited an old friend whose son is GM of API in Arizona. So maybe I’m seeing this Bailey performance from a tainted perspective.

Finally back in CA where I can safely mock my DC friends for their hysterical overreaction to the aftershocks of yesterday’s quake. The initial quake, 5.9, was strong enough to generate understandable fear, especially in a place you never expect to feel a quake. But getting all Facebook alarmed over 3.5 aftershocks was amusing. We even had a little sympathy quake locally. Of course, we always do. However, it’s a process. I well remember my first earthquake, at Cuvaison vineyard, when the glasses started moving, then tinkling, then the taste master kind of stopped what he was doing and turned, senses attuned, as if trying to divine if this were going to be “the big one”. When it was over he went right back to what he was doing, while those of us from the East laughed nervously, wide-eyed, at ourselves.

• yankeesfanlen - Aug 24, 2011 at 12:13 PM

Welcome back, APBA. You’re right, the Yanks had plenty of opportunity to advance RISP early in the game, and it turned into a basketball game at the end. I am sorely missing the walk-offs this year.
      The big yip of the day was the “earthquake” which I did not notice and Harley may have sensed, or saw a squirrel in a tree, but prompted sedate emails from the Times (Earthquake Rattles East Coast) and the Daily News (EARTHQUAKE HITS NY!!!). Luckily, I never subscribed to the Pestilence breaking news alerts.
      We lose game one out of Series because Girardi is well-rested and ready to bunt.

9. APBA Guy - Aug 24, 2011 at 3:29 PM

Thanks Len-I’ll try to be more myself tomorrow. Still a touch jet lagged this morning. Or maybe it’s just that I haven’t settled into the 70 degree weather after the 97 plus humidity for a week.

When home-field advantage isn't so
  1. T. Lincecum (3319)