Aug 24, 2011, 3:02 PM EDT
The fact that the Cardinals remain a top-5 attendance team in one of baseball’s smallest market is a testament to the fan loyalty they’ve cultivated. But things are a tad off this year: Rick Hummel reports that the Cardinals are down 2,843 fans a game. No big worries given that they’ll still be over three million, but it’s worth noting I suppose.
And really, my excuse for posting this is really to make people go read the discussion about it over at Baseball Think Factory. Based on an early comment the conversation moves to trying to identify which cities, if any, are unequivocal baseball towns as opposed to football towns or towns of other sports.
The verdict so far: only St. Louis, New York and Boston are baseball towns, and down the thread some people make the argument that even New York can’t claim that as clearly as you’d think. It’s more a town for winners — making it an all-sports town — than just baseball. It’s just that baseball has been where the winning has been.
It certainly applies to St. Louis, though. Not sure that it applies in many other places, if at all. Even the worst football teams seem to capture more municipal fascination than do good baseball teams, almost everywhere.
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 5
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 37
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 26
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 73
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 79
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 65
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)