Cardinals attendance is down close to 3,000 a game

Aug 24, 2011, 3:02 PM EDT

Busch Stadium

The fact that the Cardinals remain a top-5 attendance team in one of baseball’s smallest market is a testament to the fan loyalty they’ve cultivated.  But things are a tad off this year: Rick Hummel reports that the Cardinals are down 2,843 fans a game.  No big worries given that they’ll still be over three million, but it’s worth noting I suppose.

And really, my excuse for posting this is really to make people go read the discussion about it over at Baseball Think Factory.  Based on an early comment the conversation moves to trying to identify which cities, if any, are unequivocal baseball towns as opposed to football towns or towns of other sports.

The verdict so far: only St. Louis, New York and Boston are baseball towns, and down the thread some people make the argument that even New York can’t claim that as clearly as you’d think. It’s more a town for winners — making it an all-sports town — than just baseball.  It’s just that baseball has been where the winning has been.

It certainly applies to St. Louis, though.  Not sure that it applies in many other places, if at all.  Even the worst football teams seem to capture more municipal fascination than do good baseball teams, almost everywhere.

1. Jonny 5 - Aug 24, 2011 at 3:08 PM

I honestly think Cards fans are finally tired of TLR.

• Alex K - Aug 24, 2011 at 3:14 PM

Everyone has been for years!

• Alex K - Aug 24, 2011 at 3:15 PM

Damn.

Everyone else has been for years!

• thefalcon123 - Aug 24, 2011 at 3:21 PM

Not at all. I love a team that “improves” by casting off talented young players in favor of crusty old way past their prime veterans , 8 pitching changes a game, people thrown into random positions they don’t normally play for the hell of it and the most sac bunts in baseball. It makes me realize that no matter how bad I am at my job, someone else out there is getting paid way more to do a much worse job (blah blah, he’s very successful, blah blah).

I can’t wait until next year, when Skip Schumaker will be in the rotation and Julio Franco will be our starting 2nd baseman.

2. thefalcon123 - Aug 24, 2011 at 3:15 PM

The Cardinals rank in attendance since the beginning of my life (1982):
    4th, 3rd, 4th, 3rd, 3rd, 1st, 3rd, 1st, 3rd, 3rd, 3rd, 6th, 5th, 7th, 4th, 4th, 4th, 3rd, 1st, 3rd, 4th, 4th, 6th*, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd, 3rd, 3rd, 3rd, 3rd.

Pretty impressive for a city that barely cracks 300,000 people in population.

• drunkenhooliganism - Aug 24, 2011 at 3:18 PM

I knew it wouldn’t take long before a st louis fan would congratulate his fanbase for being so damn awesome.

• thefalcon123 - Aug 24, 2011 at 3:23 PM

Objectively speaking, that is pretty awesome.

I have many, many bad things to say about them. IE, relentlessly cheering when dudes with names like Bo Hart or Stubby Clapp dive into first, booing Ray Lankford, and Ecksteinmania. That shit makes me want to vomit.

• paperlions - Aug 24, 2011 at 3:36 PM

yeah, what I want to know is how this relates to Philly fans and their distinct trend as bandwaggoners.

• Jonny 5 - Aug 24, 2011 at 4:03 PM

PL, your jealousy burns like the Shingles in TLR’s eye…

• paperlions - Aug 24, 2011 at 5:26 PM

My Jealousy of what? The one Philly sports title in forever?

• Jonny 5 - Aug 25, 2011 at 9:39 AM

Dude, I was kidding. But anyway, your obsession with Phillies fans is pretty obvious though, have fun with that.

• Sportsdrenched - Aug 24, 2011 at 4:44 PM

*Pretty impressive for a city that barely cracks 300,000 people in population.*

Ok, Not really topical. But this kind of annoys me. We all know it’s not a Metro Areas name sake’s actual population, but how many people are in the “market”.

You can argue that St Louis is a “smaller” market. But don’t tell me the Cardinals, Rams, and Blues are supported by only 300K.

3. Brian Murphy - Aug 24, 2011 at 3:31 PM

Watching today’s game, there’s hardly anyone in the seats, and Jaime Garcia isn’t making it easy for the fans to sit through this one.

4. brucewaynewins - Aug 24, 2011 at 3:43 PM

I would argue adding Chicago is a baseball town as is Cincinnati to this list. I would say Pittsburgh is the least baseball town of all cities with MLB teams. Its the only city where the NFL AND NHL get more attention than the baseball team.

• mill2093 - Aug 24, 2011 at 4:27 PM

Minneapolis/St. Paul might disagree.

• Sportsdrenched - Aug 24, 2011 at 4:46 PM

Denver?

5. okwhitefalcon - Aug 24, 2011 at 4:05 PM

It’s not surprising, they’re hard enough to watch on TV let alone be there in person.

When things go this way I usually look forward to September call ups, not the case this year.

Thanks Jeff Luhnow, you’ve taken the fun out of a fading season.

6. chadh88 - Aug 24, 2011 at 5:20 PM

I wish St Louis wasn’t a baseball town. I would much rather go to a Blues or Rams game any day. And don’t think that the Edward Jones Dome won’t be packed full the next couple years when Bradford really breaks out and we are a legit top 5 NFL team. Now if only the Rams could get a formidable place to play…

7. ta192 - Aug 24, 2011 at 5:38 PM

Pretty interesting argument. Plays well with So FLa’s fascination with all things Dolphin, even when the mullets won something… By the logic of the article, the Red Sox support in the presence of Patriot, Celtic, and Bruin excellence over the years would stamp Boston as the premier baseball town in America.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (4187)