Craig Kimbrel ties rookie saves record

Aug 24, 2011, 9:14 AM EST

Atlanta Braves v Chicago Cubs Getty Images

Braves closer Craig Kimbrel notched his 40th save to tie the major league rookie record set last season by Neftali Feliz. He leads the majors in saves. The guy has been nearly untouchable all summer, and and has now tossed 31 and two-thirds straight scoreless innings since June 11. During that time he has been perfect in 22 save opportunities.

Last night’s was a little more dicey than usual, with a Jason Heyward error allowing a runner to reach second before Kimbrel took care of business by striking out Tyler Colvin.

I’m assuming that the Heyward bobble will trump the Heyward grand slam in Fredi Gonzalez’s mind when he makes out the lineup card tonight.

1. Chris Fiorentino - Aug 24, 2011 at 9:45 AM

“took care of business by striking out Tyler Colvin.”

If that business was setting down a guy who probably shouldn’t even be in Double-A ball right now, then yes, Kimbrel took care of business. Not a knock on Kimbrel…he can only pitch to who they put out there. But my God!!! Colvin absolutely, totally sucks. Ramirez should have just kept running and hope for an error on the rundown throws…he would probably have had a better chance of scoring that way then praying for Colvin’s bat to make contact with the ball.

• Chris Fiorentino - Aug 24, 2011 at 10:04 AM

Did I miss something? Is Colvin not hitting .142? OK, just checked and yeah, he’s hitting .142. Guess this is one of those times when the idiots just click thumbs down for the sake of doing it. Unless somebody wants to actually grow some balls and tell me why I am wrong about Colvin being right around Little League quality right now.

• Alex K - Aug 24, 2011 at 11:51 AM

Who else was he going to pinch hit? Tony Campana? Koyie Hill? They are both just as bad or worse than Colvin. He ran the best of three bad options out there.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Aug 24, 2011 at 12:19 PM

No thumbs down from me b/c I agree…but Alex K is right too, Quade had three choices basically: poo, pee, or puke.

Finally, don’t F@ck with Kimbrel (or Venters). Dude will mow down Ryan Howard like he’s Tyler F@cking Colvin. BOOOOOOYAHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!1111

• Chris Fiorentino - Aug 24, 2011 at 12:49 PM

Campana at least is hitting .280. You only needed a single since Ramirez made it to second on the error. Campana would have been a far superior choice over Colvin. Hill, as a switch-hitter would have also been a far superior choice over Colvin. This guy has 2 hits in 32 at bats vs lefties…an .065 batting average against lefties. And he was put in cold off the bench against the best left-handed reliever in the game.

Say what you will, but Colvin does not belong on a major league roster. I don’t even think he would make Japan’s LL team.

• Chris Fiorentino - Aug 24, 2011 at 12:50 PM

Kimbrel is a righty…it’s not my day. Geeze I suck. Let the thumbing down commence!!!!!!!!!!

• Alex K - Aug 24, 2011 at 1:14 PM

Campana or Hill would not have been a better choice. Campana can hardly get the ball out of the infield, he’s fast and that helps his average. Hill just all out stinks. I don’t know if anyone is more suprised than him when he hits the ball. I’m not saying Colvin is a good chioce just the best option at the time.

• Chris Fiorentino - Aug 24, 2011 at 1:59 PM

Well, not to go all church and sabremetric on you, but the numbers do not prove out your point even a little bit. Campana is hitting .300 against RIGHTIES while Colvin is hitting .160. Like I said, a weak single through the infield would have brought home the tying run. Cubbies were at home, and should play for the tie. A single was all that was needed…and Campana gave you the best chance of that over a guy hitting about as piss poor as you can get.

I will agree with this though….none of them would have given me too much confidence…but to say that Colvin was the best choice is flat out wrong, according to the #’s.

• Alex K - Aug 24, 2011 at 2:33 PM

The sample sizes you are working off are tiny. Sure Campana is hitting .299 against righties, but that is in 93 plate apperances. Colvin is hitting .160 against righties in 125 PA. The really small amount of plate appearances make those averages very meaningless. I’m telling you, Colvin is a better hitter than Campana and 93 PA do nthing to change my mind.

• Alex K - Aug 24, 2011 at 2:36 PM

I guess what I’m really saying is the nimbers prove your point as much as they prove mine. Colvin has hit .223 in 431 PA against righties in his big league career. Campana only has those 93 PA against righties in his big league career.

• sprizzle2182 - Aug 24, 2011 at 2:07 PM

not that u don’t have a valid point, but it wouldn’t have mattered who yall sent up to bat…Kimbrel is a BEAST and they would have been sat down just like Colvin…

2. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Aug 24, 2011 at 9:58 AM

Craig, please continue to write about Heyward’s issues and lack of production so that he hits a grand slam every game will ya?

• FC - Aug 24, 2011 at 10:02 AM

Really, Craig has missed a # of opportunities now to use that newfangled Sorcery he seems to have acquired.

• Jonny 5 - Aug 24, 2011 at 10:41 AM

Since I began harping about Wilson Valdez hitting into DP’s every game, It’s stopped. WTH is this some kind of HBT voodoo magic?

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. J. Kang (2731)
  2. W. Myers (2480)
  3. C. McGehee (2086)
  4. D. Ross (2081)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (1934)
  1. J. Shields (1828)