Aug 24, 2011, 7:36 PM EDT
The Cubs are well out of contention for a playoff spot and would do well to dump some cash. And the Yankees could use an upgrade at designated hitter, where Jorge Posada and Co. have been far too inconsistent. But it doesn’t sound like Pena will be making his way to New York this month.
Carrie Muskat of MLB.com wrote earlier today that the 33-year-old slugger is “not going anywhere” and ESPN.com’s Buster Olney tweeted moments ago that the Cubs and Yanks have “had no contact” yet concerning the waiver claim.
Pena will become a free agent this winter and could probably net the Cubs a lower-tier prospect from the Yankees’ farm system, but the Chicago front office made no effort to shop him at last month’s non-waiver deadline and apparently haven’t found new motivation here in late August.
Phil Rogers of the Chicago Tribune thinks he knows the Cubs’ primary reason for standing pat: half of the one-year, $10 million free agent contract that Pena signed last winter was deferred to 2012.
And why does that matter? Well … uhh … we don’t have a damn clue.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 54
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 47
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 57
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (100)