Aug 24, 2011, 7:36 PM EDT
The Cubs are well out of contention for a playoff spot and would do well to dump some cash. And the Yankees could use an upgrade at designated hitter, where Jorge Posada and Co. have been far too inconsistent. But it doesn’t sound like Pena will be making his way to New York this month.
Carrie Muskat of MLB.com wrote earlier today that the 33-year-old slugger is “not going anywhere” and ESPN.com’s Buster Olney tweeted moments ago that the Cubs and Yanks have “had no contact” yet concerning the waiver claim.
Pena will become a free agent this winter and could probably net the Cubs a lower-tier prospect from the Yankees’ farm system, but the Chicago front office made no effort to shop him at last month’s non-waiver deadline and apparently haven’t found new motivation here in late August.
Phil Rogers of the Chicago Tribune thinks he knows the Cubs’ primary reason for standing pat: half of the one-year, $10 million free agent contract that Pena signed last winter was deferred to 2012.
And why does that matter? Well … uhh … we don’t have a damn clue.
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 8
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 12
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 10
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 31
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (88)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)