Aug 24, 2011, 3:49 PM EDT
Tomorrow afternoon is the deadline for the Rockies to work out a trade for Wandy Rodriguez after claiming him off waivers, but Astros general manager Ed Wade told Brian McTaggart of MLB.com that he doesn’t expect a deal to happen:
I can’t make predictions. I don’t predict what could happen, but my gut tells me at this point there’s no reason to believe that Wandy will be pitching anywhere than wherever we’re playing in five days, which is Houston.
Breaking news: Ed Wade physically unable to make predictions. Or something.
Anyway, there was some speculation earlier this week that the Astros might simply let any team claiming Rodriguez have the 32-year-old southpaw and his remaining contract, but instead Wade is reportedly holding out for a significant return in addition to salary relief.
In the meantime Rodriguez is starting against the Rockies today, in Colorado, which is a weird situation to say the least. And he coughed up four runs in the first inning.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 32
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 7
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)