Aug 24, 2011, 3:49 PM EDT
Tomorrow afternoon is the deadline for the Rockies to work out a trade for Wandy Rodriguez after claiming him off waivers, but Astros general manager Ed Wade told Brian McTaggart of MLB.com that he doesn’t expect a deal to happen:
I can’t make predictions. I don’t predict what could happen, but my gut tells me at this point there’s no reason to believe that Wandy will be pitching anywhere than wherever we’re playing in five days, which is Houston.
Breaking news: Ed Wade physically unable to make predictions. Or something.
Anyway, there was some speculation earlier this week that the Astros might simply let any team claiming Rodriguez have the 32-year-old southpaw and his remaining contract, but instead Wade is reportedly holding out for a significant return in addition to salary relief.
In the meantime Rodriguez is starting against the Rockies today, in Colorado, which is a weird situation to say the least. And he coughed up four runs in the first inning.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 98
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 52
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 16
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 7
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 75
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (112)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (75)
- Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- Tebow fact: He reminds Chuck Norris of Chuck Norris
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- HBT: Astros vendor fired after taking food into bathroom
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement