Aug 24, 2011, 10:47 AM EDT
Rarely does agent Scott Boras advise a star client nearing free agency to bypass the open market and sign a long-term extension, let alone a long-term extension for a surprisingly reasonable rate. The only difference with Jered Weaver is that he ignored Boras’ advice.
In yesterday’s press conference officially announcing his five-year, $85 million deal Weaver explained that his desire to remain with the Angels outweighed Boras’ assurances that he could get an even bigger deal as a free agent after next season. Or as Weaver put it: “How much money do you really need in life?”
Here’s what Weaver had to say about Boras:
Obviously, he wants to give you the best options and free agency can give you the best options. He would have liked to have seen me gone, but I told him I wanted to get something done and he was more than willing to work with me about it that way.
And the commission on an $85 million extension is still a pretty nice chunk of change.
Weaver noted that Boras’ contentious negotiations with the Angels on his behalf as a draft pick in 2005 “was a rough time for me and my family” and “I didn’t want to have that feeling ever again.”
Plus, as Weaver explained: “If $85 [million] is not enough to take care of my family and other generations of families then I’m pretty stupid.”
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 1
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 36
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 26
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 60
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)