Aug 24, 2011, 10:47 AM EDT
Rarely does agent Scott Boras advise a star client nearing free agency to bypass the open market and sign a long-term extension, let alone a long-term extension for a surprisingly reasonable rate. The only difference with Jered Weaver is that he ignored Boras’ advice.
In yesterday’s press conference officially announcing his five-year, $85 million deal Weaver explained that his desire to remain with the Angels outweighed Boras’ assurances that he could get an even bigger deal as a free agent after next season. Or as Weaver put it: “How much money do you really need in life?”
Here’s what Weaver had to say about Boras:
Obviously, he wants to give you the best options and free agency can give you the best options. He would have liked to have seen me gone, but I told him I wanted to get something done and he was more than willing to work with me about it that way.
And the commission on an $85 million extension is still a pretty nice chunk of change.
Weaver noted that Boras’ contentious negotiations with the Angels on his behalf as a draft pick in 2005 “was a rough time for me and my family” and “I didn’t want to have that feeling ever again.”
Plus, as Weaver explained: “If $85 [million] is not enough to take care of my family and other generations of families then I’m pretty stupid.”
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 26
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 43
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 15
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- More drama in Miami: Marlins demote third base coach Brett Butler after “confusion” over signs 35
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)