Aug 24, 2011, 8:01 PM EDT
The first-place Diamondbacks were dealt a scare on Tuesday night when star right fielder Justin Upton was forced from action after getting hit on the left elbow by a pitch. It turns out he’s just fine.
Upton was diagnosed with a mild left elbow contusion and is back in the Arizona starting lineup on Wednesday evening against the Nationals.
Here’s what the 23-year-old National League MVP candidate told the media during a pregame chat (via Nick Piecoro of the Arizona Republic):
“I’m just a little sore and I can play when I’m sore.”
Upton has posted a sparkling .298/.370/.544 slash line with 25 homers, 77 RBI and 19 steals through 548 plate appearances this season. He has also appeared in all 129 of the Diamondbacks’ games thus far.
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 0
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 53
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 12
- Don Mattingly may be uttering his last words as Dodgers manager 48
- Jaime Garcia needs shoulder surgery 8
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (110)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (70)
- Live Extra: Watch Penguins-Senators, Game 4
- LIVE: Heat host Pacers in Game 1 of East finals
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games