Kerry Wood wants to stay with the Cubs in 2012

Aug 24, 2011, 3:15 PM EDT

kerry-wood-cubs Getty Images

Kerry Wood took less money to sign with the Cubs as a free agent this offseason and then turned down a chance to potentially join a contender at the trade deadline, so not surprisingly he’s also interested in re-signing for 2012.

Wood will be a free agent this offseason and should draw plenty of interest following a strong season in which he’s thrown 42 innings with a 3.24 ERA and 48/18 K/BB ratio in a setup role, but the 34-year-old said during a radio interview today that “hopefully Chicago would like to have me back.”

Wood is earning $1.5 million after turning down more lucrative offers from several teams, including the crosstown White Sox, and has indicated previously that he’d basically like to be a Cub for life. His stance on that apparently hasn’t changed despite longtime friend Jim Hendry being fired as general manager last week, with Wood calling it “part of the game.”

1. Alex K - Aug 24, 2011 at 3:43 PM

Good. He’s effective and cheap. Plus, I can’t name one Cubs fan who doesn’t love Kid K.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Aug 24, 2011 at 4:14 PM

As a non-fan, but having a rooting interest as a Chicagoan, I like Wood but I gave him a lot of flack for making this decision and I still think he’s kinda nuts. It clearly wasn’t about the money and I can applaud a guy for doing something that looks less greedy from time to time (see Weaver’s new deal). My point then was that he took less money to move back to a clear non-contender. If it isn’t about money, it’s also not about winning championships either. It’s clear that the main factors were Chicago the city, his family’s situation and not wanting to uproot them. I get that too, I just don’t think that should have prevented him from moving to the South Side or another midwest team.

The Cubs, on the other hand, are extremely lucky to have Kerry Wood (amazing to write that b/c five years ago, that would be a crazy f’ing sentence to write and ten years ago that would have been an obvious sentence to write…my how time changes everything…Mark Prior is still injured btw…that won’t change)

• Alex K - Aug 24, 2011 at 4:18 PM

I’m not going to look a gift horse in the mouth. He wants to be a Cubs and is willing to take less money to do so. He’s still good, too!

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Aug 24, 2011 at 5:09 PM

That he is. I’m quite surprised he’s been so reliable. I knew he was still pretty darned good, but injury is strong with that one, at least it used to be.

2. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Aug 24, 2011 at 4:03 PM

Aaron, did I miss it or did HBT? Konerko hits 2000 hits and the Sun Times reports on it!!!! I want a piece about how the media is making too big a deal out of a 2000 hits when everyone (cough, michael young, cough) is doing it!

3. youngyankee - Aug 24, 2011 at 10:19 PM

just as I write this soriano and his 35million dollar arm gives up a monster shot to cereal.

man I miss Kerry wood….

Patience finally paying off for Royals fans
  1. R. Castillo (2880)