Aug 24, 2011, 6:22 PM EST
Does a one-day absence really need an official transaction? Apparently, it does.
Miguel Cabrera will start at first base for the Tigers tonight, but he’ll miss Thursday’s game with his wife due to have labor induced, manager Jim Leyland said. Detroit will officially place him on the paternity leave list and call up a player to replace him. For one day. Until he returns in time to start Friday’s game.
The Tigers will probably just go ahead and use Victor Martinez at first base and Magglio Ordonez at DH tomorrow against the Rays, but some lucky minor leaguer will get a round-trip flight to St. Pete and a major league paycheck for a day thanks to the move.
- Keith Law Ranks the Farm Systems: Yay for Chicago! Boo for Detroit! 0
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 153
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 33
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 36
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (153)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (94)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)