Aug 24, 2011, 6:22 PM EDT
Does a one-day absence really need an official transaction? Apparently, it does.
Miguel Cabrera will start at first base for the Tigers tonight, but he’ll miss Thursday’s game with his wife due to have labor induced, manager Jim Leyland said. Detroit will officially place him on the paternity leave list and call up a player to replace him. For one day. Until he returns in time to start Friday’s game.
The Tigers will probably just go ahead and use Victor Martinez at first base and Magglio Ordonez at DH tomorrow against the Rays, but some lucky minor leaguer will get a round-trip flight to St. Pete and a major league paycheck for a day thanks to the move.
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 21
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 38
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 21
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 55
- Maximum stay on Hall of Fame ballot changed from 15 to 10 years 66
- Jon Lester is willing to return to the Red Sox as a free agent even if they trade him 32
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (164)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)