Aug 24, 2011, 6:22 PM EDT
Does a one-day absence really need an official transaction? Apparently, it does.
Miguel Cabrera will start at first base for the Tigers tonight, but he’ll miss Thursday’s game with his wife due to have labor induced, manager Jim Leyland said. Detroit will officially place him on the paternity leave list and call up a player to replace him. For one day. Until he returns in time to start Friday’s game.
The Tigers will probably just go ahead and use Victor Martinez at first base and Magglio Ordonez at DH tomorrow against the Rays, but some lucky minor leaguer will get a round-trip flight to St. Pete and a major league paycheck for a day thanks to the move.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 17
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 7
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8
- Brandon Belt headed to disabled list with concussion 5
- Cardinals are interested in David Price, but “would want a financial commitment” from him 47
- Blue Jays, Giants “taking their best shot” at Chase Utley 19
- Baseball is dying, you guys (148)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Watch Derek Jeter tell Joe Buck to get the heck out of the clubhouse (91)
- Adam Wainwright follows the rules and pays the price (90)
- The Astros did not sign number one overall pick Brady Aiken. This is a big deal. (90)