Aug 24, 2011, 6:22 PM EDT
Does a one-day absence really need an official transaction? Apparently, it does.
Miguel Cabrera will start at first base for the Tigers tonight, but he’ll miss Thursday’s game with his wife due to have labor induced, manager Jim Leyland said. Detroit will officially place him on the paternity leave list and call up a player to replace him. For one day. Until he returns in time to start Friday’s game.
The Tigers will probably just go ahead and use Victor Martinez at first base and Magglio Ordonez at DH tomorrow against the Rays, but some lucky minor leaguer will get a round-trip flight to St. Pete and a major league paycheck for a day thanks to the move.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (160)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)