Aug 24, 2011, 6:22 PM EDT
Does a one-day absence really need an official transaction? Apparently, it does.
Miguel Cabrera will start at first base for the Tigers tonight, but he’ll miss Thursday’s game with his wife due to have labor induced, manager Jim Leyland said. Detroit will officially place him on the paternity leave list and call up a player to replace him. For one day. Until he returns in time to start Friday’s game.
The Tigers will probably just go ahead and use Victor Martinez at first base and Magglio Ordonez at DH tomorrow against the Rays, but some lucky minor leaguer will get a round-trip flight to St. Pete and a major league paycheck for a day thanks to the move.
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 0
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 10
- Who really owns a home run ball? 59
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 125
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 128
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (125)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)