Aug 24, 2011, 4:15 PM EDT
– We mentioned last month that Josh Tomlin broke Daisuke Matsuzaka’s major league record for outings of at least five innings to begin a career. That streak was snapped at 37 today, as he was charged with six runs in 4 2/3 innings. Tomlin broke the record with his 29th straight appearance of at least five innings on July 4.
– The incomparable Wily Mo Pena went 3-for-3 with a homer, a double, four RBI, a walk and a HBP. Yes, that’s right, a walk. It was his first in 23 games this season. His previous major league walk came on July 29, 2008. It was also his first three-hit game since Sept. 14, 2007, and it marked the first time in 583 career games that he’s reached base five times.
– Kyle Seager went 4-for-4 with three doubles and three runs scored. Chris Coghlan on April 6 and Ben Zobrist on June 11 are the only other two players to collect four hits, three doubles and three runs scored in a game this season. Including Tuesday’s doubleheader, Seager now has a remarkable 10 hits in two days, raising his average from .224 to .312. He’s the 12th player this year to have three straight games with three hits. No one has made it to four.
– Jamey Wright fanned five in two scoreless innings out of the pen. It was his high strikeout game since Aug. 3, 2007 and the first time he’s ever fanned so many batters without throwing at least four innings.
– Mariners pitching as a whole fanned 16 batters, the team’s most in a nine-inning game since Aug. 8, 1997. The team did have 16 strikeouts in a 14-inning win over the White Sox on Aug. 12, 2009.
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 1
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 8
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 34
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 176
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 74
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 37
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (175)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)