Aug 24, 2011, 5:17 PM EST
UPDATE: The deal is now official, with Tocci signing for $759,000.
Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com reports that the Phillies are on the verge of signing 16-year-old Venezuelan center fielder Carlos Tocci for around $750,000, with the only holdup being that they have to wait until he turns 16 and is actually eligible to sign.
He’ll help restock a farm system that has seen numerous top prospects traded away in recent years, with Ben Badler of Baseball America writing that the 6-foot-2, 150-pound Tocci “is one of the more intriguing prospects in Venezuela” and “is a plus-plus runner who shows feel for hitting with a line-drive swing.”
Colorado was also reportedly in the mix for Tocci.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- The Cleveland Plain Dealer comes out strongly against Chief Wahoo (116)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (87)
- Report: Harold Reynolds, Tom Verducci to join Joe Buck for World Series booth at Fox (73)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)