Aug 24, 2011, 5:17 PM EDT
UPDATE: The deal is now official, with Tocci signing for $759,000.
Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com reports that the Phillies are on the verge of signing 16-year-old Venezuelan center fielder Carlos Tocci for around $750,000, with the only holdup being that they have to wait until he turns 16 and is actually eligible to sign.
He’ll help restock a farm system that has seen numerous top prospects traded away in recent years, with Ben Badler of Baseball America writing that the 6-foot-2, 150-pound Tocci “is one of the more intriguing prospects in Venezuela” and “is a plus-plus runner who shows feel for hitting with a line-drive swing.”
Colorado was also reportedly in the mix for Tocci.
- Alex Cobb confirmed to have elbow ligament tear 0
- Royals expected to get closer Greg Holland back tomorrow 1
- Madison Bumgarner threw his fastest pitch since 2010 9
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 56
- Rangers snap Astros’ 10-game winning streak 7
- UPDATE: Hanley Ramirez exits game with a left shoulder sprain 27
- Nelson Cruz, Adrian Gonzalez named Players of the Month 18
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 95
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)
- Buck Showalter had some wise words about what’s happening in Baltimore (123)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (120)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)