Aug 24, 2011, 5:17 PM EDT
UPDATE: The deal is now official, with Tocci signing for $759,000.
Jim Salisbury of CSNPhilly.com reports that the Phillies are on the verge of signing 16-year-old Venezuelan center fielder Carlos Tocci for around $750,000, with the only holdup being that they have to wait until he turns 16 and is actually eligible to sign.
He’ll help restock a farm system that has seen numerous top prospects traded away in recent years, with Ben Badler of Baseball America writing that the 6-foot-2, 150-pound Tocci “is one of the more intriguing prospects in Venezuela” and “is a plus-plus runner who shows feel for hitting with a line-drive swing.”
Colorado was also reportedly in the mix for Tocci.
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 0
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 6
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 52
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)