Phillies fans: you’re not really enjoying yourselves, are you?

Aug 24, 2011, 3:30 PM EST

Phillies fans AP

Howard Bryant of ESPN.com makes a pretty decent observation: when your team becomes a superpower, your fandom changes. The magic is really only there at the beginning of a dynasty or near-dynasty. After that you’re not satisfied with anything short of a title and something is lost.

His Exhibit A: Phillies fans:

For all the fans yearning for their teams to be in the high-payroll, trade-deadline-aggressive, all-in-every-year category, the price of being a superpower can be, of all things, the loss of fun … The Phillies and their fans have entered, for them, a new territory in which winning has been transformed from hope to expectation. It can come at a heavy price for the sports fan, but one that many fans would love to pay. Or at least think they would.

I think the dynamic is right, though I think that Bryant overstates things for most people. When the Braves were in year 12 and 13 of their division title run I’ll admit that it was way, way less special for me than things were in 1991. How could it not be? I wanted the season to get underway, then I wanted the inevitable rise to first place to occur quickly, but then I wanted the playoffs to hurry up and start.  Smelling the roses of the regular season made me a bit impatient.

But it was still fun.  At least for me it was.  Of course, I’m probably less of a rah-rah guy than a lot of others. And it goes without saying that Braves fans are less of a rah-rah bunch than those of other teams.

Phillies fans may be the most rah-rah of them all.  So tell me, you guys: still having fun? Or is there a certain stress, the sort of which Bryant describes, inherent in your baseball lives these days?

No pressure.

132 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. cur68 - Aug 24, 2011 at 3:34 PM

Well sh!t. I wish us BeaverMen fans were not having as much as the Philly Phans are not having. Or something.

• proudlycanadian - Aug 24, 2011 at 4:50 PM

Nevermind! We are better at beaver wrestling than anyone.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Aug 24, 2011 at 5:21 PM

Do you beat the beaver or just hold the beaver down until it submits?

• proudlycanadian - Aug 24, 2011 at 5:25 PM

State secret!

• cur68 - Aug 24, 2011 at 5:40 PM

But keep in mind: Beavers are protected over here. We respect them. Then we wrestle them. As for how that’s done, all you can be told at this point is that it involves lots of wood.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Aug 24, 2011 at 5:48 PM

’nuff said. I’ll see you in Canada.

• Utley's Hair - Aug 24, 2011 at 5:48 PM

And cake.

• Utley's Hair - Aug 24, 2011 at 5:49 PM

But Heyward, I think you are referring to spanking, which you do to monkeys—sorry, drmonkeyarmy.

• cur68 - Aug 24, 2011 at 5:55 PM

Hey, don’t irritate that guy: he has access to an army of primates, you know. Probably New World, prehensile tail poo flinging primates. You don’t wanna try and spank that.

• Utley's Hair - Aug 24, 2011 at 6:11 PM

Seisenta y ocho, don’t they fling pies? Of fecal matter, of course….

• cur68 - Aug 24, 2011 at 6:16 PM

Well, pie is really only fit for flinging, of course, so yes, I suspect they do fling pies. As to the nature of the pie, that’s irrelevant of course, since all pie is waste, ipso facto. Whatever the case; tread lightly around the monkey army. BTW I’m serious with that: watch where you put your feet. Those things aint housebroke.

• proudlycanadian - Aug 24, 2011 at 6:36 PM

We Canucks like to have our cake and eat it too.

2. mattjg - Aug 24, 2011 at 3:34 PM

We’re tired of the winning. That’s why we don’t show up to games anymore. Oh, wait….

3. tjv027 - Aug 24, 2011 at 3:35 PM

As a Phillies fan that watched my team toil in irrelevance from 1993 – 2007, I assure you, I am enjoying myself.

Maybe write a real story, Calcaterra, instead of passing along other journalists’ work to rile up Philly fans. In terms of quality, this website doesn’t hold a candle to ProFootballTalk, and this is one of the reasons why.

• mrfloydpink - Aug 24, 2011 at 3:42 PM

This being the case, it is really criminal that Craig is forcing you to read the blog, end even to waste your valuable time commenting on stories.

• tjv027 - Aug 24, 2011 at 3:58 PM

Ah, the old “no one’s forcing you to read” argument. Well you’re right, no one is forcing me to read. But on the whole, I like this site, because it’s a good for both legit news and rumors. Even further, I like a lot of the stuff Craig writes. It just sucks that he feels the need to do this garbage once every couple of days and post something that has no journalistic value, simply because he dislikes the Phillies. If Howard Bryant would have written this type of story about a different team, Craig wouldn’t have bothered with it.

• mrfloydpink - Aug 24, 2011 at 4:58 PM

First of all, some of you Philly fans are far too sensitive. This story isn’t ACTUALLY critical of the Phillies. It uses the Phillies as an example–the best current example–to make the argument that it’s sometimes more fun to be climbing the hill than it is to be on top of the hill. Whether that idea is agreeable or not, it ultimately has little to do with the Phillies–if this was a basketball site they could have made the same argument with the Lakers or Heat or Mave; on a football site they could have done the same with the Patriots or Steelers. And EVEN if you think the idea is somehow anti-Philly, the idea belongs to Howard Bryant, not Craig. He is simply passing it along with observations and opening it for discussion, which is his job.

Second, when you say things like “this website doesn’t hold a candle to ProFootballTalk,” you move beyond the realm of constructive criticism/dialog and into the realm of being petty and trite. And so you should expect responses like mine.

Third, ProFootball Talk is really kind of terrible, as others have pointed out. I would very much like a resource for keeping on top of football news, and PFT isn’t it. Which is why I don’t read it.

• cur68 - Aug 24, 2011 at 3:45 PM

Couldn’t disagree with you more tj’. I’ve spent time on PFT. IMO its full of loudmouths, racists, and general a-holes all shouting their heads off like their comments really matters to the overall success of their teams. Whole thing’s presided over by a guy who doesn’t post half the content that come in. If that’s ‘quality’ then I don’t want none. Round here you get the same passion without the ‘shouting’, racism, and minimal on the a-hole content (lookin’ rightatcha dirtyharry1971).

This particular article has significance to the HBT community as we’ve had a season long history of semi-serious mockery, most by the Phaithphull themselves, about Philly Phandom passion. Its apropo that Craig link it and write a piece on it because it’ll be one of the most commented on posts today I bet.

• tjv027 - Aug 24, 2011 at 4:00 PM

I wasn’t talking about the commenters. You’re right, they are brutal. But what you call ‘not posting everything that comes in’, I call ‘editing’.

• kopy - Aug 24, 2011 at 4:11 PM

Are you talking about the writers then? I was turned off on PFT the first time I heard about it, when Mike Florio irrationally attacked Aaron Rodgers. Hey, everyone makes mistakes, but then he followed it up with a “last word” piece cementing his position and attacking his criticizers. Only after these two gems did he finally offer an apology that still laid blame on everyone else for his irrationality. I don’t still care about the issue, but it’s the reason I’ve chosen not to venture over there.

• cur68 - Aug 24, 2011 at 4:16 PM

I remember that kopy. I commented against what Florio wrote twice & didn’t get posted either time. That’s not editing, just censorship since he breezily allowed all sorts of crap to be said about Rodgers so long as it agreed with him. Its one of the main reasons I stopped going to the site, too. “Quality”? Not so much. “Editing”? Ditto.

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 24, 2011 at 5:05 PM

Boycott PFT!!! I like it….we need more anti-establishment rebellion on these sites. Good idea Cur.

• Utley's Hair - Aug 24, 2011 at 6:12 PM

I think I’ve been passively boycotting PFT—at least commenting, except for maybe once or twice—for just about my entire life.

• heyblueyoustink - Aug 24, 2011 at 3:46 PM

Yeah, you tell him! Go go go……back to Pro Football talk, blowhard.

• kellyb9 - Aug 24, 2011 at 3:46 PM

I like the NFL, but ProFootballTalk is filled with trolls as commenters. I agree with the first part of your comment, and I highly disagree with the second part.

• philsgamer - Aug 24, 2011 at 3:49 PM

I actually think Howard Bryant has a valid point and the fact that Craig can relate by being a Braves fan makes it a valid question that he poses. I’m as much a Phils fan as everyone else, but I feel at this point that winning the division is mostly routine and I honestly just want the regular season to be over with and get to the playoffs already.

Something about baseball being played in long sleeves and those caps with the fold-down ear warmers really gets my blood pumping.

• philsgamer - Aug 24, 2011 at 3:51 PM

I wouldn’t however, say that I’m having less fun. I just expect this much fun now…

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Aug 24, 2011 at 3:58 PM

this website doesn’t hold a candle to ProFootballTalk

hahahahahahaahaah
      breathe
      hahaahahhaahaahaa

Really PFT is something to look up to? Florio is a shill for NFL brass. The comments there are stuck in the ’70s (zomg Player A has X amount of wins so he’s obviously better than Player B). The stories are often 10 line summaries or links to other works. There’s zero editorial content there.

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 24, 2011 at 4:59 PM

PFT is an absolute joke. All Florio does is recycle 2 day old articles written by beat writers…then proceed to cherry pick comments. The comment the guy made above never would have made it on the board. Furthermore, the posters all seemed to be hopped up frat boy wannabes.

• aceshigh11 - Aug 24, 2011 at 4:09 PM

What a self-important twit you are.

The Phillies fans here (many of them recent front-running converts, no doubt) basically have HBT all to themselves to obsess over every nuance of every game.

If you’re still so insecure, with your team being an unstoppable juggernaut this year, that you can’t laugh at some good-natured ribbing, I don’t know what to tell you.

Go ahead and try to get Craig fired for journalistic malfeasance. I’m sure NBC Sports will take your comments very seriously.

• nolanwiffle - Aug 25, 2011 at 7:58 AM

It is the Philly fans’ collective sense of humor and capacity for self-depracation that makes them so endearing.

• schlom - Aug 24, 2011 at 4:22 PM

Losing in Game 6 of the World Series on one of the most famous sports plays in American history is “toiling in irrelevance?” Would they have had to win the World Series to be relevant or just make it to Game 7?

• Utley's Hair - Aug 24, 2011 at 6:14 PM

It’s a good thing Craig and HBT doesn’t hold a candle to PFT—sh!t is flammable, don’t you know?

4. The Baseball Gods - Aug 24, 2011 at 3:36 PM

Definitely still having fun…..if you’re not having fun as a Phillies fan this season then you probably shouldn’t be a Phillies fan. Yes the Phillies were expected to make the playoffs, but to be 39 games over .500 on August 23rd is pretty awesome in itself. Baseball is a long season and a true baseball fan always has to enjoy the ride of the regular season or else they are what you call “bandwagon fans.”

5. vince9663 - Aug 24, 2011 at 3:37 PM

I’m loving it — even if the 83-44 Phillies have somehow managed to go 1-5 at games where I’m actually in attendance.

• firedude7160 - Aug 24, 2011 at 9:56 PM

I’m not one for superstitions, but could you stop going to games please… *sarcasm intended*

6. Will Rodeffer - Aug 24, 2011 at 3:37 PM

I still dig the winning, the offense is hard to watch occasionally but they’re winning and making a lot of revenue so it’s all good. It’s all about getting those October sellouts at home.

7. halladaysbiceps - Aug 24, 2011 at 3:38 PM

Howard Bryant is a damn moron. He says “the price of being a superpower can be, of all things, the loss of fun.” What????? This is the greatest era of baseball in the history of the city, and he says a loss of fun? This is the most excitement and fun all Phillies fans have ever had.

This guy is a typical ESPN loser that writes something anti-Philadelphia. Probably a New York or Boston fan.

Hey Howard Bryant, go write something about steriods or drug abuse in baseball. That’s all you are good for, loser.

• Will Rodeffer - Aug 24, 2011 at 3:42 PM

Oh my god, I’m tentatively agreeing with halladaysbiceps.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 24, 2011 at 3:46 PM

Because you know that Bryant has no frame of reference and usually writes crap. I’m guessing you are familiar with his work.

• kinggw - Aug 24, 2011 at 3:58 PM

How does pointing out that Phillies fans have become Yankees fans south make Bryant and/or Calcaterra a moron? Phillies fans are insufferable. Most of them are insufferable bandwagon fans. I would love for them to revisit this two or three years from now once their window closes. The story then will probably be, where did all the Phillies fans go?

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 24, 2011 at 4:08 PM

I said the ESPN writer of the article, Howard Bryant was a moron, not Craig Calcaterra. Read my post. And you don’t know Philly. So everything in your comment is useless.

• cur68 - Aug 24, 2011 at 4:11 PM

kinggw; Actually, HB made no reference to Craig. He only refers to the ESPN weens. In fact, his larger point is that the comparison itself is ridiculous. Yankee fans are used to winning: they have to be. The Universe wins all the time. To imply that the Phaitphull are ‘used to winning’ and are ‘no longer having fun’ based on some comparison to the what The Universe has done to it’s fanbase is laughable. If in 10 years the Phills are still rolling through the NL East like the Empire does in the AL East, then the whole linked article might be credible. But for now, any suggestion of ‘used to winning’ ignores all the long dry spells in recent memory. I do believe this is the point HB is making.

IMO the whole silly Bryant article is like commenting on how some poor single homeless mother who recently won the lottery is instantly a jaded rich person with no sense of pleasure in the simple joys of a day with a roof, meals and nice clothes. Ignorance of history is not a virtue.

• Jonny 5 - Aug 24, 2011 at 4:24 PM

Ahhhh, “Cur68″ a voice of reason as usual.

• Utley's Hair - Aug 24, 2011 at 5:17 PM

Canadians are the new Swiss. :P

• cur68 - Aug 24, 2011 at 5:50 PM

Yep, we’re the Swiss that likes a good hockey fight and produce excellent comedy actors and musicians. Mind you we’re also the Swiss that riot after the last game of the Stanley Cup finals. Damn Swiss and their hockey violence!

• yankeesfanlen - Aug 24, 2011 at 5:59 PM

Thank you cur. Don’t see many Yankees guys here, so I’ll give it a go.
        A continued streak of even a few years with success merely heightens fans expectations but does not diminish the game by game experience.
        Currently use Phillies and Red Sox fans as a reference.
        On bandwagon effect- We do not have many because it is not allowed. We KNOW the casual, and now the Metropolitans refugees, and reject them out of hand. [of course, Beep-beep has his own little corps, so we let these roam around to placate the old man]

i have no problem if Phillies fans want to be Yankees Fans South. Builds character.

• ThatGuy - Aug 24, 2011 at 4:35 PM

I am not really sure if you could say Howard Bryant was off in his article, but I would say it’s still premature. At this point it’s not like the Phillies are a Dynasty. They won the WS in 08′, returned and lost in 09′ and lost in the NLCS in 10′. Which is a hell of a run, but is that really dynasty territory yet? I don’t think so. Which means that the Phillies, after years of being bad(I think how bad you are probably has an effect on how long the fun stage lasts) are STILL in the fun stages. If in two or three years they are still NL top dogs by a long shot, and anything but a WS win/appearance is a disappointment of a season and the fans are still as active as now than maybe his article will have some weight.
      Another point that i’m not sure is mentioned is i’m not sure the fun really goes out of it for the die-hards(the type of people who spend all day on HBT talking about the phillies), this article maybe should been directed towards the casuals. When a team starts winning the bandwagon explodes, slowly as winning keeps happening the thrill is not there for the casuals.

I’m just spitballing here, being from Minnesota and not alive in the 70’s era for when the Vikings were good i’ve never seen or been fan of an actual dynasty.

8. heyblueyoustink - Aug 24, 2011 at 3:39 PM

Craig, am I having fun personally? Hell yeah! Not just a world series worthy rotation, a potential *all time* rotation, I imagine it’s alot like the showtime Lakers, the Yankees from, well, pick ‘em there, and being a Joey Chestnut fan ( boy just doesn’t lose ). What is there not to love?

No Rico Brogna, Omar Daal, no Greg Jeffries being your big offseason pickup. I mean those times were lousy, really really lousy. don’t go back and review the records, go back and take a look at some of those rosters.

Fun? For me, the fun is looking at the pitches, and players taking the field, and wondering just how many hall of famers might be on this squad right now.

Yep, that’s fun brother :-)

And anyone not having fun, total nerf herder.

• Alex K - Aug 24, 2011 at 3:45 PM

Nerf herder? I don’t know what it means, but I love it.

What does it mean?

• cur68 - Aug 24, 2011 at 3:51 PM

Ok, I got this one for you Alex:

also;

There. I may not know my Nyjer Morgan but I know my Nerf Herder!

• heyblueyoustink - Aug 24, 2011 at 3:51 PM

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Aug 24, 2011 at 3:55 PM

It’s someone who herds nerfs brah.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Aug 24, 2011 at 3:56 PM

• Lukehart80 - Aug 24, 2011 at 3:58 PM

Alex, your inability to recognize a line from “The Empire Strikes Back” is troubling.

• heyblueyoustink - Aug 24, 2011 at 3:59 PM

Nice quick draw cur, alas I am handicapped by this disease called work sometimes.

• cur68 - Aug 24, 2011 at 4:20 PM

Ahh the joys of being on an LOA to finish up my thesis. Thesis Avoidance is best served by HBT.

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 24, 2011 at 5:01 PM

I know the feeling blue. All the old people are freaking out about the potential hurricane making my day uber busy.

• Utley's Hair - Aug 24, 2011 at 5:46 PM

I said it before, and I will say it again: Sometimes, being a grownup really sucks.

9. GSheffield - Aug 24, 2011 at 3:43 PM

For most Phillies fans, baseball began in 2007-08. It couldn’t have lost its luster that quickly!

• dbick - Aug 24, 2011 at 4:48 PM

Always amuses me that once a team wins a world series everyone points to that year to say “most of their fans only thought baseball began in year X”. Phillies play in one of the biggest cities on the east coast and are a big market team, and likewise have always had a shitload of fans. Phils just get more attention now that they are a respectable franchise.

10. nolanwiffle - Aug 24, 2011 at 3:43 PM

I have a sneaking suspicion Phils fans are going to vomit all over this posting……speaking figuratively…….mostly.

11. Jonny 5 - Aug 24, 2011 at 3:44 PM

I yell, clap, and get excited for every single game I watch. I appreciate that I can do it much more recently.

12. Jay Seaver - Aug 24, 2011 at 3:46 PM

I wonder if he just took an article he wrote about the Red Sox five years ago and did a search-and-replace.

(Also: Red Sox fan. Still having fun!)

• Joe - Aug 24, 2011 at 4:22 PM

I’m a Sox fan, and I enjoy the team being good all the time, but I’m not sure RSN as a whole is having as much fun any more. I know it’s no fun listening to everybody complain about every single free agent signing (while simultaneously complaining that Theo didn’t sign the guys we used to have). Nor was it fun to listen to everybody write the team off by mid-April because they got off to a poor start. It can’t be a lot of fun to be the people who have all those complaints.

• Jay Seaver - Aug 24, 2011 at 4:51 PM

Yeah, but that happened pre-2004, too. Now the rational at least have ammunition with which to point out that this sort of panic is silly.

You know what’s sad? Nobody wrote columns like this for the White Sox. They snapped an epic no-championship run as well, but nobody acts like it was a big deal.

13. FC - Aug 24, 2011 at 3:46 PM

I’m having fun! There was a time in the 90’s before the proliferation of baseball websites and when you only occasionally had dial-up internet: the only way to know about the games was the newspaper, and I dutifully looked at each Phillies’s game, and more often than not they were losing :(

Actually I contend that in this baseball day and age with so much information overload and possibilities to watch or hear a game, just about EVERY fan should be having fun, instantly available highlight reels, game recaps, access to watch both leagues and catch every bit from every game. Even if your team is dead last and fading you get to savor the glorious moments. Because that’s the best thing about baseball, new day, new game, new story.

14. larryhockett - Aug 24, 2011 at 3:48 PM

As a life-long Phillies fan since the early 70’s, I can tell you this is the most fun we’ve ever had. Putting aside the obvious winning, there are qualities to this team that no Philadelphia team has ever exhibited for more than a part of a season or perhaps one full season. This Phillies team (meaning the 2007 to the present versions) comes through in the clutch, makes smart personnel moves, spends the money and does so with class and style and in a fashion doesn’t make everyone hate them. And by that last part, I mean hate the players, not the fans (who admittedly are easy to hate if you’re not one of them). Our entire sports lives, Philly teams undeachieve, come up lame in crucial situations, fail to put everything into it to win the game. We’ve never had a collection of total gamers including Utley, Halladay, Lee, Chooch, Victorino and now Pence.

Hopefully this team’s legacy will include multiple World Series and there is certainly some anxiety over whether they will live up to that. But at this point, in August, 2011, we are having the time of our lives.

15. yankeesgameday - Aug 24, 2011 at 3:48 PM

Eh. Welcome to my world. I just can’t watch regular season Yankee games without constantly thinking what the current slump, play, pitching fiasco, front office move or managerial decision would be like if it happened during a five game series vs Detroit or Texas. I can’t honestly remember the pure joy if watching a ballgame in june just for the fun of it. Nope, when you’re in this category all you think about is three weeks in October and everything else is preamble.

• yankeesgameday - Aug 24, 2011 at 5:12 PM

Ahhh, a few thumbs down. You guys must still care about the regular season like it means something more than just getting your team home field advantage throughout the playoffs.

The nouveau riche are so cute.

16. halladaysbiceps - Aug 24, 2011 at 3:50 PM

Another think. I have read this Howard Bryant’s dribble in the past. After I did, I was so unclean that I needed to take a shower. This guy sucks as a writer. Typical ESPN trash.

17. mojosmagic - Aug 24, 2011 at 3:52 PM

Life is good.

18. a125125125 - Aug 24, 2011 at 3:56 PM

The only thing that stresses out a Phillies fan is a GED exam.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 24, 2011 at 4:02 PM

And the only thing that stresses you out is a creative imagination with a handle like a125125125.

• a125125125 - Aug 24, 2011 at 4:10 PM

I tried to think of something as creative as halladaysbiceps but I didn’t want to offend Phillies fans with something like howardshugegut or utleysawfulsoulpatch or rollinstoothgap or polancosenormoushead, etc, etc.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 24, 2011 at 4:14 PM

Yeah, you are a typical loser that is jealous of the Phillies. My team has the best record in baseball and is loaded with All-Stars. Is that the best you got, simpleton?

• a125125125 - Aug 24, 2011 at 4:22 PM

Yep. That’s all I have.

Also…when you re-take the GED, be sure to give it “all you have” not “all you got.”

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 24, 2011 at 4:29 PM

Now you are a grammar guru, a125125125 (ridiculous handle, by the way). I probably have more education in my one pinky than you have in your entire body.

What’s your degree in, Rhetoric?

• a125125125 - Aug 24, 2011 at 4:33 PM

Do you “have” more education than I have? Or maybe….you got more education than I got?

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 24, 2011 at 4:36 PM

You waste my time. You are a clown. Last reply I have for you.

• a125125125 - Aug 24, 2011 at 4:38 PM

The last reply you have? Or the last reply you got? I understand you have to go….the GED doesn’t study for itself.

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 24, 2011 at 4:53 PM

Why are you correcting grammar in the comment section of a blog? Seriously man, it makes you come off as a pretentious tool.

• heyblueyoustink - Aug 24, 2011 at 4:55 PM

Yes sir, I know a GED gets under my skin!

• a125125125 - Aug 24, 2011 at 5:10 PM

Just to recap…..
        Correcting grammar on blogs makes you a pretentious tool.
        But
        Correcting people who correct grammar on blogs does NOT make you a pretentious tool.

Thanks for the advice, Doctor.

• Utley's Hair - Aug 24, 2011 at 5:23 PM

Nope. He didn’t say that correcting grammar made you a pretentious tool. He said it made you sound like one. I guess you need to practice your reading comprehension, Mr. Grammar.

Whether or not you are a pretentious tool is totally irrelevant to this diatribe of yours. Though you do sound like one.

• drmonkeyarmy - Aug 24, 2011 at 5:26 PM

You are correct sir. I was merely stating that correcting grammar on a blog is obnoxious. It isn’t like he was spewing incoherent nonsense. Also, nice implication there at there at the end. I like it. My handle is more of a joke than anything else. I do hold some advanced degrees, but I don’t go around yapping from a intellectual pedestal. Nor do I go around correcting grammar. That is a very English thing to do.

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Aug 24, 2011 at 4:45 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA! I miss these back-and-forths…I’ll stay away from this one though. Too tired really.

• Utley's Hair - Aug 24, 2011 at 5:08 PM

I’m impressed that trolls like a125125125 know how to spell GED.

19. youalldrinkhaterade - Aug 24, 2011 at 4:01 PM

Yeah! I’m not having any fun watching my team consistently be good…what kind of stupid statement are you agreeing with Craig??? are the red sox and yankees fans having less fun also? Why not add them in this “intelligent” piece? You wreak of being a Braves homer…200+ straight sellouts, yeah, we aren’t having any fun. You’re braves couldn’t get a sellout if they handed every ticket out for free (including during their ridiculous division title run). Atlanta = terrible sports town, get used to it…

20. Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Aug 24, 2011 at 4:01 PM

I’m having fun beating down the uppity Phils phans and watching my team try to chase them. These phans are such sadists that they actually like when I abuse them. Further, I enjoy inflicting the pain so much that I’m happy too b/c I get to hurt them and watch my own team succeed (yay wildcard!). Everyone is happy! BASEBALL = NIRVANA

Howard Bryant clearly doesn’t like baseball and doesn’t appreciate fans being happy so he can go punch himself in the scrote…unless he finds enjoyment in that, like these phanatic phreaks phind enjoyment in it.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 24, 2011 at 4:04 PM

Go Phu*ck yourself, El Bravo. :)

• Mr. Jason "El Bravo" Heyward - Aug 24, 2011 at 4:49 PM

I only phuck myself on days that end in ‘day’. Man I’ve cursed this board all over today with phucks and f@cks and F’s…sorry HBT, but I think you started it.

• larryhockett - Aug 24, 2011 at 4:10 PM

“Masochists,” Mr. Heyward. The phans are masochists such that they like it when you abuse them. Interestingly, Phillie fans are actually both sadists and masochists. Being a Phillie fan necessarily involves both dishing out and incurring pain.

21. scottj27 - Aug 24, 2011 at 4:07 PM

I just want to say, when I went to Phils-Nats in DC, I have never seen so many jean shorts in my life. I think that says just about everything you need to know about Phillies fans.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 24, 2011 at 4:11 PM

Jean shorts???? Not sure what you mean there. I guess you are a fan of speedos?

• kopy - Aug 24, 2011 at 4:24 PM

You may know them as jorts?

22. stevejeltzjehricurl - Aug 24, 2011 at 4:10 PM

I’m loving being a fan of a superpower. Am I nervous about every game? Sure, that comes with being a Philadelphia sports fan. You’re born into a culture where sports heartbreak is something that is obsessed over constantly and passed down, in every one of the four major sports. As a Philly sports fan, the following words trigger immediate pain: Leon Stickle, 1964, Blaine Bishop’s groin, “We Owe You One”, Joe Carter, Rod Martin, “Havlicek stole the ball!”… I could go on, but I don’t need to start banging my head into the desk. Hell, I wasn’t alive for at least a couple of these and was a kid for most of them, but being a Philly sports fan for most of my life has been associated with crushing defeat and long periods of mediocrity.

The Phillies have changed that. I live in DC, but I see Phillies paraphenalia all the time around here — the grocery store, the bar, the gym. I see Phillies games on TV even when I’m not at home with the MLB package. Hell, when I fly to other towns on the West Coast, I see Phillies hats and jerseys all the time. When I go home to Philly, the town is upbeat. It helps that the team won a World Series so recently (ask the Eagles what sustained success without a title brings you) and that RAJ and Charlie keep pushing to win now. We’ll all descend into biting fingernails and requiring tall glasses of bourbon to make it through the postseason, but for now… this is more fun than any alternative. Thanks, guys.

As for Howard Bryant’s article… ask me after a decade of sustained excellence. If in 2017, Jesse Biddle and Trevor May are having 20 win seasons at the back end of a rotation headed by RAJ’s latest acquisition (I don’t know who… Justin Verlander) and Domonic Brown is headed for his second straight MVP with the Phillies 40 games over .500… maybe I’ll be having less fun. Until then, whatever.

23. drunkenhooliganism - Aug 24, 2011 at 4:16 PM

If he’s saying that we’d get less fun and joy out of the team if they played well enough to make the playoffs and then lost in the world series, then we got out of the “lightning in a bottle” 93 Phillies, he’s probably right.

it’s probably even more true of yankees fans though. I mean do they really enjoy the Colon and Garcia starts? As a Phillies’ fan, we get a stud pitcher 4 out of 5 starts, and we get Worley, a rookie, on the other days. But I could get fun out of watching Utley, Pence and Rollins anytime and watching the potential violence in the swings of Howard and Mayberry. It’s a fun team to watch. The fact that we’re not certain that the Phillies will be 100% healthy in October and that the playoffs series are so short makes it more fun than just witnessing an inevitability.

24. dbick - Aug 24, 2011 at 4:21 PM

It is very different I will admit that, less fun I’m not sure. 2007-2008 were obviously amazing since it was the first time the Phillies were legit in over a decade, and even the 3-4 years before that when they were constantly in the hunt but couldn’t quite get over the hump were also extremely entertaining. Now it’s fun for a new reason, knowing that the team is amazing and should be a contender for at least the next 2-4 years and expecting at least one world series ring out of it. It’s also fun because it seems the phillies have turned a corner in their philosophy and are willing to spend money and act like the big market team they should have been a long time ago.

25. drmonkeyarmy - Aug 24, 2011 at 4:23 PM

I enjoy everyday of my life. I like watching the Phillies win or lose. The concept of pressure on fans is borderline insane…I am not out there playing the game, no pressure on me whatsoever. Also, I don’t take it too seriously. I seldom get all upset and riled up at the games anymore. Too old for that. One thing that does bother me is the constant stereotyping of Phillies fans…such as the GED comment above. This isn’t the 1980’s. The dynamic of the fan base has changed since the move out of the shit hole that was the Vet.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester