Aug 24, 2011, 10:00 AM EDT
Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post has a story today about how Ivan Rodriguez wants to continue to play — and continue to play in Washington — after his two-year contract is up after this season.
Given that he’s now completely ineffective with a bat and can’t stay healthy, one may ask what the value proposition is for the Nationals in keeping Rodriguez around. You’ll be shocked to learn that his agent, Scott Boras, has an idea about that:
“I think Pudge brings so much to a team. He and [Stephen Strasburg] have a very good relationship. Pudge has answers, because he’s been in the league so long. And his answers are very, very refined and simple to a lot of players. He can go up to a lot of players and say, ‘Look, I’ve been there, I’ve done that. Do this, do that. If you do this, this is what happens.’ And the players believe it, because he’s been in the league that long. I think there’s tremendous value. I see pitchers – great young arms – come into the big leagues, and it’s so difficult to develop them if there’s not a veteran catcher, or if there’s not a veteran No. 1 starter on the team.”
Can anyone tell me how Pudge couldn’t provide all of that value to the Nationals as a coach? And while we’re at it, in light of the Brian Schneider article yesterday, did someone declare it “sing the praises of backup catchers” week and not let me know? Because I have a “David Ross is your Daddy” post I’ve been saving for just such an occasion.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 11
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 36
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)