Aug 24, 2011, 10:00 AM EST
Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post has a story today about how Ivan Rodriguez wants to continue to play — and continue to play in Washington — after his two-year contract is up after this season.
Given that he’s now completely ineffective with a bat and can’t stay healthy, one may ask what the value proposition is for the Nationals in keeping Rodriguez around. You’ll be shocked to learn that his agent, Scott Boras, has an idea about that:
“I think Pudge brings so much to a team. He and [Stephen Strasburg] have a very good relationship. Pudge has answers, because he’s been in the league so long. And his answers are very, very refined and simple to a lot of players. He can go up to a lot of players and say, ‘Look, I’ve been there, I’ve done that. Do this, do that. If you do this, this is what happens.’ And the players believe it, because he’s been in the league that long. I think there’s tremendous value. I see pitchers – great young arms – come into the big leagues, and it’s so difficult to develop them if there’s not a veteran catcher, or if there’s not a veteran No. 1 starter on the team.”
Can anyone tell me how Pudge couldn’t provide all of that value to the Nationals as a coach? And while we’re at it, in light of the Brian Schneider article yesterday, did someone declare it “sing the praises of backup catchers” week and not let me know? Because I have a “David Ross is your Daddy” post I’ve been saving for just such an occasion.
- Roy Halladay is retiring 53
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 44
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 61
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 49
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 23
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)