Pudge Rodriguez wants to stay in Washington

Aug 24, 2011, 10:00 AM EDT

Milwaukee Brewers v Washington Nationals Getty Images

Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post has a story today about how Ivan Rodriguez wants to continue to play — and continue to play in Washington — after his two-year contract is up after this season.

Given that he’s now completely ineffective with a bat and can’t stay healthy, one may ask what the value proposition is for the Nationals in keeping Rodriguez around.  You’ll be shocked to learn that his agent, Scott Boras, has an idea about that:

“I think Pudge brings so much to a team. He and [Stephen Strasburg] have a very good relationship. Pudge has answers, because he’s been in the league so long. And his answers are very, very refined and simple to a lot of players. He can go up to a lot of players and say, ‘Look, I’ve been there, I’ve done that. Do this, do that. If you do this, this is what happens.’ And the players believe it, because he’s been in the league that long. I think there’s tremendous value. I see pitchers – great young arms – come into the big leagues, and it’s so difficult to develop them if there’s not a veteran catcher, or if there’s not a veteran No. 1 starter on the team.”

Can anyone tell me how Pudge couldn’t provide all of that value to the Nationals as a coach?  And while we’re at it, in light of the Brian Schneider article yesterday, did someone declare it “sing the praises of backup catchers” week and not let me know?  Because I have a “David Ross is your Daddy” post I’ve been saving for just such an occasion.

1. FC - Aug 24, 2011 at 10:07 AM

It’s Boras’ job to highlight his client’s best qualities to a prospective market. The fact that he chooses to focus on his play-calling abilities and veteran presence rather than his hitting or his defense should tell everything you need to know about Rodriguez’s value as a player. I’m reminded of Jayson Werth and his “my presence on the field should be enough” comments.

The man should retire. Enough is enough Pudge, you’ve had a stellar career, stop marring it with marginal seasons.

2. paul621 - Aug 24, 2011 at 10:49 AM

Stop marring his career? If it’s what he loves to do, and someone will let him do it, why should he stop? Granted, I wouldn’t give him a contract, but maybe it’s the fans, not the players, who care about tarnishing a legacy by hanging around.

• FC - Aug 24, 2011 at 1:51 PM

Mother always said if you can’t do it well it’s not worth doing. Of course I associate doing well with enjoyment. Some guys don’t do well and find fulfillment and enjoyment. It’s one thing if you are a career minor leaguer or haven’t excelled much beyond utility man in MLB. But for someone like Pudge when you’ve done what you’ve done, don’t you wonder one day: is it still fun? is it still fulfilling? I mean knowing your abilities are gone for good and displaying it on the field? Maybe Pudge doesn’t care about that and will keep playing regardless, if that’s his POV great. But man it really hurts watching that knowing what you watched a few years back. It’s kind of like watching Steve Carlton pitch in the late 80s and getting hammered time after time after knowing how much this guy dominated. That kind of thing CAN’T be enjoyable at all!!!

3. proudlycanadian - Aug 24, 2011 at 10:50 AM

I want to see the “David Ross is your Daddy” post.

• trevorb06 - Aug 24, 2011 at 11:19 AM

I’ll second this!

4. trevorb06 - Aug 24, 2011 at 11:22 AM

Interesting point in bringing up coaching for Pudge. Makes you wonder if he could potentially be a decent pitching coach as he’s been out there for so long watching good pitchers, bad pitchers, different technique, etc etc. I’m sure he’d need some training but I wouldn’t doubt he’d have some great insight into pitching from a different perspective.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3752)