Aug 24, 2011, 6:05 PM EST
Interesting waiver situation … cubs mulling a claim on Gavin Floyd that could could start talks on a multi-player trade w/white sox.
The 28-year-old Floyd is 11-10 with a 4.45 ERA this season. He just blanked the Rangers for seven innings last time out and he’s 5-1 in his last six starts. Also, he’s under control for the modest price of $7 million next year (plus a $9.5 million club option for 2013), so it’d be quite a surprise if a couple of AL contenders didn’t put in a claim just for the heck of it. He’d have to pass through the entire American League, plus the Astros, for the Cubs to be awarded a claim on him.
Regardless, a Floyd deal is a lot more likely to happen this winter when anyone can bid. The White Sox are currently looking at a rotation including John Danks, Jake Peavy, Floyd and Chris Sale for 2012. If Mark Buehrle can be re-signed, then Floyd may well be expendable. As is, he appears to be needed.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 28
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 283
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 49
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (283)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)