Aug 24, 2011, 6:05 PM EST
Interesting waiver situation … cubs mulling a claim on Gavin Floyd that could could start talks on a multi-player trade w/white sox.
The 28-year-old Floyd is 11-10 with a 4.45 ERA this season. He just blanked the Rangers for seven innings last time out and he’s 5-1 in his last six starts. Also, he’s under control for the modest price of $7 million next year (plus a $9.5 million club option for 2013), so it’d be quite a surprise if a couple of AL contenders didn’t put in a claim just for the heck of it. He’d have to pass through the entire American League, plus the Astros, for the Cubs to be awarded a claim on him.
Regardless, a Floyd deal is a lot more likely to happen this winter when anyone can bid. The White Sox are currently looking at a rotation including John Danks, Jake Peavy, Floyd and Chris Sale for 2012. If Mark Buehrle can be re-signed, then Floyd may well be expendable. As is, he appears to be needed.
- Blue Jays acquire Josh Donaldson in a trade with the Athletics 40
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 164
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (164)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)