Aug 24, 2011, 6:05 PM EST
Interesting waiver situation … cubs mulling a claim on Gavin Floyd that could could start talks on a multi-player trade w/white sox.
The 28-year-old Floyd is 11-10 with a 4.45 ERA this season. He just blanked the Rangers for seven innings last time out and he’s 5-1 in his last six starts. Also, he’s under control for the modest price of $7 million next year (plus a $9.5 million club option for 2013), so it’d be quite a surprise if a couple of AL contenders didn’t put in a claim just for the heck of it. He’d have to pass through the entire American League, plus the Astros, for the Cubs to be awarded a claim on him.
Regardless, a Floyd deal is a lot more likely to happen this winter when anyone can bid. The White Sox are currently looking at a rotation including John Danks, Jake Peavy, Floyd and Chris Sale for 2012. If Mark Buehrle can be re-signed, then Floyd may well be expendable. As is, he appears to be needed.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)