Aug 24, 2011, 2:14 PM EST
Colorado traded for Kevin Kouzmanoff yesterday and the initial reports had the Rockies assigning the veteran third baseman to Triple-A, where the A’s kept him stashed for the past several months, but less than 24 hours later they’ve decided to call him up.
Kouzmanoff will get a chance to play regularly at third base, where Ian Stewart is seemingly no longer in the Rockies’ plans. Stewart has been up and down between the minors and majors all season and is currently sidelined by a wrist injury at Triple-A.
Every indication is that the player to be named later going to Oakland for Kouzmanoff is a marginal prospect, so Colorado gets an inexpensive six-week look at him to determine if he’s a worthwhile option for 2012.
Even if Kouzmanoff impresses the Rockies they seem unlikely to retain him without negotiating a lower salary than the $5 million or so he’d be in line for via arbitration. Coors Field should aid his turnaround, but Kouzmanoff hit just .242 with a .666 OPS in 189 games for the A’s.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)