Aug 24, 2011, 2:14 PM EST
Colorado traded for Kevin Kouzmanoff yesterday and the initial reports had the Rockies assigning the veteran third baseman to Triple-A, where the A’s kept him stashed for the past several months, but less than 24 hours later they’ve decided to call him up.
Kouzmanoff will get a chance to play regularly at third base, where Ian Stewart is seemingly no longer in the Rockies’ plans. Stewart has been up and down between the minors and majors all season and is currently sidelined by a wrist injury at Triple-A.
Every indication is that the player to be named later going to Oakland for Kouzmanoff is a marginal prospect, so Colorado gets an inexpensive six-week look at him to determine if he’s a worthwhile option for 2012.
Even if Kouzmanoff impresses the Rockies they seem unlikely to retain him without negotiating a lower salary than the $5 million or so he’d be in line for via arbitration. Coors Field should aid his turnaround, but Kouzmanoff hit just .242 with a .666 OPS in 189 games for the A’s.
- Report: Pablo Sandoval and the Red Sox agree to a five-year deal at close to $100 million 0
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 15
- Report: Red Sox finalizing a 5-year, $90 million deal with Hanley Ramirez 26
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 23
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)