Aug 24, 2011, 12:48 PM EDT
At the trade deadline the Pirates chose not to make any high-impact moves, instead acquiring Derrek Lee and Ryan Ludwick in the hopes that the pair of underperforming veterans would turn things around at modest prices.
Since then the Pirates have plummeted out of the playoff picture, with Lee playing just five games before being placed on the disabled list with a fractured wrist, and now Ludwick has joined him on the shelf with back spasms.
Ludwick hit just .262 with one homer and a .722 OPS in 21 games before the injury, which isn’t exactly the type of right-handed thump the Pirates were hoping for from the 32-year-old outfielder.
- Rafael Soriano calls out Bryce Harper for the game-tying triple last night 11
- Apparently MLB is going to ignore Alex Sanabia throwing a spitball 18
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 55
- Mike Trout hits for cycle in Angels’ rout of Mariners 22
- Kevin Gausman will make Orioles debut on Thursday 6
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (116)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (105)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (92)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (73)
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- PHT: Sharks take Game 4, pull even with Kings
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2