Aug 24, 2011, 12:48 PM EST
At the trade deadline the Pirates chose not to make any high-impact moves, instead acquiring Derrek Lee and Ryan Ludwick in the hopes that the pair of underperforming veterans would turn things around at modest prices.
Since then the Pirates have plummeted out of the playoff picture, with Lee playing just five games before being placed on the disabled list with a fractured wrist, and now Ludwick has joined him on the shelf with back spasms.
Ludwick hit just .262 with one homer and a .722 OPS in 21 games before the injury, which isn’t exactly the type of right-handed thump the Pirates were hoping for from the 32-year-old outfielder.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 6
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 14
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 2
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 359
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (359)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (73)