Aug 24, 2011, 12:48 PM EDT
At the trade deadline the Pirates chose not to make any high-impact moves, instead acquiring Derrek Lee and Ryan Ludwick in the hopes that the pair of underperforming veterans would turn things around at modest prices.
Since then the Pirates have plummeted out of the playoff picture, with Lee playing just five games before being placed on the disabled list with a fractured wrist, and now Ludwick has joined him on the shelf with back spasms.
Ludwick hit just .262 with one homer and a .722 OPS in 21 games before the injury, which isn’t exactly the type of right-handed thump the Pirates were hoping for from the 32-year-old outfielder.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 14
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 18
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)