Aug 24, 2011, 12:16 PM EST
This has been a helluva week for early 2000s prospect busts.
Williams and Burroughs were both first-round picks in the late 1990s and the 2001 version of Baseball America‘s annual prospect ranking had Burroughs at No. 6 and Williams at No. 19. Josh Hamilton held the top spot, followed by Corey Patterson, Josh Beckett, Jon Rauch, and Ben Sheets.
Since then Williams and Burroughs have combined for 24 wins and 12 homers, and they haven’t been in the majors together since 2007. Burroughs’ long journey back to the big leagues is particularly interesting and his opportunity in Arizona stems from Kevin Towers being the general manager who drafted him in San Diego.
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 0
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 28
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 154
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 42
- Carlos Beltran likely to land with the Royals? 16
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (154)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (85)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (78)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (70)
- Robinson Cano says he never asked for $300 million (69)