Aug 24, 2011, 12:16 PM EDT
This has been a helluva week for early 2000s prospect busts.
Williams and Burroughs were both first-round picks in the late 1990s and the 2001 version of Baseball America‘s annual prospect ranking had Burroughs at No. 6 and Williams at No. 19. Josh Hamilton held the top spot, followed by Corey Patterson, Josh Beckett, Jon Rauch, and Ben Sheets.
Since then Williams and Burroughs have combined for 24 wins and 12 homers, and they haven’t been in the majors together since 2007. Burroughs’ long journey back to the big leagues is particularly interesting and his opportunity in Arizona stems from Kevin Towers being the general manager who drafted him in San Diego.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 0
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 11
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)