Aug 24, 2011, 11:00 AM EDT
Bill Ladson of MLB.com says that the Nationals don’t intend to pursue to Prince Fielder in free agency this winter. Normally this kind of thing wouldn’t be terribly significant, especially in August, but it probably matters here.
As we’ve seen these past few years, the Nationals have become Scott Boras’ huckleberry. If he’s got a guy who needs signed or drafted, Mike Rizzo will pick up the phone. Fielder is a Boras guy. Boras’ biggest guy this winter. Given the recent track record, it would not be at all surprising for people to speculate the Nats are in the bidding.
Indeed, it’s not at all hard to believe that Boras and whatever media surrogates he can muster will do their best to spread the word of the Nationals’ totally serious interest in making a big splash. They’ll point to the improved Nats’ team. The prospect of Stephen Strasburg and Bryce Harper on the horizon. The fact that, as the Jayson Werth deal showed, they’re not afraid to spend money. They’ll use that to try to convince some other team who may be interested in Fielder that they had best bid high or not bother.
And with this report — assuming it’s true — it seems like the Nats are unwilling to be party to those kinds of games.
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 18
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 49
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 103
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 20
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (103)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)