Aug 24, 2011, 11:00 AM EST
Bill Ladson of MLB.com says that the Nationals don’t intend to pursue to Prince Fielder in free agency this winter. Normally this kind of thing wouldn’t be terribly significant, especially in August, but it probably matters here.
As we’ve seen these past few years, the Nationals have become Scott Boras’ huckleberry. If he’s got a guy who needs signed or drafted, Mike Rizzo will pick up the phone. Fielder is a Boras guy. Boras’ biggest guy this winter. Given the recent track record, it would not be at all surprising for people to speculate the Nats are in the bidding.
Indeed, it’s not at all hard to believe that Boras and whatever media surrogates he can muster will do their best to spread the word of the Nationals’ totally serious interest in making a big splash. They’ll point to the improved Nats’ team. The prospect of Stephen Strasburg and Bryce Harper on the horizon. The fact that, as the Jayson Werth deal showed, they’re not afraid to spend money. They’ll use that to try to convince some other team who may be interested in Fielder that they had best bid high or not bother.
And with this report — assuming it’s true — it seems like the Nats are unwilling to be party to those kinds of games.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)