There are a bunch of reasons Theo Epstein wouldn’t work for the Cubs, but let’s not let that stop our speculation

Aug 24, 2011, 10:30 AM EDT

Carl Crawford Signs with the Boston Red Sox Getty Images

I want the Cubs to hire their new GM quickly. Why? To spare us from speculation pieces with passages like this one from Olney’s column this morning:

And here’s another big name to keep in mind: Theo Epstein, the general manager of the Red Sox … Keep in mind that Epstein has carved out a strong position under Red Sox owners Henry and Tom Werner, and friends say he has a deep loyalty to the Boston organization — and keep in mind that Boston is his hometown, and that Epstein is in the middle of his current contract … There’s no telling how Henry would react, or how Ricketts would handle that situation, or what Epstein would want, until those conversations take place.

So there’s no suggestion that the Cubs are interested in Epstein, no suggestion that Epstein wants to go anywhere and he’s locked up for several more years?  Well hell, you may as well start clearing out a new office for him already.

Theo Epstein and Brian Cashman are great GMs who make a load of money, have near-infinite resources at their disposal and, time after time, say they’re not interested in going anyplace else.  In light of that, it seems like we should demand more than “[Epstein or Cashman] would be a good fit” stories.  Of course they’d be good fits. They’d be good fits anyplace.  But it strikes me that there’s gotta be some there there before we go there, ya know?

1. halladaysbiceps - Aug 24, 2011 at 10:41 AM

Jayson Stark was on the Mike and Mike show the other morning talking about the Cubs GM opening the other day. He put it this way, and I’m paraphrasing: “There has been speculation that no high profile GM would want the Cubs job. This can’t be further from the truth. It would be almost any GM’s dream to take a Cubs team that hasn’t won a World Series in the last 100 years, has a 125 million dollar payroll and the commitment of a new owner that wants to win at all costs.”

In my opinion if the Cubs are smart, they open the safe and throw alot of money in the direction of Pat Gillick and put him in charge of everything. He may be the smartest baseball man in the game. Everywhere he goes, he wins.

• FC - Aug 24, 2011 at 10:45 AM

Which is why I would like Pat to stay pat and keep advising the Phillies :-)

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 24, 2011 at 10:50 AM

I want Gillick to stay too. But, a guy like Gillick is always looking for new challenges. I bet you anything that if the Cubs agreed to turn everything over to Gillick and gave him complete power, he would go to the Cubs just for the ultimate challenge. If Gillick brought the Cubs a WS, the good people of Chicago would build a statue of him the size of the Sears tower.

• nudeman - Aug 24, 2011 at 11:26 AM

halladaysbiceps

“In my opinion if the Cubs are smart, they open the safe and throw alot of money in the direction of Pat Gillick …”

One problem: The Cubs AREN’T smart and never have been in my 50+ years as a Cub fan

Next idea?

2. proudlycanadian - Aug 24, 2011 at 10:47 AM

More useless speculation from Olney.

• halladaysbiceps - Aug 24, 2011 at 10:53 AM

I don’t mind when “Busta” Olney put his speculative pieces out there. What I do mind is when the guy puts blantant lies and false reports out there on team activities that later are deemed incorrect. I’ve seen it from the guy time and again over the years. I take nothing the guy reports with any validity. I actually just laugh at this point.

3. tuftsb - Aug 24, 2011 at 10:59 AM

Epstein would like to have more authority, but he is blocked in Boston and friction with members of the organization still exists..

Unless Pres/CEO Larry Lucchino (whose contract runs out in 2012) does not get a contract extension (unlikely) or becomes Commissioner (possible), Epstein should seriously consider a move to Chicago.

Anyone who could claim ending a Red Sox drought and Cubs century of misfortune would be viewed as a miracle worker.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Aug 24, 2011 at 12:10 PM

Quick question, but unlike the Rays, aren’t the trio of Lucchino/Henry and the other all part owners? So wouldn’t they have to buyout Lucchino if they don’t re-up his contract?

4. trevorb06 - Aug 24, 2011 at 11:03 AM

May I borrow a few other hands so I can get the quadruple facepalm after reading this?

5. tuftsb - Aug 24, 2011 at 11:28 AM

Looking online I found that Ricketts wants to keep club President Crane Kenney, so Epstein – and Friedman in Tampa – are “no’s” to take the job.

6. yankeesfanlen - Aug 24, 2011 at 11:41 AM

Would it make any sense to anyone if I equated Theo Epstein and Brian Cashman to George Weiss?
    The challenge is continued excellence, not impossible feats.

7. deathmonkey41 - Aug 24, 2011 at 12:41 PM

Theo Epstein and Brian Cashman are [b]great GMs[/b] who make a load of money

Is Craig saying something nice about the Red Sox and Yankees? Earthquake yesterday, hurricane approaching this weekend, and now Craig being complimentary to two of the highest payrolls. I have to ask- is Armageddon near?

8. patsandsox - Aug 24, 2011 at 1:01 PM

My guess is Cashman stays with the Yankees. I dont see Theo going anywhere.
    This is so stupid an article I cannot believe I read it. Just make up lies and speculaton and print it is what passes for journalism today I guess. Sad really

9. cosmoman11 - Aug 24, 2011 at 2:19 PM

No brainer for the Cubs. Rick Hahn, currently assistant GM of the ChiSox.

Alex Gordon, MVP candidate