There’s allegedly a “secret plan” to keep the Rays in St. Petersburg

Aug 24, 2011, 2:00 PM EST

Tropicana Field AP

I like this story a lot. Not because it has any new information, really, but because it involves a mayor of a large U.S. city basically saying “I have a secret and I can’t tell you so nyah, nyah nyah.”

Short version: the Rays want out of St. Pete because its not economically viable to play in the Trop. While the city has a pretty iron-clad lease requiring that the Rays stay, there are allegedly conversations being had about a plan that would either keep the Rays in St. Pete in a manner more to the team’s liking or that would allow them to look elsewhere without penalty or … something.

And that’s where the silliness comes in, with the mayor making oblique allusions to secret plans — he actually uses the term “secret plan” — that no one besides him apparently knows about.

Politics has become so polished and detached from the human experience. I love it when once in a while the polish comes off and you see public officials acting like little kids or something.

1. kopy - Aug 24, 2011 at 2:09 PM

Isn’t this what little kids do? “Yes, I finished my homework. I just don’t want to show it to you!”

2. Detroit Michael - Aug 24, 2011 at 2:41 PM

Didn’t Nixon have a secret plan to end the U.S. involvement in the Vietnam War (which didn’t end until four years after he was elected?) One wonders whether bombing Cambodia was part of the original secret plan or a later improvisation.

OK, I’m showing my age here.

3. Jonny 5 - Aug 24, 2011 at 2:49 PM

“The Trop”? Naaaa, It’s “The Trap”.

• kopy - Aug 24, 2011 at 2:55 PM

• Jonny 5 - Aug 24, 2011 at 3:13 PM

Closer to the “family guy” version though….

4. APBA Guy - Aug 24, 2011 at 3:23 PM

Florida state politics is bad enough, but some of their city stuff is amazing. I just got back from a week there and it just leaves your head spinning. No surprise there is a “secret” plan that involves big money interests.

5. rtatar85 - Aug 24, 2011 at 3:41 PM

I got it. Tampa Rays of St. Petersburg.

6. mojosmagic - Aug 24, 2011 at 10:26 PM

He will raise money to build a modern, new stadium by putting a taxes on dentures, false teeth and hair dye products. The mayor is after all” the most moronic man in the world”.

7. fishmatt - Aug 25, 2011 at 3:12 AM

“I love it when once in a while the polish comes off and you see public officials acting like little kids or something.”

I disagree, unfurtunately politicians in this country act like children more often than not.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester