Aug 24, 2011, 2:00 PM EDT
I like this story a lot. Not because it has any new information, really, but because it involves a mayor of a large U.S. city basically saying “I have a secret and I can’t tell you so nyah, nyah nyah.”
Short version: the Rays want out of St. Pete because its not economically viable to play in the Trop. While the city has a pretty iron-clad lease requiring that the Rays stay, there are allegedly conversations being had about a plan that would either keep the Rays in St. Pete in a manner more to the team’s liking or that would allow them to look elsewhere without penalty or … something.
And that’s where the silliness comes in, with the mayor making oblique allusions to secret plans — he actually uses the term “secret plan” — that no one besides him apparently knows about.
Politics has become so polished and detached from the human experience. I love it when once in a while the polish comes off and you see public officials acting like little kids or something.
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 8
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 31
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 71
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (76)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)