Aug 24, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT
Colorado claimed Wandy Rodriguez and his contract off waivers yesterday, which should make it awfully weird when he takes the mound at Coors Field this afternoon to face the Rockies. Assuming they don’t work out a trade with the Astros by then, of course.
Rodriguez is scheduled to face Aaron Cook about 20 hours before tomorrow’s noon deadline to complete a deal. If the two sides can’t agree to terms, Rodriguez will be pulled back off waivers and remain in Houston.
When asked about the weird situation Rodriguez called it “hard” and “bad” and generally just seemed uneasy about facing the team he may soon be joining. As for the likelihood of a deal being reached, Steve Campbell of the Houston Chronicle reports that the Astros aren’t willing to simply let the Rockies take Rodriguez and his contract off their hands “without receiving what the team considers significant talent in return.”
I wrote yesterday that Rodriguez is underrated, because he’s consistently been a top-25 starter and his contract isn’t as huge as some might suggest, but the odds of Houston clearing his salary off the books and getting “significant talent” seems very slim. Of course, as Campbell notes they may decide to wait until the offseason when it’s possible to negotiate with 29 teams instead of one team.
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 0
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 9
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 78
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 19
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 8
- There’s nothing better than a Game 7? Well, maybe there is. 23
- Report: Cubs hire Joe Maddon as manager 61
- World Series, Game 7: Giants vs. Royals lineups 3
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (277)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (146)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)