Aug 24, 2011, 10:15 AM EDT
Colorado claimed Wandy Rodriguez and his contract off waivers yesterday, which should make it awfully weird when he takes the mound at Coors Field this afternoon to face the Rockies. Assuming they don’t work out a trade with the Astros by then, of course.
Rodriguez is scheduled to face Aaron Cook about 20 hours before tomorrow’s noon deadline to complete a deal. If the two sides can’t agree to terms, Rodriguez will be pulled back off waivers and remain in Houston.
When asked about the weird situation Rodriguez called it “hard” and “bad” and generally just seemed uneasy about facing the team he may soon be joining. As for the likelihood of a deal being reached, Steve Campbell of the Houston Chronicle reports that the Astros aren’t willing to simply let the Rockies take Rodriguez and his contract off their hands “without receiving what the team considers significant talent in return.”
I wrote yesterday that Rodriguez is underrated, because he’s consistently been a top-25 starter and his contract isn’t as huge as some might suggest, but the odds of Houston clearing his salary off the books and getting “significant talent” seems very slim. Of course, as Campbell notes they may decide to wait until the offseason when it’s possible to negotiate with 29 teams instead of one team.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 55
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)